Change of medication, coming off Gabapentin

Can I just say the next time someone says that to you.ask them if they have ever had a headache.Then point out that as you can’t see a headache or indeed find a headache even with a scan ,that they can’t have one .

Needless to say I stopped going. I also don’t want to go to group meetings to discuss my pain, I just want the pain to go

Gabapentin is not very safe for everyone. For some people it's the wrong medication altogether. I took it for a while and it did nothing for me. Others take it and have very bad reactions to it.

If you do your best to live a healthy lifestyle mentally and physically it will help you to be stronger and healthier in general. But what Forgetmenot said is also true: if you need medication to have a life then you need it. I always encourage people to try other things because you never know - you might be able to go off the meds. But I follow my own advice on living in a healthy way and I still need medication for pain. Not every day, which is a great improvement, and a lot less of it than I took before, and a milder form of medication as well, but I cannot say I am entirely free of any need for medication.

As for diet, I know some people like to say a plant-based diet is better. But just like everything else, that depends entirely on the individual. My body doesn't do well at all on a plant-based diet. I know because I was a vegetarian for 6 years, carefully complementing proteins and making sure I got enough of everything, and once I started eating meat regularly again my body responded with greatly increased strength and stamina, and I was a great deal more healthy. I felt better almost immediately, and have never looked back. So eating an animal protein based diet is right for me.

I think it's unfortunate when someone says that one thing, like eating meat or not eating meat, or not eating gluten, is better for everyone. It isn't. That's why it is so important to do your own experimenting to find out what is right for you.

I’m on gabapentin,my dr has always told me it’s quite a safe drug ?
I reacted badly to gabepentin, but that was me. I can't get rid of pain, and several doctors would give me anti depressants, which is not my problem, other than "anyone would get depressed with chronic pain every single day for over a year now." That was my quote. I really don't think doctors know what to do with us, truthfully. I got injection in my hip, back and knees. None helped. However, I told them I did not need injection in my back or hip. So I have been researching myself. This pain is horrible and I function at nothing. Maybe if men suffered with this as much as women, the pharmaceuticals would do something. I am being sassy now, but I worked as a pharmacy tech and in a hospital, so I am not uneducated in everything.

Does anyone think a chiropractor would help with the muscle and nerve pain?

Dusty: Yes, heard that often, with me it's similarly osteopathy, then TCM/acupressure. Most importantly people who are careful with their opinions and their therapy, listening to you and your body, gentle, best if they have fibro themselves....

I take Gabapentin but I have to take breaks from it. My husband and I were coming back from a trip. We stopped the truck so we could go in and eat. As I opened the truck door to step down I slid all the way down to the runners on the truck. I could not move my legs at all and this lasted for about it. I went to see my Dr after I got back in town and described what had happened and learned that what happened was one of the side effects of Gabapentin. This is why I research all side effects.

Sorry to here that ,but what do you mean by side affect, do you mean your legs giving out .I’ve been on it years and I’m fine.
Of course everyone is very different,do hope your ok now xx

I'm fine now. Thank you for your concern.

I agree that most Drs. don't know what to do with us. I go to my rheumatologist and the first thing he asks is how is my pain. I am fortunate that I do not have a lot of pain. I believe the Cymbalta has a lot to do with that. MY pain is caused by osteoarthritis in my back. I have learned how to control the flares. I do wish I could find a Dr that would actually listen to all of the effects of this disorder. I stretch in the morning and I believe that helps also.

I do wish I could find a Dr that would actually listen to all of the effects of this disorder.
You might try doing a Google search, something like - "doctor+fibromyalgia+ fill in your city"

Gábapentin is very safe and is a tier 1 medication for fibromyalgia.
I would assure him you are taking it appropriately and helping
Fibromyalgia is like a game of baseball where most interventions are singles and occasionally doubles. These work in combination with a diet that is mostly Whole Foods plant based, consistent regular activity that is higher than those unaffected by fibromyalgia, good sleep, stress management and appropriate medications
Dr., my neck is the part of my body that really doesnt give me a break but recently my scalp started to hurt as well, like every day. can this be one of the many fibro symptoms or it is related to my neck pain?

Hope you don’t mind but what exercise? I know things like swimming, walking, cycling& yoga are okay..is this what you meant?
How does one get their muscle strength back? I used to go to the gym 5 days per week for years until I got hit with this condition& my muscles have become so week. I don’t feel weights is appropriate for me with my level of pain so apart from the above are there any other’s. I’m going to start “Yin” yoga soon as apparently it’s good for fibromyalgia sufferers.
Thank you

Yoga - various sorts, Tai Chi, Qigong, stretching - whatever you do take care to pace yourself. Almost everything I do has to be under 20'' a stint. Yin yoga ripped me apart, after one of pain docs had passionately recommended it, cos they want you to do things for minutes, not seconds. I keep to my back exercises, then do back (i.e. active) yoga in short stints, whilst the slow movements of everything else is bad for me. When I am in pain or just generally twist-stretching each limb or everything together ("Charlie Chaplin position" bending outwards, then inwards) helps me a lot. With the help of GABA I can now do the 7 minute scientific workout again every day. The workout's the shortcut to the gym.... I'd be able to go to the gym now I think, but I do about 1h of self treatments plus 1h+ table tennis every day and 2x2h/week of acupressure, and working plus needing rest a bit etc., and analyzing symptoms & the GABA-effects etc., writing my blog & stuff means it's a bit of a time problem at the moment... :rolleyes:

Hope you don’t mind but what exercise? I know things like swimming, walking, cycling& yoga are okay..is this what you meant?
How does one get their muscle strength back? I used to go to the gym 5 days per week for years until I got hit with this condition& my muscles have become so week. I don’t feel weights is appropriate for me with my level of pain so apart from the above are there any other’s. I’m going to start “Yin” yoga soon as apparently it’s good for fibromyalgia sufferers.
Thank you
The actual type of exercise doesn't really matter. The most important thing is that you enjoy it because you need to do it every day, and it's much easier to do that if it is something you enjoy. So, experiment and find something you like and do it.

I used to lift weights and I was very good at it, very muscular, and I loved it. It was extremely hard for me to give that up, because I am no longer able to hold the weights due to wrist and back problems. I know how that feels...believe me. but if I can't do it, then I can't. So, I do something else.

How you get muscle strength back is by doing whatever exercise you choose diligently. If you just can't on one day, be easy with yourself, but go back to it the next day. Don't try to push your body and work up slowly. And, I know this may sound silly, but tell yourself what a good job you are doing after you exercise, even if it is only for 5 minutes. Really, it helps. Just moving your body is the main thing.

And, sadly, I have to say that it's not especially likely that you will ever regain all the muscle strength you used to have unless the fibro goes into remission. It was very hard for me to accept this, but I know it's true. So, I have approached it by saying to myself that if I can't do what I used to do, OK. then I will do what I CAN do. And since that's my best, that is good enough. And if you do your best you will regain some of the muscle strength you lost. How much? Well, you have to find out.

(PS and remember you don't have to do your best every day, either. Just do your best overall. That's what I do.)

Back