Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/1999
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi, I am new here. My fibre has been under control for 15 yr, now it is out of control.. New intense pain, different areas hit. The worse is the brain fog! If I can't clear it, I am in danger of loosing my job. Just coming off cymbultra, didn't work, weird side affects. Dr wants to try lyrica next. Any thoughts? Has anyone found anything that helps with brain fog?

Hi there! So sorry to hear your fibro is getting worse, mine seems to be getting worse as well, same with the brain fog. I really think that improving your diet can really help with brain fog, some weeks ago my brain fog was really bad (forgetting where i was going or what I wanted to get from the kitchen).

I'm rarely taking meds for pain right now, since some of them have made things way worse for me, so right now all I do is consume less sugar and less processed foods. I also take a green tea supplement, as well as a B complex one, I'll never be the person I used to be before, but I'm definitely getting better. It could be because of my new lifestyle. I think changing one's lifestyle for the better will never hurt.

Sorry to hear that. I used to struggle a lot with brain fog to and as Trellum said improving your diet can help tremendously. One book that I highly recommend that you check out to figure out more about brain fog and the foods that you can eat to control it is a book called "The Ultra Mind Solution By Mark Hyman". That book is a really great book and I can assure that after reading that book you would realize that most of your brain fog problems start from your diet.

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry you've lost control over fibro symptoms, I'm sure it's frustrating. Personally, I'm at my worst in fall and spring when the weather is constantly changing. This spring has made me feel symptoms I haven't felt in a few months. It's something for your to consider.

But Trellum is right - diet is very helpful for brain fog. What my doctor (who specializes in nutrition and has published several articles on how nutrition affects the brain) taught me is that our brains rely on glucose to function. Our digestive organs turn any food we eat into glucose eventually, but some foods break down a lot faster than others. Simple sugars and carbohydrates break down rapidly, which can fuel the brain rapidly. The problem is that they're highly acidic, and when they hit the brain they can actually break and damage nerve endings. So what's best is to eat only foods that break down slowly. Protein breaks down the slowest. I have found that eliminating all sugar, grain, and alcohol has reduced my brain fog a lot. I pretty much only eat grass fed meat, organic vegetables, and some tree nuts. However, I have major digestive problems and I'm hypoglycemic. So I have trouble fueling my brain at all, and I traded brain fog for a brain that is barely turned on. Whenever I do eat a small amount of sugar, like a piece of 85% dark chocolate, my brain turns on very quickly and I can think very clearly until it wears out. I just have to be careful, because if I ate sugar all the time I would hurt my brain (but more importantly, my organs are too weak to digest sugar.) If your digestive system is working well, mainly that you produce a normal amount of insulin and don't have IBS, you shouldn't have this issue at all. You should be able to make enough glucose from protein and complex carbohydrates found in vegetables and nuts to fuel your brain and reduce brain fog.

I've found that my brain is at its best when I take high quality cod liver oil, vitamin D-3, and a couple vitamin B complexes daily. I'm not positive, but I think magnesium helps my brain too - I know for certain it has contributed to calming my fibro pain.

I used to have brain fog everyday along with nausea, but it's a lot better now. It's definitely recover from it in my opinion, have hope!

This happens to me sometimes when I eat foods that are bad for me or if I am not drinking enough water. Try some breathing exercise to clear your head. If your interested, meditation has helped this problem a lot for me. I just meditate on clearing out the problem and within days I could notice a difference. I hope everything gets better!

The "brain fog" has caused me so many problems. The worst is the fact that I forget to check my son's blood glucose levels (He's type one diabetic.) I hate fibro and everything about it, every way it limits me, but I think I hate the "brain fog" the most (At least I hate it the most today.). One of the worst Mother's Days ever.... :(

I'm interested in Lyrica myself now, too. I saw on the TV today that it might help diabetic nerve pain. If it also helped with the pain I'd take it. I'm on Citalopram right now and I like my body has gotten used to it. It doesn't seem to have quite the same effect as it used to, even with my mood.

Other than the lack of an ability to concentrate I don't seem to suffer from brain fog. My memory seems alright and I can remember just about any location after going there once. I'm finding myself daydreaming a bit more lately, though. That I'm not liking at all.

Hi, I appreciate all the answers. I am coming off the cymbaltra
And the Dr wants me off for at least 1wk before trying anything else. Has anyone tried SAVELLA. yet? I think it maybe better for me then lyrica, less side effects.
I have increased exercise, my diet is already pretty good, tried eliminating all those foods right in the beginning of fibro, made no difference at all. I do take vitamins and have been able to control up until now, 1000 per day of each fish oil, vit d, magnesium,,,plus the usual ones I take for me. I also start yoga,,,hate it. Dr wants me to do sleep clinic, massage, acupuncture,,,,I am not sure how to fit all of this in,,,but I will try. The brain is feeling better with less cymbaltra, and I don't feel so depressed. It's bad enough getting older, but add this and it really sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back