Burning Muscle Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else have luck with essential oils for various things?
Well, there's three aspects to essential oils. They can be absorbed via the skin, absorbed via inhalation, or used for aromatherapy - delivering scent-based stimulation to the brain via the olfactory nerve.

Examples might include putting tea tree oil on a spot; making a mint, camphor, eucalyptus, and clove rub for sore muscles (more or less a home made Tiger Balm); creating a citronella insect repellant; using mint and eucalyptus oil in the bath to clear your sinuses when you have a cold; dropping lavender oil on your pillow to help you sleep better; or using rosemary oil in a diffuser to help you study. So, it's pretty diverse!

A lot of essential oils have demonstrable antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties for topical application - unsurprising, when we consider that they are basically very concentrated plant extracts.

However, when it comes to aromatherapy, the evidence is a bit more contradictory or inconclusive. Fundamentally, as with so many things, I'd say what matters is whether you feel it works for you.

I experimented a little with aromatherapy early in my fibro journey, because I figured, why not! I made a blend of bergamot, frankincense, and myrrh for my pillow while I was stuck in bed because they are supposed to be beneficial for pain and I love each scent. I'm not sure that it helped in any direct way, but the pleasant fragrance was a welcome distraction.

If you do use essential oils, do an allergy test first, and be sure to adequately dilute them in a carrier oil. Essential oils are very concentrated, and many people don't realise that some can burn the skin or airways if used neat.

I have to ask. Why? Have you tried a good brand? Did they burn or hurt? I find them soothing and very helpful. Maybe you should really give them a try. It makes me crazy sometimes when people don't really give something like oils or diet a real chance. By a real chance I mean using proper oils and foods for at least a month. Like supplements, they take a little time to work. The diet change also takes a little time.
So please give this stuff a try. Even check out the history of essential oils as well as food. Start with future od food. You won't believe the crap you are eating!
If you just stay away from processed food you'd be better off.
(((gentle hugs)))
thanks for wanting to help. :)

However, it is a rather large assumption you are making that I have not tried something or "given it a real chance" when I say I wouldn't touch it myself.
And a much further assumption that I am not knowledgeable about herbs and dietary influences. :unsure:

If you have read my posts you know that I am completely in favor of trying whatever might help, as long as it is not dangerous, and my Advice post certainly advocates for dietary and herbal exploration, and for eating healthy food.

I certainly use herbs, supplements, and natural remedies whenever appropriate, and encourage people to try them. I have written posts about this. I also am a big proponent of exploring and utilizing dietary changes in order to help with whatever ails a person, and have written about this as well.

Believe me, I don't need to check out how food influences the body, and I would not be one bit surprised at what is in the food most people eat, as I learned about that many years ago and have been trying to help people with that on this forum and elsewhere. I know what I am eating each day and what is in it.

And of course, I am well aware that everything takes a certain amount of time and that trying something new means committing to it for long enough to find out how it is for you.
I have written this many times in my posts.
All of this is in my Advice post. I recommend you read it.

I was only talking about "essential oils" in my previous post. I have my own reasons for not using those on my body or in my home, and they are valid and numerous. "Essential oils" are not soothing or helpful for me. Yes, I "gave them a good try" years ago.
In addition, I do not want to have anything in my home or on my body that has an odor, especially a strong one. And yes, I have a good reason for that as well.
:)

I do not want to have anything in my home or on my body that has an odor, especially a strong one.
From what I've read, many people with fibro seem to have very strong sensitivity to fragrances and can't tolerate anything perfumed. You're so right, Sunkacola - we all have to remember that we each have different tolerances and boundaries, and there's nothing wrong with that. So much of managing this condition is getting to understand our own unique health presentation. It's great that you know yourself so well and have used observation to make your life better ☀️ We also all have the right to choose what we are or aren't comfortable with or wary about. That's a value worth holding high!

