Barometric Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there places that have minimal barometric pressure changes and if so, would we all feel better if we lived in those places?
I’m looking to retire in 3-5 years and would like a place where my body felt better without a ton of drugs.
I think it may be different for different people.
For me, living in a very warm and DRY climate is best. I live in the desert, and it works best for me.

Last week, I went on a hike that I have done literally dozens of times, maybe over a hundred times. I have never once had a problem with that hike, .....it's up and down a mountain but still a very easy hike for someone like me who has been a dedicated hiker for so many years.

But that day it was unusual - damp and foggy. It made the hike beautiful, with all the mist, but by the time I started back down I was in so much pain that the return hike was a severe endurance test. It was slightly cold as well, but I was dressed for it and not cold. I am sure it was the dampness that made my body react.

I know a lot of people live where I do because the climate is easy on their bodies. Many, many people come here in the winter for the warmth and dryness, to get away from their cold winters. We call them "snow birds".

If you are sincere about finding a different place to live, you might try one of the places that have a warmer and dryer climate than you have. If you live in WA, it is not especially warm in the winter, and if you live in the western part of the state, it is a rain forest year 'round. Try spending time in a desert and see if you feel any better. Life is too short to live in a place that exacerbates your condition.

Interesting. When you say you live in the desert are you talking about high desert like Albuquerque or low desert like Phoenix? I spent a week in New Mexico last August and by the end of the week I felt 20 years younger. I’m going back to Albuquerque this August and I want to see how I do there again. I live in Seattle and it’s cold and wet and I am struggling. I can’t leave anytime soon due to my profession but perhaps one day I’ll need to move elsewhere. Thank you.

Hi Lilac, I live in medium-low desert. Not as high at ABQ, not as low as Phoenix. Temperatures get well over 100 in the summer, and it often gets down to the 30s at night in the winter, but most of the winter it warms up into the 50s , 60s and even 70s every day, with dry air and brilliant sunshine. The sun shines all year round and I l♥ve that. Almost every day is a beautiful day!

If you seriously cannot stand heat, you might want to make a plan to go elsewhere for June, July, and August. Or, just do as I did when I came here,; I arrived in the mid-summer and I just went out in the heat a little every day until I adjusted. Now I don't mind the heat at all, except I regret that it curtails outdoor activity like hiking. But, if you live near mountains, you can always go up there to hike. July and August are Monsoon season, and the rain is warm and really nice.

Thanks! Do you think the dry warm air has been positive for your Fibro pain?

Thanks! Do you think the dry warm air has been positive for your Fibro pain?
I absolutely know for a fact that it has been!
I used to live in the PNW. I wouldn't go back to live there for anything in the world; not love, not a million dollars, nothing. Mentally and physically it is that much better here for me.

I'm new, hi. I was just wondering this today. I am recently diagnosed. This morning I felt OK. Then the storm started to come in and my body felt electric. Horrid sensations all over my skin. This is the third storm I've had this reaction this severe. Usually my skin is a constant fells like someone took it off, beat it with a bat, then put it back on. They tried gab and my kids couldn't even touch me it hurt so bad. All day I have been so tense in my muscles from the pain of my skin. The chills non stop waves of it and electric sensations.

I know what all of that feels like and can sympathize! Hang in there. I believe that with careful observation and trial and error you can figure out what works best for you. It is not a short or easy process, but the alternative is to be at the mercy of the disease and whatever the current doctor thinks, which may not be the best thing for you.

Anyone have more trouble with barometric changes? If so, how does it affect you?
I live in Calgary where we get chinooks and massive fronts come in over the Rockies - so yes, whenever it goes from a HI to a Low pressure front I get increased pain, and headaches and all I have to do is look out my back window and see the clouds to know what is causing it.

I live in Calgary where we get chinooks and massive fronts come in over the Rockies - so yes, whenever it goes from a HI to a Low pressure front I get increased pain, and headaches and all I have to do is look out my back window and see the clouds to know what is causing it.
Longtimer, I used to live in Calgary. :) Very familiar with the Chinook phenomenon.

Hi, I live in the high desert of southeastern Colorado. Barometric pressure impacts my muscles and my cognition. It is particularly noticeable as the b.p. Is rising or falling. Once it stabilizes I feel some better. On the plains just east of the Sangre de Cristos wind is a frequent companion. Wind is awful for me.
I hope the validation helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back