Buttock, lower back and leg pain at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad you can't send pics or can we? Anyway I'll just start by looking up the model you gave me and getting an idea of what you have been using.
Yep, we definitely can (see our "potty", "touch of humor" and "understand fibro" pic threads). Just it needs to be down- and uploaded. (Same goes for any information - upload of anything we'd've wanted to link to are always 100% OK.)
Massage pistol or massage gun is what I know it under, stopped calling it that cos it caused a bit of a stir.... 😁

Attachments

• Massagepistol.jpg
    Massagepistol.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 37
LOL. You're funny @JayCS . Thank you for the pic. It looks exactly like the ones I've seen and the reason I have never bought one is because I have no idea how I would use it on my back by myself. I have no partner, I'm unable to drive and my best friends are either dealing with their own health issues or live too far away to just pop over and give my back a massage. That's the reason for me buying the massage stick. Well actually my PT advised the stick but also the type in the photo you uploaded. I'm pretty sure I could probably use it on my own shoulders and maybe even parts of my upper back but it would be impossible for middle and lower back for a single person with fibro let me just say with fibro like mine. I couldn't do it. I will research other types see what might be available and if nothing then I will get the type you recommended. Hey if it helps at only certain spots due to unaccessibility that is certainly a small improvement right?

with fibro let me just say with fibro like mine. I couldn't do it
I'm not sure what the problem would be, esp. for the lower back and thighs.... have you got joint arthritis or similar, or very short arms?
I get to every spot I need to. I also didn't think I'd be able to, but it's easy.
There are a few spots in the middle of the back where I don't hold it, I rest it on me. But then I often do that anyway cos it's less strain on the wrist, biceps, elbow, shoulder.
As opposed to the massage stick it moves, = does the job, by itself.
Even if that didn't work I'd use it like I use rods or corners to press into, I'd put it into some kind of a vice and hold myself against it.
And as has often been the case to do one kind of treatment I needed to do another kind first, in this case if I weren't able to get my hands behind my back well I'd work on that, with everything - exercises, stretches, pressure and massager. This may well also improve the back problems, because arms and shoulders are connected of course. In fact I think we can generalize that: With our amount of symptoms we need to prioritize anyway, and whilst your back may be the most painful, it isn't the first that should be addressed if you couldn't get there. But you doing the spots you can do, you're improving things so that you can do the other spots too. Maybe there are some you wouldn't even sense/think of doing, cos they're stiff rather than painful normally, only become painful when you try to hold the massager, but then these get a higher priority.
BTW, diagonally it's more than a foot long, plus I don't have particularly long arms I think.
But maybe I haven't thought of what might be the problem...?
When my wife occasionally uses it on me, it's "nice" for us, but by far not as helpful as when I do it myself. That's why I prefer self-treatment to physio treatment.

It is probably I think not a good idea to be using a whole bunch of pillows because it's very very easy to do more harm than good using that method. But I have experimented as I said actually a few times now and I do find that elevation definitely helps.
I think I agree, but whilst experimenting it was good to have all shapes, sizes, lengths, thickness, hardness and then pick and choose the best 2-3. Now one'd be fine, but gotten "lazier" 2 means 1 for each side. Add: I use a thicker and a thinner duvet which I also place so my thighs, tailbone etc. are as comfy as possible. As Ally Boothroyd puts it at the beginning of one of her NSDR videos/audios: Just move around a bit until you are 5% more comfortable.
What exactly was it you want to elevate? (I've heard of elevation for GERD and when I have tooth pain I need lots of pillows to elevate my head.)

@JayCS the two most painful parts of my body are as I mentioned of course my entire back but also my entire right arm from shoulder all the way down to fingertips, severe nerve pain throughout the arm and joint pain in the right shoulder so with the massage gun it will be easier to do my left side middle and lower back but my right side might be a problem and that is why I said that. Now if I'm having a quote unquote good day with my right arm that would be the time to use the gun on my back. By the way I did order one and I'm waiting for it to get here should be here in a few days I believe. Can't wait to try it out all over my body at all of my pain spots.

@JayCS LOL that is exactly what I do every night I have a variety of shapes and sizes and softness and firmness of pillows on my bed as well as various blankets and throws and I just keep moving around until I get to that most comfortable spot moving around and adjusting all those things. That's what I do right now. What am I wanting to elevate? It seems from experimentation that elevating my back while sleeping relieves 80% of my morning back pain which currently lasts for 2 to 3 hours every morning. However I have read that it is recommended to raise the legs to ease pressure on the spine. Anyway since the bed I am planning to get in the near future will allow me to elevate legs or torso I can experiment until I find what works best for my unique body pain.

Now if I'm having a quote unquote good day with my right arm that would be the time to use the gun on my back.
And applying what I suggested above using your left arm to treat your right shoulder and arm foremost.... Keeping care to keep the strain on your left arm down so it stays the good side. Also of course not just that, but exercises, stretches and acupressure, with youtube to give ideas how. How are you working on your right arm?

