Guru status reached
Forum Supporter
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
DE
Results of collecting books recommended on the forums and then looking at reviews:

The one most highly recommended by many is:
Starlanyl, Devin (& Mary Ellen Copeland) “Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual (2nd Edition)” ("Fibro Bible") (has fibro himself)
The most trustworthy recent one is:
Abril, Andy & Barbara K. Bruce, Mayo Clinic Guide to Fibromyalgia 2019.

Further good ones seem to be:
Cooper, Celeste: Integrative Therapies for Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Myofascial Pain: The Mind-Body Connection 2010
Edelberg, David: Healing Fibromyalgia: Why everything hurts and how to feel well again (functional doc) 2011
Pellegrino, Mark J. (and David Schumick): Inside Fibromyalgia 2001
Pellegrino, Mark J.: The Fibromyalgia Survivor 1995
Pellegrino, Mark J.: Fibromyalgia, Up close and Personal (has it himself; 10 books to date)
A fun one written by @VPugh: Pugh, Vasily: So You've Got Fibromyalgia: An Irreverent Look at a Chronic Illness

Not sure, recent one, reviews good up to now: Lenz, Michael: Conquering Your Fibromyalgia: Real Answers and Real Solutions for Real Pain

Fibromyalgia books with a functional medicine orientation:
Dryland, David & List, Lorie: The Fibromyalgia Solution: A Breakthrough Approach to Heal Your Body and Take Back Your Life
Liptan, Ginevra: The Fibro Manual (incl. fascial release)
Liptan, Ginevra: Figuring out Fibromyalgia: Current science and the most effective treatments
Marek, Claudia Craig, (and Florence, Mari, Foreword: Armand, R. Paul).: The first year - An essential guide for the newly Diagnosed. (Fibromyalgia)
Stackelhouse, Tami (FW: Ginevra Liptan): Take Back Your Life: Find Hope And Freedom From Fibromyalgia Symptoms And Pain
Teitelbaum, Jacob: The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution: The Essential Guide to Overcoming Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia, Made Easy!

Fibromyalgia books for families & friends:
Black, Janet: Fibromyalgia for Families and Friends: what you need to know to support your loved one with fibromyalgia
Buford, Tom: Living with Fibromyalgia Patients: 79 Ways You Can Make Their Lives Better 2012

Fatigue
Howard, Alex: Decode Your Fatigue: A Clinically Proven 12-Step Plan to Increase Your Energy, Heal Your Body and Transform Your Life

Chronic Pain
Bernhard, Toni: How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers (Second Edition: 2018)
Butler, David: Explain Pain (1994.. 2017)
Doidge, Norman: The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
(neuroplasticity)
Gordon, Alan: The Way Out: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Approach to Healing Chronic Pain
Groopman, Jerome (Harvard): The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness (1994...)
Horn, Danea: Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness (For Readers of The Body Keeps the Score or Taming Chronic Pain)
Kabat-Zinn; Jon: Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness
Louw, Adriaan: Why Do I Hurt? - A Patient Book About the Neuroscience of Pain (2013), plus Workbook (2016)
Maté, Gabor: When The Body Says No: : The Cost of Hidden Stress
McHardy, Lucia: A Smaller, Richer Life: Using Illness as a Chance to Grow
Risidore, Lyn: Multiple Sclerosis: The Kinder Side (1989)
Robinson, Peggy: My Journey Through Chronic Pain (2016)
Sachs, Nicole J.: The Meaning of Truth: embrace your truth. create your life (2016)
Sarno, John E.: The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain (1999)
Tearnan, Blake H.: 10 Simple Solutions to Chronic Pain: How to Stop Pain from Controlling Your Life (2007)

Depression, Trauma, Co-Dependency...
Beatty, Melody: Co-Dependency books (JayCS's favourite: The Language of Letting Go: Daily Meditations for Codependents (Haz)
Burns, David D.: Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy (CBT)
Lawson, Jenny: Let's Pretend This Never Happened, Furiously Happy (2017), and Broken (in the best possible way) (depression) (2001)
Rooks, Stella: Arise in Me (Depression)
Van der Kolk, Bessel: The Body Keeps The Score (Trauma)

