Cervical Instability and FMS, an interesting correlation?

What are the things that really helped with your cervical issues ?
have you tried any physical therapy yet? sometimes that can help... things like stretches, exercises, maybe some ultrasound or even traction...
A lot of it boils down to the specific reason you have a pinched nerve... even something as simple as overly tight muscles can impinge on the nerves and cause pain.
I fully agree with this. However/and osteopaths and acupressurist focused on my neck for ages, only when I did my own exercises without going to them could I get it down. Then I went to the acupressurist again for cryotherapy and that and another pain she hadn't got under control went up again, so then I knew why she wasn't making progress! I ought to write her that, I spose, but I'd long said that nothing of hers was helping anymore, and the first jab made me so oversensitive I couldn't stand lying there or getting treated that long any more.

I fully agree with this. However/and osteopaths and acupressurist focused on my neck for ages, only when I did my own exercises without going to them could I get it down. Then I went to the acupressurist again for cryotherapy and that and another pain she hadn't got under control went up again, so then I knew why she wasn't making progress! I ought to write her that, I spose, but I'd long said that nothing of hers was helping anymore, and the first jab made me so oversensitive I couldn't stand lying there or getting treated that long any more.
and you are kind of an outlier, too... very few are as sensitive as you are to so many different things.
When i first joined here, i used to wonder how you even kept going - but I soon reminded myself that we all do what we need to do to get thru each day, regardless of how difficult it might seem to others. I now think of you more as an inspiration. :) (hope that does not make you uncomfortable)

and you are kind of an outlier, too... very few are as sensitive as you are to so many different things.
When i first joined here, i used to wonder how you even kept going - but I soon reminded myself that we all do what we need to do to get thru each day, regardless of how difficult it might seem to others. I now think of you more as an inspiration. :) (hope that does not make you uncomfortable)
Had to look up outlier, thanks again for a new good word... one I can often use. ;-) Yep, definitely.
Ocasionally, it seems, it can rarely mean a social misfit. There I would think "eccentric" fits better, altho it sounds like a fogey tweeded old man, I'm actually more of the opposite, raving with the kids and youths, something like a freak some people might say, but again some of the subtones don't fit.
I am very "accepted" and more in all social contexts, but yeah, eccentric, odd one out, always good / "bad" for surprises. It probably helps if you like that sort of thing, but I can tone it down if necessary - I do tone it down a bit on the forums I guess, I do try to meet people on their own ground, cos I'm flexible and "many".
I long wondered about my 100s of the oversensitivities my inner and outer skins, and finding out about MCAS has seemed to "solve" that, a mast cell overreaction. (I'm usually not sensitive to light, sound, weather, pain, etc., and am physically and mentally a tolerant person, "excepting intolerance", so not "sensitive" to absolutely "everything".)
You're not the only one who wonders how I even keep going, I don't know anyone who doesn't, including myself. 👐
Once I half decided half fell to carry on living and get out of the emotional c*ap I was in as a kid it gained momentum all along, being rewarded bit by bit, sometimes it felt like coming from the frying pan into the fire, but it was actually very slow progress all the time.
But I still think behind that I was probably always blessed with some kind of inner drive, motor.
What would/does make me uncomfy is if someone feels under pressure to keep up with what I do.
(Luckily people only see "their" bits of all I actually do...)
A befriended colleague once told me that, and I know (talked thru in therapy too) that shouldn't be my problem, and it isn't, but yeah, it still makes me sad.
If the way I do things gives anyone ideas how you can do it in your own life, or just to keep hope up, or whatever, then I'm very fine with that. But please remember this drive that keeps me going is primarily not my choice or my own achievement, it's only that I choose to put it to the best use I can. I think it's great to see "good" achievements, and I love using the energy given to clamber on the shoulders of those giants.

Last edited:
so far, not much of anything really helps mine.. I have severe, to very severe arthritis in a couple of places, not much that is going to help that.

I had a consult a couple of weeks ago with a spine surgeon... and I am looking at having fusion surgery... where they go in, clean up the arthritic bony changes, and fuse the vertebra together... thankfully, my biggest problem area is down pretty low (C6-7) so it wont make a lot of difference in how i move (over how things are now)

Curious - have you tried any physical therapy yet? sometimes that can help... things like stretches, exercises, maybe some ultrasound or even traction...
A lot of it boils down to the specific reason you have a pinched nerve... even something as simple as overly tight muscles can impinge on the nerves and cause pain.
Physical therapy is not doing much for me: I had the same issue flared up 2 years back and epidural seems to have helped some with tingling in hands but not with arm, shoulder and upper back pain.

I had MRI last week and compared to 2 years ago
@cookiebaker
my cervical issues seem to have become worse .

My issue is at c5/c6 and c6/c7 my c5/c6 is worse with moderate central canal stenosis and severe bilateral foraminal stenosis. At C6/C7 it is just moderate .

EMG is schedule for next Friday and then my pain doctor might do a epidural one more time .

If it doesn’t help with symptoms the options
1) look into surgery
2) deal with pain and try to prolong it

I read some research that ACDF surgery in people with fibromyalgia is a risk for post surgery complications ( which is understandable I guess from where we come from )

@cookiebaker
Forgot to say traction seeemed to help a bit atleast for an hour or two while PT performed it
May be a traction machine at home would help but it is quite costly the Saunders traction machine

@cookiebaker
Forgot to say traction seeemed to help a bit atleast for an hour or two while PT performed it
May be a traction machine at home would help but it is quite costly the Saunders traction machine
you dont have to buy one of those, if you can tolerate sitting up while doing the traction thing.
I bought an "over the door" type unit online, and while not perfect, it does work.. just a bit fiddly... but a WHOLE lot cheaper - $20-30 USD
Most of the over the door units come with a plastic bag that they tell you to fill with water or sand to the desired weight... um, no... I dont trust the bag, so I use a canvas tote-bag with mine, and use my dumbbell set for the weight

inspiration. :) (hope that does not make you uncomfortable)
Perhaps what I live & write shows "everything"(??) that is theoretically possible to do.
Because of my inner drive and beliefs I enjoy finding out and sharing things for, with and from others too.

Back