Change of medication, coming off Gabapentin

I’m so glad you mentioned Yin Yoga as that was recommended to me also. What type of yoga have you been doing?
You seem very active which is great considering. I do dog walking and exercises with the Pain Management Clinic but that’s just a 6wk stint.
Thank you for replying I really appreciate it

Thank you for your reply it was really insightful and you have a positive outlook about it. I’m still in the acceptance stage but I do meditation every night and I’m surprised how helps the pain slightly and calms my mind.
I’m learning to not keep looking back at all I could do as that just makes me low which affects the pain instead I tell myself that I need to use my energy mentally thinking of what I can still do. I try to count my blessings that I can still walk and function albeit heaps slower.
Ive started taking glucosamine and will add more supplements gradually Vitamin D being the next one. I eat very healthily and nutritiously but I always have.
Anyway I appreciate your outlook it’s an inspiration.

Wow what a stupid thing to be told.don’t you just love people like that
I’ve lost 3 stone and I’m walking without my walking frame now. I’m eating healthier and exercising when I can. I’m just fed up of being told that I have to come off one med to go on another and then told I’ve gotta come off that too. I also went to a pain clinic and was told, in a roundabout way, that this is all in my head, you can’t hurt or be in pain if u haven’t injured urself
I thought we'd moved on from the 'It's All In your Head' fallacy way back.
Admittedly, research into Fibromyalgia has been painfully (no pun intended )slow, largely due to it not having the 'glamour' of the likes of Cancer or Heart disease etc so doesn't get the same level of attention or attract the funding & I've yet to see a fund raising marathon etc, yet millions suffer this debilitating & potentially life-destroying affliction.

However, what little research that has been done now confirms this is a physical disease & only 'in the head' in terms of brain scans clearly showing massive damage & disruption to pain neuron networks, like there's been an explosion in the brain
- hence each individual gets pain in different parts of the body & pain can move & appear elsewhere & of the long list of confirmed symptoms,
insomnia, Fibrofog & physical & mental exhaustion are the worst for me but each one of us is different.

American research, likewise has also revealed Stent inflammation.

Though there is still officially no cause identified & as yet, no cure, the latest school of thought points to life-trauma which as well as causing the brain 'expolsion', it also causes immune system damage & breakdown, which then opens up the body to infections etc.

That's how I, just as a lay person, understand it but there are others on here who I am sure can add to this.

PS: I take whatever gets me through the day & especially the night, as without sleep my pain, Fibrofog & other symptoms are much worse
& my ability to function is even more impaired.
I swear by Ecinachea to boost my immune system.

As a final observation, when I smoked Cannabis I had no pain, no Fibro symptoms & slept like a baby & immediately I stopped I started with the symptoms that led to my Fibro diagnosis & the doctor said I could have had it for years & not even know it.
So Cannabis is something that definitely helps, I just wish it could be bought legally (I live in the UK) without being adulterated & therefore, it's efficacy diminished.

Last edited:
The "yoga" exercises I do are mainly for the lower and upper back, from a DVD/book a mate gave me just called BackYoga.
I've always doubted they have much to do with "real" yoga - like probably all non-Eastern yoga - and I've had another look:
They themselves call it a combination of yoga with normal back exercises, back therapy, Feldenkrais & Qigong,
plus a bit of 'philosophy', mental training, mudras (gestures), pranayamas (breathing) and mantras (affirmations).
To be honest I think I'm just doing them as good back exercises, with a bit of breathing here and there.
Doing relaxation and meditation there wd make them (boring and) painful for me, as too slow or long.
Not that I don't do this - I do a bit of autogenic training & self-hypnosis, esp. to get to sleep after sleep breaks, or just relaxing all my muscles, esp. jaw/face, as much as I can, all day, whatever I am doing, even playing table tennis or cycling etc. But separately, or at least without prolonging any exercise... :):sneaky: It's more important for me to do anything re. all I do than do some Asian style perfectly, even tho it doesn't fit to me. I know, I'm so totally boorish that way... :cool:

Yoga - various sorts, Tai Chi, Qigong, stretching - whatever you do take care to pace yourself. Almost everything I do has to be under 20'' a stint. Yin yoga ripped me apart, after one of pain docs had passionately recommended it, cos they want you to do things for minutes, not seconds. I keep to my back exercises, then do back (i.e. active) yoga in short stints, whilst the slow movements of everything else is bad for me. When I am in pain or just generally twist-stretching each limb or everything together ("Charlie Chaplin position" bending outwards, then inwards) helps me a lot. With the help of GABA I can now do the 7 minute scientific workout again every day. The workout's the shortcut to the gym.... I'd be able to go to the gym now I think, but I do about 1h of self treatments plus 1h+ table tennis every day and 2x2h/week of acupressure, and working plus needing rest a bit etc., and analyzing symptoms & the GABA-effects etc., writing my blog & stuff means it's a bit of a time problem at the moment... :rolleyes:
how many mg of GABA you take and how many times per day?

how many mg of GABA you take and how many times per day?
Shortest answer: 1x 750mg capsule before sleep was brilliant ...

Bit more:
After going down (see below), at the moment I'm taking 700mg in capsule directly before sleep, plus a speck (10mg) under the tongue, +300mg at or after 11pm + a speck, another 100mg at 2am, slowly increasing to see if it can improve sleep again. Taking it later than that at night makes me too tired the next day. The positive effects (esp. stiffness & energy) last till the evening of the next day.

