gain

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2020
Country
FI
My blood count was tested.

Hemoglobin was 140 and ferritin was exceptionally high at 179.

The doctor could not say the reason. I have been taking an iron supplement for a month while I have had symptoms of anemia.

What could be the reason for high ferritin?

My blood count was tested.

Hemoglobin was 140 and ferritin was exceptionally high at 179.

The doctor could not say the reason. I have been taking an iron supplement for a month while I have had symptoms of anemia.

What could be the reason for high ferritin?
@gain yoir doctor should be able to explain these things better. Your doctor should be the one to clarify your issues .
May be the supplement may be causing it
Mayo Clinic website says this .
If a ferritin test shows higher than normal levels, it could indicate that you have a condition that causes your body to store too much iron. It could also point to liver disease, rheumatoid arthritis, other inflammatory conditions or hyperthyroidism

Hi gain - You're taking the iron-supplement (325 mg of ferrous sulfate?) to increase your ferritin (= iron) levels, aren't you? ;)
Normal maximum for women is 200 for men is 500, so 179 is inside the limits, not high, exactly what you want. At what level did you start?
And you've written elsewhere that it's helping - so why not keep it at around 180 by dosing down a little bit and monitoring it once a month?
There are quite a few other reasons for high ferritin, pathological, but that wdn't apply here.

OK, ferritin is not iron, it's a protein that stores the iron, and what is seen as high depends, 160 ng/mL is another max. level I've now seen, 307 mc/l is another one, so I spose it depends on the type of test / lab and how the docs interpret it. What does the lab say? Is your doc worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back