Not open for further replies.

Badger

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2001
Country
UK
I'm tempted to ask for a lower dose of Pregabalin to see if it still gives relief of nerve pain in my forearms while improving brain fog. The pain covers the back of my forearms and hands. I take 450mg a day which calms down most of the burning pain. The forearms are still sore, I feel it just moving my fingers and they can flare with burning pain if I've been more active.

I had brain fog anyway but Pregabalin seems to make it worse. I realized this during the first lockdown when my prescription ran out and I was without Pregabalin for a couple of days. The withdrawals were rough and fortunately calmed down soon after getting more Pregabalin. However it was noticeable how I was back to forgetting words mid-sentence.

It would be miserable going back to the constant burning pain, brain fog is awful to live with too, it's like a blindspot were I used to be. Before asking a doctor I was keen to try sticking to a lifestyle change for a few weeks, although it's been difficult getting started. I'll be making some changes regardless but at the back of my mind it seems futile regarding the fog. I had it before and it happens to be worse while taking medication I need for severe pain.

I'm tempted to ask for a lower dose of Pregabalin to see if it still gives relief of nerve pain in my forearms while improving brain fog. The pain covers the back of my forearms and hands. I take 450mg a day which calms down most of the burning pain. The forearms are still sore, I feel it just moving my fingers and they can flare with burning pain if I've been more active.

I had brain fog anyway but Pregabalin seems to make it worse. I realized this during the first lockdown when my prescription ran out and I was without Pregabalin for a couple of days. The withdrawals were rough and fortunately calmed down soon after getting more Pregabalin. However it was noticeable how I was back to forgetting words mid-sentence.

It would be miserable going back to the constant burning pain, brain fog is awful to live with too, it's like a blindspot were I used to be. Before asking a doctor I was keen to try sticking to a lifestyle change for a few weeks, although it's been difficult getting started. I'll be making some changes regardless but at the back of my mind it seems futile regarding the fog. I had it before and it happens to be worse while taking medication I need for severe pain.
Hi Badger - Brain fog is a tricky one! Whenever I'm miffed by a health-related issue I do my research. And let's face it - Fibro/CFS, etc. are complicated. For me, I think taking my B-Complex 50 every day does help but I still get fog, especially if I haven't had a good nights sleep. Then the fog is really thick. Extra B12 helps me also.
Jacob Teitelbaum, MD has some good info on these problems, as does Dr. Axe & Dr. Daniel Amen who specializes in brain dysfunction. I have found many good books at my library.
I do hope others will chime in with some of their experiences too that will be helpful for you.
All the best - Sabina

Hi Badger, I also take pregabalin and lowered my dose to a very low 100mg a day (50mg x2). Which is below the recommended dose but seems to be working for me at the moment.
Like yourself, I didn't like the increased brain fog from pregabalin, which is mainly why I reduced it. I still have the fog but at about the same level as without the pregabalin. It also helps with my anxiety, and although to a lower degree, it still takes the edge off pain and helps with muscle spasms along with my little routine of self care.

I've decided I would rather be on a lower dose with less brain fog, than a higher dose that helps more with pain but where I feel washed out and unable to concentrate or remember anything, which also made me tearful!

It's not easy finding a balance between taking medication for pain and keeping the side effects they can give at bay. But I hope you find a safe balance that works for you soon Badger. ⚖️ :)

Hi Sabina, thank you for the info, I will look at the suppliments and read up on the Doctors you mentioned. I'm hoping a routine of better sleep hygiene, breathing exercises, meditation, cutting down on alcohol and junk food with make a difference. Thus far I've been swinging between it and not looking after myself through stress and depression.

I have been talking high strength magnesium for a few months but don't feel any different yet. It could get expensive with supplements but it would be nice to find something that helps. Husk fibre capsules have definitely helped my bowel.

Hi Badger, I also take pregabalin and lowered my dose to a very low 100mg a day (50mg x2). Which is below the recommended dose but seems to be working for me at the moment.
Like yourself, I didn't like the increased brain fog from pregabalin, which is mainly why I reduced it. I still have the fog but at about the same level as without the pregabalin. It also helps with my anxiety, and although to a lower degree, it still takes the edge off pain and helps with muscle spasms along with my little routine of self care.

I've decided I would rather be on a lower dose with less brain fog, than a higher dose that helps more with pain but where I feel washed out and unable to concentrate or remember anything, which also made me tearful!

It's not easy finding a balance between taking medication for pain and keeping the side effects they can give at bay. But I hope you find a safe balance that works for you soon Badger. ⚖️ :)
Thank you very much, it's really helpful to hear of someone who's been in a similar situation and gives food for thought. I may give it a few more weeks and then ask a GP at the start July. Brain fog can make us feel really foolish. One of the worse parts has been not being present with people and being too numb to emote much. It's made grieving difficult. We have quite a battle with Fibro being too foggy, tired and sore to begin with. Small steps and post-it notes come in handy.

Hi Badger, I think that healthy lifestyle changes can help with almost anything. Getting enough healthy exercise, spending time outdoors and preferably in nature on a daily basis, eating a consistently healthy diet and staying active with things you like to do are things that have been proven to help with many different kinds of brain fog including Alzheimer's and dementia, and I can say that doing those things made a big difference to me as well. I was having a big problem with brain fog until I set on a determined path to overall better health and fitness.

The healthier you are over all the better your brain can function. I have also heard that doing brain exercises will help. People say jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, and so on are beneficial. I don't like puzzles so have not tried that but maybe there's something along those lines you can do. And naturally if you think medication is contributing to it, see if you can manage your pain some other way.

Thank you sunkacola, hopefully I will feel some benefit in the coming months. I've been walking around the garden to stretch my legs and get out of the house. Exercise is difficult, chronic pain from old neck and hamstring injuries have had a big impact. Recently I've tried gentle range of motion exercises for arms and shoulders little and often to try and increase tolerance. I used to watch quiz shows and many years ago enjoyed pub quizzes. It may be a helpful routine to watch something with general knowledge each day. Funnily enough my late mother would ask me for answers to her weekly crossword puzzle although I'd often be clueless. With cancer, Parkinson's and dementia in the family I'd be very surprised if something did not happen to me, but at least after a lifetime of depression I'm open to living differently. Atb

Hope you feel better soon @Badger and that depression lifts (it’s such a horrible thing to have) 🤗🧞‍♂️🧚🏻‍♂️

I plucked up the courage last Friday to ask for a lower dose of Pregabalin. I didn't speak to a doctor but someone passed on the message and my repeat prescription has been lowered from 450mg to 300mg. I should start the new dose by tonight and am hoping for a positive result. To give myself a chance I'll be trying to stick to a lifestyle change this July. It's going to feel like a long stretch after not looking after myself well enough from not being in a good frame of mind. I will pace myself as the nerve pain can flare up from activity or even hot weather. Atb

Hope you get the results your after badger and glad things are on the up turn for you ⭐🍀 👍🏻

@Badger , GOOD FOR YOU. Stick with the changes to a healthier lifestyle, and you might be amazed at how much it can help. Any time you need support, just let us know and we will be here.

Hope the changes work for you badger and you see improvement in your frame of mind.
Let us know how you get on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back