Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2016
Country
US
State
XO
I was just reading a published paper regarding BAT (aka: brown fat) and the correlation of temperature and fibromyalgia. Interesting to read if you are interested in the science (I frequently have to look up the medical terms to get the point). This article talks about possible referred pain from the BAT with a nice little diagram:
Review of overlap between thermoregulation and pain modulation in fibromyalgia

For a while I was having constant radiating burning pain on both sides of my back (upper, middle and lower/flank area), very much like pleuritic pain, where BAT is generally thought to be located. I found a correlation between my diet and the pain/frequency/severity.

A day like today, cold and rainy, I have very slight radiating soreness in the back. But I ate a good mix of quality protein last night (extra lean ground beef) w/whole wheat pasta, no sugar tomato sauce, and squash. For me, I noticed the higher the red meat protein, the less pain I have, although I have noticed an improvement with fish (tuna, sardines).

Has anyone else had these pains and noticed a relation to their diet/temperature in their environment?

Thanks for sharing that article - it is very interesting. I've not seen this angle before. This is the first time I've seen some kind of connection between physiology and the tender points. It's only recently that researchers realized adults have active brown fat. Research is moving fast to already explore connections between brown fat and fibromyalgia.

I do have less pain when I'm warm and more pain when I am cold. Too much sugar makes my symptoms worse. I tend to eat simple whole foods because I figure they are least like toccause me problems.

Sure thing DK...I think it's kind of important to see the biological side of things to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

I had cut down on my overall meat consumption in the past decade; red meat only once a month, fish and chicken 1-2X a week, 1 egg a week.
The rest of the time, it was always bean/legume/soy based meals with a whole grain. I would get my iron from black strap molasses. So my carbs were always higher than my protein. Now with fibro, I have kind of evened it out, so I don't get those pain in those areas so often, and they are less
severe. I imagine it must have something to do with the nutrients in meat...amino acids, CoQ10, etc. So if you absolutely are against eating meat, I think it's a good idea to look into high-quality protein shakes that offer these things.

I actually make an effort to include meat and eggs. Most of my life I had difficulty eating them because the texture sometimes triggered a gag reflex. But then I switched to organic and the problem went away. Now we get a flood of eggs from our chickens starting just before Easter.

Your own chickens, lucky you...wish i was your neighbor : )

My daughter has noticed a significant reduction in pain in using Fish Oil or Krill Oil, versus not using it.

I was just reading a published paper regarding BAT (aka: brown fat) and the correlation of temperature and fibromyalgia. Interesting to read if you are interested in the science (I frequently have to look up the medical terms to get the point). This article talks about possible referred pain from the BAT with a nice little diagram:

For a while I was having constant radiating burning pain on both sides of my back (upper, middle and lower/flank area), very much like pleuritic pain, where BAT is generally thought to be located. I found a correlation between my diet and the pain/frequency/severity.

A day like today, cold and rainy, I have very slight radiating soreness in the back. But I ate a good mix of quality protein last night (extra lean ground beef) w/whole wheat pasta, no sugar tomato sauce, and squash. For me, I noticed the higher the red meat protein, the less pain I have, although I have noticed an improvement with fish (tuna, sardines).

Has anyone else had these pains and noticed a relation to their diet/temperature in their environment?

Thanks sis. This is a great read. Interesting theory, I had never really heard of brown fat. I hope someone will pu on this publishing and further research will get done.

I would love to have fresh eggs, but my Lab would love to have fresh chicken so that would never probably happen. But DK you can fed x some my way. : )

I would love to have fresh eggs, but my Lab would love to have fresh chicken so that would never probably happen.

LOL, I hear ya eyesup, my cat is the same way.

You must like your eggs scrambled, Eyesup :)

A grown chicken can fend off a cat, but not a dog. We managed to train our dogs to ignore and/or protect our chickens. One of our dogs has herding instincts (corgi/border collie mix, parents herded sheep on local farms). He likes to sit outside and watch over the flock for hours at a time.

Bwahaha. Yes DK, I like them scrambled, but I prefer to keep the chickens alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back