Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
11/2021
Country
US
State
MN
Hi
Everyone advises to cut out caffeine. It may very well be contributing to my pain. My question is how do you function? I am falling asleep if I don’t have my morning coffee.

Not everyone advises cutting out caffeine. It may be a contributing factor or it may not; we are all different. I drink one cup of coffee every morning and have determined by experimentation that it doesn't contribute to any negative symptoms for me. If it does for you, though, then cutting it out is a good idea.

If you do cut it out you will go through a period of time when it seems as though you can't get going without it. But after some period of time, which varies for everyone, you will find that your body adjusts and you will be fine. To make this easier, I recommend that you wean yourself off coffee gradually rather than cutting it out all at once. Take a month, six months, whatever you think works best, and either make smaller and smaller cups of coffee or make the coffee weaker and weaker, whichever you think you can do. I've known people who have done this quite successfully.

And, note that if you are cutting out caffeine (as opposed to cutting out coffee specifically) you will need to cut out sodas as well if you drink them, and anything else that contains caffeine.

Thank you. That makes complete sense. I do t drink sodas because of the sugar. Coffee is my only “me” treat. I don’t drink as alcohol either. 😊😊

My question is how do you function? I am falling asleep if I don’t have my morning coffee.
It'd probably be better if I left this to those who used to be on coffee and have found a substitute....

But in case it helps anyone: One of the most powerful wakers seems to be early morning daylight, looking to the sun, studies and experts are now saying, to get cortisol up and the circadian rhythm going. And again in the afternoon at latest, cos that sun increases the body melatonin build-up to make sleep more efficient. And for me this is making a big difference.
For more I'd try opening my blackout blinds before getting up (yeah, I'm up about once every hour or 2 every night). Using an alternating or cold shower.
And of my many supps for energy and alertness my personal best bets are ginkgo, eleuthero, and glutathione (or NAC), plus magnesium types it seems to me very individual which ones are better for evenings and which for mornings.
Don't know if I'd try D-ribose in the mornings (that's if simple sugars aren't too big a problem).
The only thing close to the (bad) effect caffeine has on me is taurine (= alert and shaky-jittery), but that's a paradox reaction, cos actually taurine is used/seen in energy drinks as balancing antagonist. I also have several things that work paradoxically for me, like theanine, magnesium glycinate.

I have experimented with cutting out caffeine for a period of 4-5 months and noticed no difference whatsoever, so I continue to consume caffeine. Like @sunkacola said, we're all unique, and what works for some may not work for others. Experiment, see what happens, then decide. I do, however, limit my caffeine intake and never consume caffeine 6 hours before bedtime.

It'd probably be better if I left this to those who used to be on coffee and have found a substitute....

But in case it helps anyone: One of the most powerful wakers seems to be early morning daylight, looking to the sun, studies and experts are now saying, to get cortisol up and the circadian rhythm going. And again in the afternoon at latest, cos that sun increases the body melatonin build-up to make sleep more efficient. And for me this is making a big difference.
For more I'd try opening my blackout blinds before getting up (yeah, I'm up about once every hour or 2 every night). Using an alternating or cold shower.
And of my many supps for energy and alertness my personal best bets are ginkgo, eleuthero, and glutathione (or NAC), plus magnesium types it seems to me very individual which ones are better for evenings and which for mornings.
Don't know if I'd try D-ribose in the mornings (that's if simple sugars aren't too big a problem).
The only thing close to the (bad) effect caffeine has on me is taurine (= alert and shaky-jittery), but that's a paradox reaction, cos actually taurine is used/seen in energy drinks as balancing antagonist. I also have several things that work paradoxically for me, like theanine, magnesium glycinate.
Also, movement, like the early morning walk with my dog.

Thank you. That makes complete sense. I do t drink sodas because of the sugar. Coffee is my only “me” treat. I don’t drink as alcohol either. 😊😊
It's a special treat for me, too. And I also cut out soda completely in favor of water or sparkling fruit-infused water, no added sugar.

I've found that it's the caffeine (and the whatever else???) Is in coca cola, coffee has upped my neuropathy in the past but it's never left me with the gnarly pain coca cola has, if you love it and it's not an issue keep it (we all need treats : ) life would be sad without them. ✨🧚🏼‍♀️✨

Last edited:
If you want to ease out of caffeine: try tea 1.5 hr after waking. Tea has water soluble caffeine unlike coffee which is fat soluble form making it last longer and with greater intensity. Plus there is less acid and total caffeine in tea compared to coffee. Apparently you have the most cortisol naturally upon waking, so boosting your energy with caffeine 90 minutes later is the most effective time to take it. You could also try other stimulants substitutes like yerba mate to see if you can get the energy without the neuropathy. I used to drink it instead of coffee, it kinda makes me high feeling like gabapentin does. I haven’t tried it in years.

You could also try other stimulants substitutes like yerba mate to see if you can get the energy without the neuropathy. I used to drink it instead of coffee, it kinda makes me high feeling like gabapentin does. I haven’t tried it in years.
I got curious about yerba mate after writing that, and checked it out on NIH. It turns out there is some association with reducing nerve pain.

Here is a broad overview of Yerba Mate. You would absolutely want to check this with any drug interactions and with your doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there must be something wrong with my cortisol, ( it takes me ages to get alert in the morning) it's not always been this way (maybe it's my thyroid or fibro?) What is fat soluble @Gingery? does it mean it holds fat/makes you fat? 🙏🏻

That’s great information. I need to drink tea more often, too. I try, but it’s so easy to grab the coffee already made by hubby. :). It’s great to know that this time of day is most beneficial. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back