Clicking joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medicine

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
All my joints seem to click (often) and have for a long time. Sometimes I've been doing it on purpose to release pressure. From personal experience joint supplements are useless and unnatural, I also believe taking supplements makes you gain visceral fat which is unhealthy - but happy to hear opinions.

My aim is to try to never click anything in my body even if it means being less active for the time being, I certainly can't move as fast etc for concern about clicking a joint (or push myself to walk much). Clicking seems to release endorphins and becomes addictive, something I need to stay away from. When you are in pain all over from fibromyalgia it is difficult not to crave these endorphins, but it is something I am going to try to avoid completely , a challenge - especially whilst trying to lose weight too. I wonder if anyone has conquered this sort of problem (or trying to conquer it)? I believe there are old threads on this by a search on google, but making a new thread seemed better rather than bumping

Thanks

When you say "clicking", do you mean something like "Cracking Knuckles"? If so, I've read it's a bit of a old wives' tale that it's actually bad for you; it's just simple releasing pockets of air that can be build up in joints. It doesn't lead to arthritis like my mom used to tell me :)

Hi Medecine,

Clicking joints can be a sign of hypermobility, and even Ehlers-Danlos syndrome - which often co-occurs with Fibromyalgia - so that might be worth looking into! I agree that it doesn't do any harm to crack your joints, so I don't actually think you need to worry about it. It's interesting that you're aware it gives you an endorphin rush - I imagine it could also be giving you a dopamine kick too! If you want to replace the habit, perhaps try to look for something else you can do to stimulate brain chemistry in a different way, like picking an essential oil you love and smelling it whenever you need a "fix".

I also believe taking supplements makes you gain visceral fat which is unhealthy
If you haven't found joint supplements to be useful, then by all means stay clear. However, don't be of the mind that all supplements are bad - each contains very different nutrients, the majority of which are always naturally present in our bodies to some extent and are ultimately essential to our survival. Supplements allow us to increase our levels of nutrients that we may not be getting enough of from our food, may not be absorbing adequately, or our bodies natural production of may not be working as it should. Different supplements are produced in very different ways - with a variety of binding agents and ingredients. It is certainly not the case that all supplements will cause you to gain viceral fat. In fact, some supplements, such as L Carnatine and probiotics, have shown promise for reducing viceral fat in studies.

I hope that helps!

Yes, I know they don't necessarily consider it bad. The issue is after the rush - endorphins, dopamine or whatever..soon after I feel it tightening up again and feel like I need to click the joint, or whatever, again. I also have a feeling I would feel more stability in the body in general if I could stop, it feels like it is making me weaker and less stable joints.

I know the habit could be replaced, I tend to end up drinking too much water to try to avoid doing it. Something I need to stop doing. Yes that is interesting about supplements, I found when I took them I gained weight particularly in the stomach area - so trying to avoid taking any at all costs. I liked the posts, maybe something else has something extra. We'll see!

Which supplements were you taking? I ask because they all contain very different things, so will have entirely different impacts.

If your instinct is that clicking your joints is detrimental for you, then I'd trust that and keep working towards breaking the habit. I hope you find the right resource to help you do that - it's amazing how difficult our brains can make these things!

None right now apart from low carb protein shakes sometimes . But I've taken other supplements before like multi vitamins, other stuff and joints ones and I think I feel better without them. I don't take painkillers or anti inflammatories either, just don't think it's natural and overall makes me worse after experimenting for a while. I'm also hoping that losing weight will be good for my joints etc more than anything, plus trying to avoid clicking anything. Agree about the brain definitely. Thanks

Getting the nutrients we need from our diet is always the first place to start, so go with your gut! I totally agree on the painkillers - better when we can avoid them, although I know sometimes they become necessary.

Aside from aromatherapy, I also sometimes use a chilled headband to distract my brain when it's being unhelpful. Smoke and mirrors - whatever helps!

I thought this over slightly. I might be trying to avoid something out of my control. Was reading and thinking about a past thing I heard “control the controllables”. Actively trying to avoid clicking joints might be too much physical and mental hard work! I feel like it kinda just happens but I will report back if it ever stops! Thanks for all the input though still

Great that you're self analysing! Good luck 🌻

Hi ya I'm also always clicking joints more like grinding left shoulder and collar bone area worst explained it to my gp but they always said was nothing to worry about strange that it always happens before I get really bad muscle pain allover for days tho

When you say "clicking", do you mean something like "Cracking Knuckles"? If so, I've read it's a bit of a old wives' tale that it's actually bad for you; it's just simple releasing pockets of air that can be build up in joints. It doesn't lead to arthritis like my mom used to tell me :)
Hello. Please DM in private. Thank you.

