Car travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

radnbob

When I travel as a passenger in our camry I can only be comfortable with my feet up on the dash. My husband says its too dangerous because of the air bag. Any suggestions for travel?

While not diagnosed with fibro, I, too, have difficulty in a vehicle for long rides and even driving. I either bring a regular pillow or a sleeper pillow that goes around your neck. I sometimes put my feet on the dash as well, but I know it is dangerous. Maybe moving the seat as far back as possible and stacking some pillows or a stool under the dash? Or if it's a long car ride and it's just you two, sit in the back with your legs across the seats. Bring a pillow to lean somewhat against the door.

I have found two things help me the most on road trips.
1. Being the driver some of the time. I am actually always the driver because I don't have a partner, but if travelling with someone else I split the driving 50-50. Just changing how I am sitting and what I am doing helps. So, drive part of the time, even if only an hour at a time a couple times during the trip. The concentration required will help you to ignore discomfort to some extent and also you will be in a very different position in the car.

2. Stop every two hours to get out and stretch and walk around. I do this as if it were a religion. I never fail to do it no matter where I am. Every single two hours. It only takes between 5 and 10 minutes of moving, stretching, and walking around to make all the difference. Usually I can manage with only 5 minutes if I don't have all the time in the world to get where I am going.

I can only be comfortable with my feet up on the dash
I can't quite grasp how that can be possible - I spose seat back as far and as reclined as possible and you're small? Or I spose a Camry is big car? Praps that's why you're naming it? (We don't seem to have them here, not even my wife knows the name, and she knows a fair bit about cars.) Ours is small and I'm seldom in any other ones (seldom in any car), so find it hard to imagine. But: I spend most of the time with seat fully back and reclined, even if bumps hurt double that way. When having to be in a car last week I wrote down about 15 things that were bad for me, and my wife was trying to reduce everything...
Aside of (twist-)stretching in the seat, left to right, which I also do all the time, my only idea is if you can put something in the foot room to put your feet on...?

Last edited:
I get it completely. But feet on the dash a very bad idea. I recall reading an article about a woman who did just that and the injuries were severe. Only thing that works for me is hoping in the back to extend my legs. Of course this does not work as a driver as I can only take about 20-30 minutes before the pain kicks in.

I'm lucky, we have a mini van and can make a bed in the back if need be. Gel pillows help with my hips. There are alot of foam pillows in different shapes that sometimes help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back