Not open for further replies.

David Hammond

New member
Jan 15, 2014
Ingegerd Rosborg and her colleagues from the University Hospital in Goteburg, Sweden compared the levels of trace elements in the blood and urine of 38 females with fibromyalgia with 41 female controls to determine whether these elements have any role in the causation of the disease. They analyzed the levels of a total of 30 elements
including cadmium, copper, zinc, selenium, mercury, cobalt, lead, calcium and magnesium.

Below are the median concentrations and ranges of mercury (Hg) that they measured in the blood and urine of patients with fibromyalgia (FM) and controls (C). The range is the variation between the lowest and the highest readings of the people in the group.

........................... FM patients.........................................Controls
.....................Median........Range..................... Median............ Range
Blood Hg..........0.5............<DL-18.2.................0.5.................<DL-4.4
Urine Hg.......... 0.46...........<DL-5.8 ................1.3 ................. <DL-20.7

The authors concluded that because both the patients with fibromyalgia and the controls had, on average, the same concentration of mercury in their blood, mercury was not involved in the causation of FM. However, even though both groups had the same blood levels, the FM group only had about one-third the level of mercury in the urine. This means the FM patients must be excreting less of the mercury from their bodies, which in turn means it must be accumulating in their bodies. This decreased urinary excretion of mercury is very common in mercury poisoned individuals.

What can be done about this body burden of mercury?

Nikolas Hedberg, a chiropractor in Asheville, North Carolina, reported on one such case. He treated a woman who had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia 35 years before she consulted him. She had originally been diagnosed by a rheumatologist and was told by many doctors over the intervening years that there was no treatment available for her condition.

He tested her urine after she had taken a chelator and found that she had elevated levels of mercury and lead.

Dr Hedberg prescribed a course of chelation, and after 12 weeks, the muscle pain that she had had for 35 years was completely resolved and she was able to sleep through the night. She no longer had “brain fog” and her blurry vision was much better. The metallic taste in her mouth had gone and she no longer had problems with her digestion. She had also lost 15 pound over the treatment period and said “this is the best I’ve felt in ten years”.

Mercury is known to cause mitochondrial function, and also affects the brain, thyroid and adrenals. A number of members of the yahoo frequent dose chelation group have cured their FM with chelation therapy.

David Hammond
Author of Mercury Poisoning: The Undiagnosed Epidemic.

Ingegerd Rosborg, E Hyllen, J Lidbeck, B Nihlgard, L Gerhardsson Trace element pattern in patients with fibromyalgia. Science of the total environment. 385 (2007) 20-27.

Nikolas R Hedberg Case study: a comprehensive approach to pseudo fibromyalgia. The original internist March, 2009.
Uhm, some food for the thought. I have a lot analgams, and I can't help to wonder if those amalgams have something to do with the fact I now suffer from brain fog and fibro. Interesting find, I heard the amalgams could be blamed for so many things, but most dentists like to deny it until the end. I asked my dentist a while ago if those amalgams could cause liver damage and that sort of thing, but she said no.
Unfortunately dentists don't study toxicology. Brain fog is a classic mercury poisoning symptom.

The World Health Organization report stated that a person with a person with amalgams
had an intake of mercury of between 4 - 21 micrograms per day.

The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that you do not exceed an intake of 0.1 micrograms per kg/day. That's 7 micrograms for a 70 kg person. This means that many people with amalgams will exceed the EPA's limit. If you eat 100 g of albacore tuna, that adds another 35 micrograms. Some high fructose corn syrup has been shown to be contaminated with mercury.

Many people exceed the recommended limit, but there are no government warnings and I believe many people are suffering needlessly.
As it is my dentists over the years removed the old fillings I had and replaced them with a newer safe compound. I was told that it was being recommanded that dentists do that. Also when I lived in Florida, we were warned not to eat a lot of the fresh water fish do to them having high levels of mercury.

I think this is really good advice that David H., has shared and thought should be given to the amounts of toxic metals in our environment and in the foods we eat.

Thanks for sharing this info. :)
Dang! I'd like to do the exact same thing, my brain fog seems to be getting worse, but some of my cavities are way too deep. This thread really got me thinking. I also heard about fish having a lot mercury, do you think most fish we eat do or only the fresh water fish?
Dang! I'd like to do the exact same thing, my brain fog seems to be getting worse, but some of my cavities are way too deep. This thread really got me thinking. I also heard about fish having a lot mercury, do you think most fish we eat do or only the fresh water fish?

Smaller, short lived fish such as sardines and salmon have low levels of mercury and are generally safe. 100 grams of albacore tuna will expose you to 5 times the EPA's daily limit for mercury, 100 grams of barracuda to 14 times (for a 70 kg person). 100 grams of salmon would only be about one-quarter of the daily allowance. Many lakes and rivers in the US are polluted with mercury, so the level in freshwater fish will depend on where it comes from.

For a list of mercury levels in fish see the FDA website Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish (1990-2010)

Perhaps you should consult a dentist about whether your amalgams could be replaced. It is important to use a dentist who employs the correct protocol so that you are not exposed to high levels of mercury during removal as this could worsen your symptoms.

Many people notice an improvement in their symptoms a couple of weeks after amalgam removal. Others do not notice any change until they begin to chelate the mercury out of their body, as the mercury is retained within the brain, kidney, liver, thyroid and other organs.
Interesting news. I just can't believe, amalgam can cause so much damage. But, then why these dentist always tend to deny it. I'm wearing dental braces for so many years, is that can cause something serious for my liver or brain.
Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive element - more toxic than lead or arsenic. A Finnish study found that 20% of a group of people with dental amalgams exceeded the legal limit for sewage set by the Council of European Communities. Mercury poisoning can cause the following symptoms:

• mood swings
• memory loss
• mental disturbances
• irritability
• brain fog
• inability to concentrate
• insomnia
• depression
• ahedonia (inability to experience pleasure)
• tremor
• balance/coordination problems
• shocks and pains in the brain
• oral galvanism
• shyness
• reduced intellect
• ringing in the ears
• chronic headaches
• altered sensation in limbs
• pins and needles
• numbness
• low muscle tone/muscle weakness
• anxiety and panic attacks
• twitching

• heart palpitations
• An irregular heart beat
• Angina or chest pain
• Either an abnormally slow or rapid heart rate
• Low or high blood pressure
• Frequently feeling faint
• Elevated blood cholesterol and homocysteine levels

• metallic taste
• bleeding gums
• tender teeth
• mouth ulcers
• loose teeth
• alveolar bone loss (the bone containing tooth sockets)

• excessive itching
• acne
• peeling
• extreme dryness
• rashes

• chronic constipation or diarrhea
• intestinal cramps
• food allergies, leaky gut

• cold hands and feet
• allergies
• chronic fatigue
• fibromyalgia
• low body temperature
• leg cramps
• joint pain
• “floaters” in the eye
• extreme thirst
• frequent urination

Not open for further replies.