Last edited:
elevating my back while sleeping relieves 80% of my morning back pain which currently lasts for 2 to 3 hours every morning. However I have read that it is recommended to raise the legs to ease pressure on the spine.
Sounds like you shouldn't necessarily listen too much to such a recommendation, but of course try out.
I still haven't understood how elevating your whole(?) back would be working. Would that be the same as sleeping on your side arched backwards, cos it's the legs that need to be further back than your back?

How are you working on your right arm?
not much really i can do. it's nerve pain, nerve damage, something. PT didn't help (nerve glides mainly). i do stretch it daily several times a day, use my massage stick on the shoulder/neck region. rest it by using my left arm/hand more. i also do a type of self-traction on it. nobody can give me any new ideas. meds didn't help, although my diazepam (for anxiety) helps my right arm pain as a "side effect". i don't take it for that, just a perk.

Sounds like you shouldn't necessarily listen too much to such a recommendation, but of course try out.
i'm at a loss, Jay. last night was horrible despite my use of pillows again. I'm leaving this issue and just having to cope with it/accept it as is until i move and buy the adjustable bed. I've read that raising the legs is one of the recommended sleeping positions for back pain. as I've said before, i am going to experiment. in my opinion and past lessons, experience is the best teacher. i'll start a new thread about the adjustable bed (or find an existing one) at that time. thanks, Jay, for listening, responding and sharing. Hugs!!

last night was horrible despite my use of pillows again. I'm leaving this issue and just having to cope with it/accept it as is until i move and buy the adjustable bed. I've read that raising the legs is one of the recommended sleeping positions for back pain. as I've said before, i am going to experiment. in my opinion and past lessons, experience is the best teacher.
My opinion and past lessons too. But also turning every stone over at least thrice, trying things in different ways or seeing that my body regularly changes. Also never giving up. Also never leaving an issue to wait for the one thing that someone has recommended, cos that trebles the almost certain disappointment.

But there's also a time for everything. Sometimes we need a time of "giving up", of acceptance, in which we can build up the motivation to tackle it again ('state orientation' for a limited time rather than the usually better 'action orientation' is what motivation psychologists call it).

I don't wanna flog a dead horseissue, if it is that, but on the pillow side I'd be curious if and why exactly you think that the pillows are worse, and how you used them. It also makes me wonder if they do make it worse, what the opposite would be - for my back I know that pillows worsen, because they are too soft, so I need a harder underlay, but thin soft over that. (Generally I like using negative effects as a valuable lesson to help look for the opposite.)

You've only spoken about pillows, what about duvets (I didn't even need pillows before fibro, I used my arm and my duvets) and mattresses ()? These would be independent of the enormous elephant of a new house.

And raising legs may be good for some, but that doesn't mean it's right for you (how come it doesn't help me although back pain used to be my biggest insomniac at the beginning of fibro). Couldn't you first try using pillows, special cushion (e.g. Bob & Brad videos) to save an expensive investment in something that might turn out useless or make things worse. Personally I need to twist and turn all night, and an elevated bottom of the bed would make that less flexible. Doesn't it mean having to sleep on your back? That's a position that causes excruciating pain inside of 4-5' for me. Instead I elevate a little using my bottom duvet wrapped around my legs. And if I ever had the feeling, e.g. from exercises, that elevating them would improve things, I'd put a duvet or pillow under them in various positions. As it is even my daily back exercises show me that elevating my legs is deadly.... Sometimes I have to place my hands under my buttocks to be able to do them at all, or make sure I only do them in short stints and then turn to the side. I also get cramps easily doing exercises on my back, and I think also it's the position in which I get back cramps most easily....

@JayCS I have not and do not intend to ever give up on managing my pain and improving my quality of life Jay. I'm exploring various new avenues even as I write this. Thank you for the idea about YouTube I'll check that out. Haven't done that yet. As for the pillow thing, I am in agreement with you. A firmer surface is better for me and that is why when I do get that adjustable bed I keep talking about I also intend to get a firmer mattress than I currently have. I wasn't using the pillows for cushioning I was using them for propping. Big difference. So I think I may have caused some misunderstanding. So my next mattress which God willing will be soon will be a firmer mattress with the addition of a topper that my brother recommended as he has had back pain and even back surgery. As always, thanks for being there Jay. I always appreciate you.

So I think I may have caused some misunderstanding.
*Phew* - yeah, thanks for clearing that up, 👐 you're right, I was getting a bit worried! 😟 Now I'm relieved! 😌
If you need help with finding good ones on youtube, I'd be glad to have a go.
And I'd think it'd great for me and anyone if you could share what you find helpful or don't! (As ever not the direct links, only name or number.)... (Cos there've been quite a few guests reading here.)

And I'd think it'd great for me and anyone if you could share what you find helpful or don't!
I will Jay. I haven't much free time these days as I am selling my home and then will be shopping for another but I do try to make a little time every day even if it's just 10 minutes to educate myself and review and evaluate new techniques, new to me at least.
I can't wait to get settled so I can devote more time toward my health but I think I'm doing pretty darn good and I'm proud of myself. Again, I appreciate all that you do for me personally and here in the group. 🤗

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back