Not open for further replies.

Pottens

Reason
Other
Country
US
State
IL
Since I started using a CPAP for sleep apnea I have acquired BMS burning mouth syndrome, constant spitting of phlegm and went from 12 years of diarrhea to total constipation, what gives anyone else?

Hi Pottens,

My mother suffers from burning mouth syndrome due to a necessary medication, and it seems like a horrible thing to deal with. I've never used a CPAP, but understand that they can cause mouth dryness. Many people with fibromyalgia suffer from dry mucous membranes - this can manifest as dry mouth (xerostomia), dry eyes, and even nose bleeds - which in turn can cause BMS. So, perhaps combined factors are compounding what you are experiencing. Dehydration is bound to make this worse, so do drink more water if you aren't already. Medications can trigger xerostomia and BMS, so perhaps review any prescriptions/supplements that you're taking with your doctor. Sicca Syndrome and Sjögren’s Syndrome could also be something to look at. If mouth dryness is indeed the cause, there are apparently mouthwashes and medications that can trigger more saliva production - perhaps that would be helpful. That's the best I can advise, not being an expert 🙃 I'd consult with a doctor or perhaps even a dentist. I really hope you get to the bottom of everything and feel better soon!

Hi Pottens,

My mother suffers from burning mouth syndrome due to a necessary medication, and it seems like a horrible thing to deal with. I've never used a CPAP, but understand that they can cause mouth dryness. Many people with fibromyalgia suffer from dry mucous membranes - this can manifest as dry mouth (xerostomia), dry eyes, and even nose bleeds - which in turn can cause BMS. So, perhaps combined factors are compounding what you are experiencing. Dehydration is bound to make this worse, so do drink more water if you aren't already. Medications can trigger xerostomia and BMS, so perhaps review any prescriptions/supplements that you're taking with your doctor. Sicca Syndrome and Sjögren’s Syndrome could also be something to look at. If mouth dryness is indeed the cause, there are apparently mouthwashes and medications that can trigger more saliva production - perhaps that would be helpful. That's the best I can advise, not being an expert 🙃 I'd consult with a doctor or perhaps even a dentist. I really hope you get to the bottom of everything and feel better soon!
Thank you so much.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but early this year I suffered a bout of stomatitis. I thought from the internet it might be burning mouth syndrome, as my mouth really hurt - gums were sore, then mouth, then tongue, and so on. I was told it was a viral infection after surgery I had, that attacked when my immunes defenses were down. But it was very painful at times. I sought medical help seven times and had two bouts of prednisone and flare-ups before it went away finally. What a way to recover from surgery. I absolutely have dry mouth from meds, every morning. I have also found no help from the lozenges, sprays, etc. that are supposed to help when it was horrible. A dentist I saw agreed with me but wouldn't weigh in on what caused it, most people didn't. They didn't know, and now I suddenly sense a fibro link perhaps. For what it's worth, thought I would share.

I don’t use a Cpap but I developed BMS when I was officially in menopause. That was whe I was 51. Im
55, now. The only thing that has dialed the burning mouth pain down from a 10 to a 2, l has been taking an ultra low dose (20mgs per day) of amitriptyline (Elavil). It works for neuropathic pain. Also, I just started gabapentin for osteoarthritis/sacral joint degeneration/piriformis syndrome/ischial tuberosity/musculoskeletal leg pain (ie: my chronic pain) and the gabapentin is helping the BMS, too. It’s like a miracle! I didn’t think I’d ever be able to get off Tramadol but it seems with gabapentin, I will and I am. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back