Burning Sore Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dms1958

Hi, Recently diagnosed with Fibro, I have in the last few weeks developed very sore skin on my left arm, Started below the elbow and is now up to my Armpit, Being new to all of this I actually thought I had Shingles coming as I had this a few years ago and thats just what it feels like! So so sore,There is nothing there ! Not red or anything, I'm seeing my Dr on the 20th of this month ( I've already been waiting a week) Anyone else suffer from this ? How can I reduce the pain ?
Many Thanks

Hi, dms1958, and welcome!
That's a tough one without a diagnosis - loads of things it might be. And likely nothing to do with fibro.
If I can't get a doc talk, I ask a pharmacist, they occasionally have a good idea or one that points me to an idea of my own.
Apparently some people get this from anxiety (see youtube), if not unlikely, that'd be one to work on without thinking of any infection etc..

Hey dms! Maybe a year or so ago, I started occasionally having a burning sensation in my hands and feet. Sensitive to the touch and no obvious trigger. I have described it as that feeling when you burn yourself on a pan while cooking and that skin is red and tender for a few days. But, it's all over my palms, fingers, and the bottoms of my feet/toes. For a long time, I thought it was part of my psoriatic arthritis and my doctor has only recently diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. Within the past few months, it's gone from a couple of times a week to skin pain for days at a time (lots of weather where I'm at lately and I have found that triggers the skin burning in addition to lots of other fun pain).

While reading up on Fibro, I came across a medical article about a nerve condition called allodynia. People describe it as a feeling of sunburn without having been sunburnt. That rings true for myself with that feeling of having been burnt. It looks like it can affect people with fibro AND having shingles can trigger it. I don't want to say too much since I'm not a doctor, but it may be worth a Goog yourself to see if that matches how you're feeling. Then you can share with your doctor once you get in there to see what they think. Happy to chat more about it, wishing you luck!

due to the position you describe it is unlikely to be from fibromyalgia - touch to the arms shoulders and back of neck and some times to the legs will cause pain in fibromyalgia - a burning sensation is not like fibromyalgia pain

While reading up on Fibro, I came across a medical article about a nerve condition called allodynia. People describe it as a feeling of sunburn without having been sunburnt. That rings true for myself with that feeling of having been burnt. It looks like it can affect people with fibro
due to the position you describe it is unlikely to be from fibromyalgia - touch to the arms shoulders and back of neck and some times to the legs will cause pain in fibromyalgia - a burning sensation is not like fibromyalgia pain
Well, I think there's good truth in both. Allodynia is feeling various kinds of stimuli as pain, can feel like sunburn, but doesn't need to, and definitely affects some people with fibro. I have "allodynia" when I feel really ill, flu type, like everyone does. I also know the sunburn feeling. But also yes, this specific locality won't be fibro - but I understood the question to refer to a possible co-morbidity, not fibro itself.

hello i suffer that all the time it gets really bad when i get a flare up i dont have any words of wisdom im sorry ive had f m s over 20 yrs and still know nothing except its lots and lots of nastyness

there is some belief in the medical world that fibromyalgia is an autoimmune disorder if that is true then it is common for a person that has one autoimmune disorder to have another different autoimmune disorder - based on this you can symptom that carry across more then one disorder so what one describes as a symptom of say your fibromyalgia may indeed be a symptom of some other disorder. ie I have nails that split on a regular basis and I have fibromyalgia but they are not caused by fibromyalgia. for example burning skin may not be a symptom of fibromyalgia but of hashimoto's to make it more complex my brain fog could be a symptom of hashimoto's and could also be a symptom of fibromyalgia

That makes sense because at the moment it is a lot better, Thankyou for replying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back