My muscle/nerve pain can only be described as someone taking an electrified needle and poking me with it over and over and raising the charge, kinda like an EMG but more painful

I was surprised by your negativity because it might make some people afraid to try things. I have read your posts sunkacola so I reacted. I totally understand not being able to take certain smells, alcohol especially! I guess I'm lucky that the oils smell and feel good to me. You can hide the smell in a base lotion and the infused coconut oil pretty much hides some.
I'll try pretty much anything myself.
(((gentle hugs)))

I am incredibly sensitive to smells and I have been for a long time. Well before fibromyalgia. It makes me miserable sometimes. Stink bugs make me feel sick. Most perfume. Bright side is I can smell an electric fire before anyone else.
I've made lavender oil which I love the smell, and I do think the smell makes me feel peaceful even if its for a few seconds. I crush fresh mint from my garden that smells amazing, and my fresh lavender! My favorite smell is the wild roses in the summer especially when I'm on my motorcycle.
I think skepticism gets in my way sometimes. Believing that oil on my leg can take away RLS is like Believing in fairy. I want to believe...but this is my own short coming. I believe in nature 100% and if I could go to any time,culture etc it would be native Americans. I would want to live exactly like them. I believe I could be healthy and live long and happy from their model

I ride a can am Ryker and love it, what do you ride if you don't mind me asking?

I was surprised by your negativity because it might make some people afraid to try things. I have read your posts sunkacola so I reacted. I totally understand not being able to take certain smells, alcohol especially! I guess I'm lucky that the oils smell and feel good to me. You can hide the smell in a base lotion and the infused coconut oil pretty much hides some.
I'll try pretty much anything myself.
(((gentle hugs)))
There was no negativity in my post on this subject. And nothing that would make another person "afraid to try things".

I simply said I wouldn't touch "essential" oils, and then I said they may be helpful for others. And then I mentioned they are not helpful to me.

That is not being negative. It is speaking my own truth while leaving it open for others to have different truths for themselves and there is nothing negative about that.

Each of us gets to say what works for us and what doesn't.

And what we don't even want to try, for that matter. No one here should feel put down or pressured by someone else to try or to use any one particular thing that the person has decided for reasons of their own that they do not want to do or to try.

There was nothing in my post that would make another person afraid to try oils. I did not say anything negative about the oils. I only said I wouldn't touch them. For one person to say that something doesn't suit them is not making others afraid to do it.

And by the way, it's not that the smell offends me. I cannot smell anything, as I have no sense of smell. Which is one reason (among several) that I don't want anything that has a smell in my home or on my body.

I will pretty much try anything, myself, and my advice post shows this and encourages everyone to try different things. But not everyone wants to "try anything". That's their choice.
And everyone here has the right to say what works for them and what does not. In fact, that is a big part of why we are here - to tell others our experience. And we respect each other's experiences.

Sorry you're so upset. But it sounded negative and now it's over yes? My goodness no need to fret.

Sorry you're so upset. But it sounded negative and now it's over yes? My goodness no need to fret.
Hi there - I am neither upset nor am I fretting. Just pointing out that you made assumptions, and then called me negative, and neither was accurate or appropriate. No hard feelings, of course.

I don't want to do this but you keep going on. Not touching something with a ten foot pole is a negative statement. Didn't say you were negative. I've found some of your posts helpful. I prefer to keep things light. No drama. We have enough drama with non believers and doctors.
Love and peace

I don't want to do this but you keep going on. Not touching something with a ten foot pole is a negative statement. Didn't say you were negative. I've found some of your posts helpful. I prefer to keep things light. No drama. We have enough drama with non believers and doctors.
Love and peace
Negative to you, OK, if that is your perception I accept that. But my statement was not negative inherently, and not negative to the subject matter inherently. Although your comments to me about being negative are in themselves pretty negative, as well as being critical. In this forum we strive not to be critical of each other's choices. Please remember this.
If there is drama here it is yours, since I feel no drama myself. Let's all respect each other's experience and opinions without criticizing. That is what we are here to do.

Since this thread has gone so far off topic, I am closing it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back