Physiotherapy
Davies, Clair: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief (A New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)

General (functional medicine) / Food / "autoimmune"
Colbert, Don: Dr. Colbert's Healthy Gut Zone: Heal Your Digestive System to Restore Your Body and Renew Your Mind
Gundry, Stephen: The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain (The Plant Paradox, 1)
Khalsa, Guru Dharma Singh: Food As Medicine: How to Use Diet, Vitamins, Juices, and Herbs for a Healthier, Happier, and Longer Life
Myers, Amy: The Autoimmune Solution: Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of Inflammatory Symptoms and Diseases (& Cookbook)
O’Bryan, Tom: The Autoimmune Fix: How to Stop the Hidden Autoimmune Damage That Keeps You Sick, Fat, and Tired Before It Turns Into Disease
Reno, Tosca: The Eat Clean Diet: : Fast Fat-Loss that lasts Forever! & The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook
Scott, Trudy: The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings (2011)

Brady, David: The Fibro fix: Get to the Root of Your Fibromyalgia and Start Reversing Your Chronic Pain and Fatigue in 21 Days (200)=
Elrod, Joe M.: Reversing Fibromyalgia: The Whole-Health Approach to Overcoming Fibromyalgia Through Nutrition, Exercise, Supplements and Other Lifestyle Factors Unlikely 2002
Goldenberg, Don: Fibromyalgia: The Final Chapter (his 3rd book, e-book)
Goldenberg, Don: Chronic Widespread Pain: Lessons Learned from Fibromyalgia and Related Disorders
Ingebretson, Susan E.: FibroWHYalgia: Why Rebuilding the Ten Root Causes of Chronic Illness Restores Chronic Wellness (2013)
Purser, Dan: Real fibromyalgia Rx. (doctors; damage to the pituitary gland??)
Seignalet, Dominique and Seignalet, Anne: How to prevent & reverse 100 diseases the new French way with Dr. Seignalet's diet miracle: Obesity - Arthritis -Migraines - Depression -MS -Crohn's - ... Fibromyalgia - Acne - Psoriasis - Lupus etc. (diet)
Selfridge, Nancy and Peterson, Franklynn: Freedom from Fibromyalgia : The 5-Week Program Proven to Conquer Pain 2001

Last edited:

A Rational Guide to Fibromyalgia​

The science of the mysterious disease of pain, exhaustion, and mental fog
Paul Ingraham • Sep 10, 2021 • 100m read (!!)
(painscience.com articles fibromyalgia php)

Despite the title, this is not a book, it's a unique format: a comprehensive web overview at our fingertips,
which is being written by a science journalist over the period of a few years (starting 2017).
He has his own interesting ideas, some of which we may differ with, but is putting many things into a clever perspective.
I sent it to someone very much in the know and he was excited about it.

A sort of fibromyalgia Christmas present I found under our (real German Christmas fir) tree for us all :) 🎁🎄👼
(As opposed to normal German tradition we're gift giving tomorrow, as my wife has to work from now till tomorrow midmorning...)

Above-mentioned "The Fibromyalgia Workbook" by Adrian Louw is spoken about by
Bob & Brad in: Top 3 Things you should try if you have Fibromyalgia (Based on Science), 2017. They cite the old tender point idea, without making clear if/that Louw knows that it is antiquated. Main FM-explanation: elevated, amplified pain (like with a volume knob), i.e. hyperalgesia, and the CSS-hypothesis: central sensitisation syndrome.
But the saying to repeat might be cool for some: "You're sore, but you're safe", "Hurt, but it does not equal harm".
I beg to differ on this: I have no hyperalgesia, I don't believe my fibro is a form of CSS, my kind of pain does not feel like nerves just over-reacting, because I have far more symptoms and they are telling me something is pretty wrong and harmed in my body. (Yeah, even tho there's no tissue damage.) I do agree with Bob & Brad tho that that's no reason to worry, get into anxiety etc. So I guess for people who can't get out of their anxiety in a different way, these sayings are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back