Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
CA
State
ON
My bed is about 11 years old, so I'm due for a new one. I've heard about beds made for chronic pain sufferers. Does anyone have any insight into them? Are some pillows better than others?

What kind of pillow have you used in the past? I find feather/down pillows work the best for me. As far as beds? Lol , I need a new one too. If you look online, Amazon has some good buys right now. Good luck.

We got a memory foam mattress. Memory foam is not for everyone, but i like it. It is warmer because it acts as an insulator. For me it is the right combo of soft surface and firm core.

As far as pillows go, I either use no pillow or a very thin, soft pillow or my neck hurts terribly.

I bought a memory foam bed - quite an investment - right before my neck surgery 4 years ago and sadly it was the worst decision for me. It is just not made for my body, but I know a lot of people are very happy with one.

Back when I had a job, I used to travel around the world and they'd always book me in Hilton hotels. I have to say their beds are the comfiest beds I have ever slept on! I was jealous to see you can order them in the US/Canada.

I believe in Canada, there is a wider variety of beds, and maybe the possibility to try them out for a few nights. (sadly not where I live, which is so stupid and unfair). I'd definitely take my time in the store, go there on a bad day, on a good day, on an ok day. It is not only a big investment, but one of the most important investments in your life.

As for pillows - my pillow struggle was hell. I've had 2 neck surgeries and my neck is still extremely painful.. I've tried 14 different pillows, including very expensive ones (though never down/feather ones. I can't have tortured animals in my bed). In the beginning one pillow was good, but only for a month, then I'd have to switch to another, to stay on that for a few weeks, then a few nights with no pillow, but a towel rolled up under my neck etc.

This went on for almost 2 years. Then I got a frozen shoulder....I thought my pillow nightmare would become even worse, but the injury made my body finally accept one single pillow! finally!!! It is a very very fluffy one - one I can adjust according to my position.

A very important note; when in bed laying down on your back, make sure your face is completely looking up the ceiling. Most pillows will not allow that and will push your neck towards your chest.

And when you lie on your side, have other pillows around to support your knees, my arms, lower leg etc. I have 4 pillows on my bed every night, and they each have a different role!!!!

Good luck on your quest to a good night's sleep!

When I got a bed, I decided to get a Casper (online purchase). I liked that they have a good long trial period and actually honor their guarantee. If you don't like the mattress, for whatever reason, you can 'return' it (you arrange for a charity to pick it up and they refund your money). from what I've read, the major brands make it very difficult for you to return an unsatisfactory mattress, and the reading I did on Casper seemed to indicate that they are very good about giving your money back if you don't like the bed. Trying before you buy doesn't work, because you'd really have to spend several nights on a bed to tell if it's right for you. Casper is very firm, but I figured if I ever found it too hard, I could buy either a wool or memory foam topper. I actually like it the way it is - it did take a couple of weeks to soften, but once it did, I found it the right firmness for me. Being foam, it is a bit hot in summer, but not too bad.

As for pillows, I have a variety and I rotate. I have one of those formed cervical memory foam pillows, a feather pillow, a thin synthetic and latex. Usually I have the cervical under my neck and the feather hips to knee. If my shoulders hurt or my hands are going numb, I'll hug one of the pillows. If I'm having neck pain or extra bad hip pain, I'll switch things out - the cervical hip to knees and the latex or feather under my head. If I use the feather, I can often 'form' it so I have some support under my neck. I find the change helps for awhile, and then i'll have to rotate again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back