Nikinoodles

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi
So, I’ve been diagnosed for a number of years and have been taking a number of different meds. My GP stopped my Tramadol and started me on Gabapentin. Which I have taken for months and months. I then received a telephone call yesterday from my GP advising me that they don’t recommend this drug any more for FM due to adverse health risks. I am also taking amitriptyline as a muscle relaxant at night to help me sleep. GP says a possible antidepressant could work instead of Gabapentin but could react with the amitriptyline.
what views do you have or what meds do you take that work please? I’m slowly coming off the Gabapentin but anxious of the pain

Hi Nikinoodles, and welcome to the forum.
I have never heard of amitriptyline being used as a muscle relaxant, since it is classified as an antidepressant. It can certainly help a person sleep, but probably not because it relaxes muscles.

Since you are already taking a tricyclic antidepressant, taking another antidepressant doesn't sound like a great idea to me, but of course I am not a doctor.

You don't say how what you are currently taking is working for you. If it is working, then talk to your doctor about a different medication to replace the gabapentin. There are several that various people have found helpful. I cannot recommend one because none worked well for me except opiates which I stopped taking and of course no one recommends those.

You might check out my advice post at the top of this forum. I personally recommend trying different non-medication avenues to managing fibro rather than relying on drugs to manage the pain. I also know, however, that if you are a person prone to anxiety and/or depression, that is something which needs to be addressed and in these cases often the use of the right anti-depressant or anxiety medication can relieve some of the pain, because it tends to be exacerbated by anxiety and the negative thoughts that come with depression.

Best of luck to you and remember that we are all here to help.

Hiya
Thanks for your response.
my GP did say that he wasn’t sure if another antidepressant would clash with what I’m taking already. I just don’t want to come off the Gaba with nothing else to take. I will check out your post and also do a bit more research.
thank you x

I’m on gabapentin,my dr has always told me it’s quite a safe drug ?

My GP told me that in the last few months any new patient diagnosed will not be put on it. He then told me it was up to me if I wanted to continue it. Who wants to continue with a drug that could damage ur health?

So what’s it meant to do to you then.

He just mentioned that in the long term it can damage liver and other organs

Ah I see.well I’ve been on 600 mg for 12 years .my bloods are fine.I also drink plenty of fluid

It’s just annoying having to change meds, I had to come off tramadol before I could start the Gabapentin and now I’ve gotta come off that before the new ones

I’m on gabapentin,my dr has always told me it’s quite a safe drug ?
If you Google it you will find a lot of information on this drug. There are side effects that can be significant for some people and also info indicating it should not be taken alongside any opiate or anti-depression medication.

It’s just annoying having to change meds, I had to come off tramadol before I could start the Gabapentin and now I’ve gotta come off that before the new ones
I know that merry-go-round myself. And that is why I always want to advocate for trying all of the many non-drug things that could help rather than being on any of those medications. Making your entire lifestyle as healthy as possible will at least make it possible for many people to take significantly less pain medication and less often.

Gábapentin is very safe and is a tier 1 medication for fibromyalgia.
I would assure him you are taking it appropriately and helping
Fibromyalgia is like a game of baseball where most interventions are singles and occasionally doubles. These work in combination with a diet that is mostly Whole Foods plant based, consistent regular activity that is higher than those unaffected by fibromyalgia, good sleep, stress management and appropriate medications

You no I hurt when I was skinny and I hurt now I am bigger, my daughter is 19 a size 8 and is a vegetarian.she can hardly move .so I don’t believe fibromyalgia cares how healthy you are. And yes I get the point of being healthy.So I guess I’m saying if u need drugs to have a life then u need them.each to there own xx

I’ve lost 3 stone and I’m walking without my walking frame now. I’m eating healthier and exercising when I can. I’m just fed up of being told that I have to come off one med to go on another and then told I’ve gotta come off that too. I also went to a pain clinic and was told, in a roundabout way, that this is all in my head, you can’t hurt or be in pain if u haven’t injured urself

Wow what a stupid thing to be told.don’t you just love people like that

Back