Not open for further replies.

Bessie Bunter

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
3/2019
Country
UK
Hi, everyone, i was just wondering which mattresses people find the most comfortable for chronic fibromyalgia, all help greatly appreciated, so sick of being in constant pain especially my legs

Hi Bessie, and welcome to the forum. You will get probably a different reply from everyone on something like this because it is so very personal that no one thing will work for everyone. I need a mattress that is very firm but has a sort of cushy top to it. Others need something soft, and others swear by memory foam. You just have to try different things as best you can in order to find out what works for you.

What kind of pain do you have in your legs? I ask because there are various things you can do to help alleviate the pain, including many things that do not involve taking medication.

I would like to direct you to the "sticky" Advice post at the very top of the General forum heading, which is a collection of many things that you can do to help manage and live with all of the various aspects of Fibromyalgia. Read, and see if you can start implementing some of the ideas into your life, as something there may be very helpful to you.

Hey Bessie,

I found that a 5cm memory foam/viscogel mattress topper (I spent around £170) on top of a really firm mattress was my sweet spot. Before that, bedtime was something I dreaded because I got such bad pressure pain - and a soft mattress isn't an option because I have back issues. But, I suspect Sunkacola's right - we all seem to experience such different pain symptoms, that the perfect solution for each of us is probably quite tricky to predict. Could be worth experimenting though!

@sunkacola, I meant to ask - did you ever try out a mattress topper in the end? (Or maybe I asked and then forgot.... :unsure: Not sure!)

I have a casper memory foam mattress work great most of the time even though its supposed to be cooling sometimes makes me feel like im on fire but my husband doesn't feel the same so i guess its just me

hi Bessie Bunter! I need advice on a good mattress too! Like brand. I always pegged myself for soft squishy but I don't think that's the case anymore. I think I need something more firm as well. I get severe pain in my spine. Im always trying to sleep with pillows under my side etc. I seriously want the TV bed with remote. The sleep number?
Mattress sales people went helpful. The mattress I got felt great when I laid on it in the store. A year later it had like the low spots sinking in. I was like 120 pounds so that shouldn't happen. My son has a cheap memory foam mattress and laying in his bed seems better than my more expensive mattress.. So I guess research on good high quality. A mattress store is overwhelming. There's 30 white mattress ranging from $300 to $3000.

Maybe we should check these out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-225152_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211123-225152_Chrome.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 28
Had another thought, Bessie!

I have some small foam bolster pillows, shaped like the ones below, that I can't sleep without. I put them under my hips, between my knees, under my tailbone - whatever allows me to lay still without a sharp spine pain. They're very affordable, so perhaps that would help you too!

7771ad88-f711-4c36-abb3-272c79a1c97d_1.0bc018c0114258eab7ff310a400d9e9a.jpg
S_723588-MLM30164189223_042019-O_5c072a99-b12a-4860-84aa-f2f4d7f3e8f0_500x500.jpg

My casper is great especially with my back issues, we got med firm. I have had 3 back surgeries. my back rarely hurts unless I've been overdoing it lol

My casper is great especially with my back issues, we got med firm. I have had 3 back surgeries. my back rarely hurts unless I've been overdoing it lol
That's impressive! Isn't modern medicine epic?!

Hey Bessie,

I found that a 5cm memory foam/viscogel mattress topper (I spent around £170) on top of a really firm mattress was my sweet spot. Before that, bedtime was something I dreaded because I got such bad pressure pain - and a soft mattress isn't an option because I have back issues. But, I suspect Sunkacola's right - we all seem to experience such different pain symptoms, that the perfect solution for each of us is probably quite tricky to predict. Could be worth experimenting though!

@sunkacola, I meant to ask - did you ever try out a mattress topper in the end? (Or maybe I asked and then forgot.... :unsure: Not sure!)
I have been going back and forth between the three inch and the two inch. the two inch would be the 5cm pad that you got. I keep thinking that for not that much more I should get the extra inch, but it does add to the weight of the pad, which is already hefty. Now that I am reminded that you found great relief with the 2 inch, I am just about decided to go with that. I found one that has the "cooling gel" in it, that got a lot of good reviews on Amazon, so I think I will be ordering that pretty soon as a present from me to me. :)

I have been going back and forth between the three inch and the two inch. the two inch would be the 5cm pad that you got. I keep thinking that for not that much more I should get the extra inch, but it does add to the weight of the pad, which is already hefty. Now that I am reminded that you found great relief with the 2 inch, I am just about decided to go with that. I found one that has the "cooling gel" in it, that got a lot of good reviews on Amazon, so I think I will be ordering that pretty soon as a present from me to me. :)
I say go for it! Knowing that the difference was so big for me with that thickness, and that you're quite a bit more slender, I imagine it will be helpful. I wish you every success ✨

I say go for it! Knowing that the difference was so big for me with that thickness, and that you're quite a bit more slender, I imagine it will be helpful. I wish you every success ✨
Thanks, Jemima. I think I will go for the 2 inch. I do keep forgetting that I weigh less than most adults do. :cool:

One time years ago I was working in an office and we got new chairs, adjustable. I couldn't get mine to go down from its top position and I needed it lower. Frustrated, I was trying this, trying that....
It was finally pointed out to me that maybe I didn't weigh enough to make the chair go down! That made for a good laugh.

If that's not enough there are more ideas/experiences on fibromyalgiaresources.
As my body needs it all natural/organic and hard/soft at the same time, I need a straw mattress with soft topper plus lambskin under lower back/thighs, 2 pillows and a hart spelt cushion under my kyphosis for a few minutes off and on.

I ordered my memory foam topper at last. I am getting the 2", and looking forward to finding out if it helps. A friend has one and let me lie on it to test it out. Felt nice, but of course one cannot tell from that - what matters is how it feels when you sleep on it and how you feel in the morning. I have a good mattress but it is several years old, so I think the topper might be the right thing. I found one that has great reviews, and doesn't cost very much at all. I will report in when I have slept on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back