DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
UK
State
CT
Hi All,
Diagnosed with Fibro and ME/CFS, I am experiencing quite severe chest pressure/tightness.
Dr puts everything down to Fibro but this is not point pain by any means, feels far more like heart or lung issues and I am concerned.
Costochondritis has been rules out.
If anyone else on here has experienced this within Fibro please let me know. I don’t think it’s part of Fibro but maybe wrong.
Thank you

Hi,
I have had this for months on and off and doctor and osteopath both say it is Costo. I find it worse after a bowel movement. Also have lightheadiness a lot.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
Sorry your also suffering.
My rheum has done a full bone scan and says it’s not costochondritis but Fibro (find that a bit weird tbh, as it would costochondritis then).
Do you mind if I tell about mine to compare please? ...

Severe chest tightness and pain,worse up to about lunchtime, then back late pm but often continuous or goes for a day then returns. Been like this for about 7 months.

It goes around the back also.

Sternum and rib pain not always with the tightness.

Some lightheartedness on/off.

I have gastro issues also.

Heart area pain very defined, more than the rest.

Sudden extreme sweating too.

Is it similar to yours?
xx

Yes afraid it is. I do get good days without any pain but other days it is frightening. Bad headaches and feeling sick, don't know what to do for the best. Am now trying a Tens machine for the pain, which has a very good write up. X

A bone scan cannot be used to rule out costo - but it can be used to rule out stress fracture.

I have the same kind of pain you describe and went for many years before someone said it was costo. I get pressure and severe soreness at m y breastbone and ribcage. It can last for months.

For me, cold pacs help, as well as anti-inflammatories.

If you are very worried about the possibility it could be your heart, it might be useful to see a cardiologist. I've been to the ER several times and have had work-ups, but everything has been fine.

My go has decided to get my heart checked out as my bloods came back with high cholesterol too,though I’m not convinced it’s heart issue. But checking is a good thing.
Apparently Fibromyalgia/ME CFS can be a cause of high cholesterol..no idea if that’s true.
Doctors like to blame everything on these conditions sometimes.

I'd also carry on thinking about this just as you are and getting things checked. :)
I used to have problems like this decades ago and it was never the heart, altho I now know I do have cardiovascular issues.
My reasons were "Roemheld syndrome", i.e. pressure on the heart from the gut due to IBS/food intolerances, needing an elimination diet (and herbal remedies, like psyllium). And over-reacting intercostal muscles, which needed good PT-exercises.
Often my old problems (skin, gut, back & nerves) interreacted, so it was important thinking of and differentiating several factors involved for one symptom (e.g. belly ache, heart ache, skin itchiness). Because if you only find one factor and the others are still there, it doesn't seem to make much difference...

I deal with this sometimes as well and have been checked out and for me they have said it's stress. And honestly I believe them, but getting that stress and anxiety under control can be tricky.

I also have this! Aching around heart area, dull ache under rib cage and under collar bone area. I have been to ER a few times worried about heart but everything comes back fine.

just got diagnosed but the check pain tightness is one of my symptoms

Well, ok, I've had a couple of bouts of costochondritis about 8-10 years back after getting bronchitis - I got an EEG as there were worries I was having a heart attack the pain was that sudden and bad, but it turned out to be costo.
Now I frequently wake up feeling tight chested and a bit sore and sometimes through the day on bad days, but I just put it down to exaustion, so go figure. May be yet another symptom as it is inflammation related.

Thanks Whatsherface.
I recently tried to do some basic knitting....bad move!
Within hours my sternum, neck and ribs were in awful pain, even worse was very severe TMJ along with full on jaw pain. I guess it’s because knitting is a repetitive movement.
So disappointed and fed up with being able to do such little 😩x

My right chest suddenly cramped up for no real reason today, had to stretch a minute in the opposite direction to stop it...
There's nothing (I think really no thing, just ) I can do for hours any more without breaks. Luckily I'm a multi-tasker / task swopper. I couldn't imagine knitting for more than 30 minutes. Not more than 1 minute without supporting my wrists and continually moving the rest of my body (e.g. on a swivel chair) that is.

Maybe you have to get more exercise if you can. It happened to me before but I tried to sweat at least 30 mins a day, and luckily I don't get it anymore. Anyhow, Merry Christmas!

Yup, and if 30 mins and/or sweating is too much ;-) then 8x4 mins gentle exercises spread over the day can take you a long way too... Happy Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back