The longer answer:
I started with 1x750mg capsule before bedtime, which was brilliant, 10 improved symptoms. There were a few side effects like weird dreams in the first 10 days, and stopped, but also increased focal seizures, which may have been due to that or the glutamic acid I'd added, but made me go down: Trudy Scott's blog recommended starting lower with 125mg subliminally and my sleep psychiatrist suggested I could try taking it lower and then adding as needed, praps several times in the night. However without the capsules my stomach didn't tolerate the acid and the great effects of 750mg went down after a few days. So after having been opening the capsules, I got powder and empty capsules to spread the acid between stomach & gut, also increased herbs & supps for the stomach. As soon as I went up again with the dose, the positive effects were there again, and no focal seizures yet, just I haven't been able to recreate the better sleep yet.

Endlessly long: You can find the daily trials & sometimes tribulations but usually successes of this on my blog (JayCS's fibro blog).

Shortest answer: 1x 750mg capsule before sleep was brilliant ...

Bit more:
After going down (see below), at the moment I'm taking 700mg in capsule directly before sleep, plus a speck (10mg) under the tongue, +300mg at or after 11pm + a speck, another 100mg at 2am, slowly increasing to see if it can improve sleep again. Taking it later than that at night makes me too tired the next day. The positive effects (esp. stiffness & energy) last till the evening of the next day.

The longer answer:
I started with 1x750mg capsule before bedtime, which was brilliant, 10 improved symptoms. There were a few side effects like weird dreams in the first 10 days, and stopped, but also increased focal seizures, which may have been due to that or the glutamic acid I'd added, but made me go down: Trudy Scott's blog recommended starting lower with 125mg subliminally and my sleep psychiatrist suggested I could try taking it lower and then adding as needed, praps several times in the night. However without the capsules my stomach didn't tolerate the acid and the great effects of 750mg went down after a few days. So after having been opening the capsules, I got powder and empty capsules to spread the acid between stomach & gut, also increased herbs & supps for the stomach. As soon as I went up again with the dose, the positive effects were there again, and no focal seizures yet, just I haven't been able to recreate the better sleep yet.

Endlessly long: You can find the daily trials & sometimes tribulations but usually successes of this on my blog (JayCS's fibro blog).
very interesting when you talk about not tollerating the acids. i used to get GABA for 9 months. my doc went slowly from 100mgs to 300mgs and did not do much of anything. so i decided to stop 1.5 months ago. i think that from then my stomach became more sensitive to acids and it gives me often the pukeing sensation. do you think it s because i stopped?
700/750mgs sounds to me a lot but i wonder if it would make me feel better if i try it...

very interesting when you talk about not tollerating the acids. i used to get GABA for 9 months. my doc went slowly from 100mgs to 300mgs and did not do much of anything. so i decided to stop 1.5 months ago. i think that from then my stomach became more sensitive to acids and it gives me often the pukeing sensation. do you think it s because i stopped?
700/750mgs sounds to me a lot but i wonder if it would make me feel better if i try it...
Lemme think...: A "puking sensation", nausea, can come from acid reflux/GERD. Not only from hyperacidity, also from hypoacidity (praps your stomach got used to the acid over the 9 months, reduced and became hypoacidic after you left it, then your stomach overcompensates with too much). If you search for <nausea stop gaba> you will find: "A sudden stop in taking GABA may cause withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, nausea, diarrhea, insomnia, and seizures." 9 months habituation could explain the 1.5+ months nausea.
Looking for <Natural Relief for Acid Reflux Due to Hypoacidity> can help you find ideas. In short: chew more, drink more, but not with meals, decrease raw food, incl. fruit, dairy, meat, sugar, gluten; try apple cider vinegar before or to meals, 15' walk after eating, probiotics. (Trudy Scott recommends going down on gluten/sugar/caffeine anyway.)

Trudy Scott recommends starting with 100-200mg and building up to 1000mg inside of a few weeks according to the improvement of the symptoms. GABA is not something you need to get used to, you will know pretty quick. If you need it, the symptoms will getter the more you take, until you pass the right point, then the symptoms will start getting worse again. That's the way my colleague did it recently, 125mg wasn't enough, she increased and realized more than 300mg is too much, so that's her optimum.
I haven't reached my optimum yet, due to not tolerating it sublingually, so now I've started with capsules and additional supps to keep the acid down, I can increase again, I'm at 1000mg (650+350+x) without acid problems, so I can increase further.
As it is influencing your acid balance I'd try the 'natural relief' recommended above to get it balanced first, then start again with the 300mg or more you left off (that way you will quickly feel the GI-side effects if they are there and can see if your body gets used to it or do something about it).
Maximum is about 2000mg, 2g, so 750mg is not really a lot: Most products I see have that, that's why I bought it, so it seems normal.

However now knowing about the whole group of amino acids, I'd look at Trudy Scott's <Amino Acids Mood Questionnaire> first, to get a feeling if it really is a low GABA problem, seeing as it didn't work at all. It might for instance be low serotonin, instead or aswell, which'd mean using tryptophan or 5-HTP (additionally), or tyrosine for low catecholamines (dopamine) etc.
One reason why I was pretty sure GABA might help - without knowing of all this - was reading that it reduces muscle tone and excitability, which fits very much. The colleague mentioned above said the same, whilst my acupressurist did not, she just thought as we have similar problems maybe it'd help her. After me giving her the book to read (German translation), she realized it's tyrosine she probably needs, be interesting to hear next week what experiences she's making...

As we increase in the evenings in the case of needing better sleep, we can also try taking some in the mornings. Haven't tried that yet as I had the feeling it'd make me drowsier in the daytime, I think cos I feel taking it later in the night does that too, may be a wrong impression tho....

Nikinoodles, what is the update? I can't imagine what I would do without Lyrica so I hope you have found something.

Back