Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
US
State
nj
does anyone experience burning lips during a flare up? my lips burn, they even look like someone took a lip liner around them. i'm still drinking to keep myself hydrated and can't seem to put enough lip therapy on them to calm them down.

I've accidentally rubbed my eyes or my lips after applying a topical analgesic like Aspercreme or Ben Gay and nearly fainted from the burning!
Even the unscented ones will burn. Mineral Ice was the worst for me though- just the smell was too strong and would irritate my asthma. Are you using any of these types of products?
Maybe milk will help if you dab it on your lips.

I haven't heard of this being part of a flare, no. Of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, though.

Have you noticed that it's only in the winter that it's an issue? I know that my lips burn and are "redder" than normal during the winter.. it's the way they get when it's extra cold in the house... almost feels as if they try to warm up and end up burning instead.

All I can suggest is to be sure the lip products you're using don't have perfumes and dyes and stuff in them... yukky as it sounds, many of them do and may tend to irritate the soreness even worse than it already is.

ok, thanks, i actually read some other threads about the same issue and it's not so uncommon with FM. It's called burning mouth syndrome. if our skin burns and has pins and needles then why shouldn't our mouths do the same... just another wonderful symptom, grrrrreat

No, but I've experienced the horror of a burning scalp. It was nasty! I have never experienced burning lips, not that I can remember right now. I hope you don't get to experience this often, when I had a burning scalp I felt like dying. I couldn't find a way to relieve that pain... it lasted for months until it stopped on its own. I experienced some crazy shedding as well.

Another thing to always consider is a allergic reaction to a medication you are taking. Don't always assume it is just fibro. I once had a bad reaction to a medication and had burning in my face and around my eyes and around my lips. Plus all my mucus membranes got burning as well. My condition was called "Steven-Johnson symdrome." Not to say that is what your going through, but try to notice if it is worse after taking a medication. This is considered a chemical burn. Sometimes it can be from a food or personal product used.

Become your own detective and pay attention as to what seems to make it burn worse and if it is your meds tell your doctor right away. :)

@1sweed true true, I will. thanks! thankfully it has subsided and I'm feeling better now, just a little leftover pins and needles.

@trellum that's no good, but I know what you mean. I get random burning sensations anywhere and it's no fun. the lips are just something new that I'll have to get used to like the rest. I hate over medicating although neurontin seems to help so I'll take it from time to time. stress is a big trigger, I wish it was easier to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back