Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
ME
Has anyone discovered anything that truly helps the brain fog? I have seen where magnesium is supposed to. I have only been taking that not quite a month and it seems slightly better? I am only taking 250 mgs vs the 450 the dr prescribed because I didnt want any IBS affects.

I heard 5-htp helps with clear headedness, lots of leafy greens, all trial and error I guess 🤷🏽‍♀️

I know that when I wasn't sleeping well throughout the night, I had poor memory and brain fog. I was so tired I couldn't think straight. So I started taking melatonin every night to sleep. The Dr. offered me a prescription of amitriptyline but I felt the effects of it the next day so I opted for the inexpensive brand of melatonin. At first 5 mg was working but now I take 10 mg at night, it's a slower release and I find it works really well. I eat a well-balanced diet and limit the amount of sugar intake. Drinking more water will help too. This is a lifestyle thing that I have to pay attention to in order to feel better, along with herbal teas. I only have one coffee each day but I could give that up if needed. If you have access to CBD oil it can be very helpful also.

I know that when I wasn't sleeping well throughout the night, I had poor memory and brain fog. I was so tired I couldn't think straight. So I started taking melatonin every night to sleep. The Dr. offered me a prescription of amitriptyline but I felt the effects of it the next day so I opted for the inexpensive brand of melatonin. At first 5 mg was working but now I take 10 mg at night, it's a slower release and I find it works really well. I eat a well-balanced diet and limit the amount of sugar intake. Drinking more water will help too. This is a lifestyle thing that I have to pay attention to in order to feel better, along with herbal teas. I only have one coffee each day but I could give that up if needed. If you have access to CBD oil it can be very helpful also.
I really appreciate the input! I am trying to gather information and then try to find what works for me. I dont want to have to take traditional medication. And I believe that sleep is a BIG issue because I wake up alot at night most nights. I know sleep is key to feeling better overall. :)

Sleep is HUGE. If I can get 9 hours of sleep I can reliably feel pretty good the next day. 10 hours, and I feel great. Less than 8 and the less sleep I have the worse I feel. It's hard to be an adult and tell people you can't do this or that because it starts at 9 or 10 PM and you need to be in bed by then.

As for brain fog, I think I am experiencing that these days, although unless very fatigued I did not previously. Cannot, suddenly, remember the name of someone I have known for months. That kind of thing. Very annoying. And I am always trying to hide it so people won't think I am losing it.

Yeah the memory thing is a bit annoying and sometimes a tad scary!

Sleep is HUGE. If I can get 9 hours of sleep I can reliably feel pretty good the next day. 10 hours, and I feel great. Less than 8 and the less sleep I have the worse I feel. It's hard to be an adult and tell people you can't do this or that because it starts at 9 or 10 PM and you need to be in bed by then.
I totally agree about sleep and brain fog. If I sleep poorly or don’t get 8 hours of sleep, my fatigue levels skyrocket as does brain fog. I try to do everything that requires concentration in the morning or after my afternoon nap. Sleep is nature’s way of cleansing your brain and body. If you’re not sleeping well due to pain or stress, everything suffers. I pass up many things as well because I need sleep. It’s a bummer, but maintaining my schedule helps me feel my best.

For me I found that one huge culprit of brain fog was medication side-effects, which is something I think does not get enough attention. The recommended dose of one of the main drugs usually prescribed for Fibro gave me such brain fog I was lucky if I found my coffee in the morning. It was bad. So we reduced the dose and it was much improved. Make sure you are discussing this with your Doctor.
Melatonin is something I use about twice a week for insomnia and also to help keep me asleep, but I’m careful not to have much to do the next day as it can leave me a bit groggy. If I take it more than that it just seems to stop working. But that’s me and you may have better luck with it.

Has anyone discovered anything that truly helps the brain fog? I have seen where magnesium is supposed to. I have only been taking that not quite a month and it seems slightly better? I am only taking 250 mgs vs the 450 the dr prescribed because I didnt want any IBS affects.

I know I'm abit late to this conversation but I just want to say that regarding the brain fog I have found fish oil to be quite helpful. I get a really good liquid form.
I am trying to do things naturally. I am trying to avoid medication as much as possible. Hope you find this helpful.😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back