I thought about making a new thread - but decided to post this as a continuation. A stress free mindset.

I have been focusing on a stress free mentality. Being single this is much easier for me. I’m aware if you aren’t this could be harder, including whenever you do a group/team activity (including working with others in your actual job). When I am alone I only take the most stress free option currently - this goes for everything , if/when/what to eat and drink, if/when to move/exercise, when/if to talk to or contact someone, thoughts - I block out negative ones and take the most stress free thought, I ignore all judgments or thoughts of judgments of me by others, I take care not to push myself - to take things at a stress free speed and taking the most stress free option at all times.

This mindset has stopped by body constantly clicking since the last post without effort , the stress free option is the least effort in all senses if you can be content with it - it must have been stress related the clicking because of that , stress causing me to make some wrong choices in terms of living everyday life compared to what was optimum for me , if I take the stress free choice at all times I don’t get this clicking at all and my pain is much lower right now. stress free involves never judging yourself for whatever the most stress free “urge” you have is. It involves being content with self. It may take some practice. Having experimented for so long psychologically and physiologically I believe this is the approach to take from now on - including never getting (even remotely) pressured/peer pressurised by someone else into doing ANYTHING. Once again I’m single (intend to stay single for a while at least ) and this mindset is working for me. I can’t necessarily comment on if you have relationships or a stressful job - fortunately I am based from home and work for myself , makes this much easier- but regardless - of course this has worked for several days, I can’t guarantee it would work forever, just an idea I came across - you certainly don’t have to follow my advice and like I said your lifestyle might not allow it anyway. This is what worked for me, you might be keeping these problems for another reason than stress - though I’m sure minimal stress is good for anyone , hence I felt the need to share this.

Good luck all

I thought about making a new thread - but decided to post this as a continuation. A stress free mindset.

I have been focusing on a stress free mentality. Being single this is much easier for me. I’m aware if you aren’t this could be harder, including whenever you do a group/team activity (including working with others in your actual job). When I am alone I only take the most stress free option currently - this goes for everything , if/when/what to eat and drink, if/when to move/exercise, when/if to talk to or contact someone, thoughts - I block out negative ones and take the most stress free thought, I ignore all judgments or thoughts of judgments of me by others, I take care not to push myself - to take things at a stress free speed and taking the most stress free option at all times.

This mindset has stopped by body constantly clicking since the last post without effort , the stress free option is the least effort in all senses if you can be content with it - it must have been stress related the clicking because of that , stress causing me to make some wrong choices in terms of living everyday life compared to what was optimum for me , if I take the stress free choice at all times I don’t get this clicking at all and my pain is much lower right now. stress free involves never judging yourself for whatever the most stress free “urge” you have is. It involves being content with self. It may take some practice. Having experimented for so long psychologically and physiologically I believe this is the approach to take from now on - including never getting (even remotely) pressured/peer pressurised by someone else into doing ANYTHING. Once again I’m single (intend to stay single for a while at least ) and this mindset is working for me. I can’t necessarily comment on if you have relationships or a stressful job - fortunately I am based from home and work for myself , makes this much easier- but regardless - of course this has worked for several days, I can’t guarantee it would work forever, just an idea I came across - you certainly don’t have to follow my advice and like I said your lifestyle might not allow it anyway. This is what worked for me, you might be keeping these problems for another reason than stress - though I’m sure minimal stress is good for anyone , hence I felt the need to share this.

Good luck all
Suppose this is a bit pseudoscience ish, anyhow my joints don't really ever click now apart from if I'm really tired at time and thought it could help. Doesn't seem to be a way to edit posts here, so just quoting this. If you don't agree no problem of course.

Good luck all

Hi Medicine,

This sounds like a strong approach. You're totally right that learning we don't need to give into external pressure or put ourselves in vulnerable positions is really powerful! The one thought it occurs to me to add to it is to perhaps start training yourself not only to avoid stress, but how to interrupt it when you encounter it. It's almost impossible to avoid stress all together in life, and sometimes when we focus too much on avoiding it we can wind up missing out on some really beautiful life experiences!

A psychologist I saw last year got me to make a notation diary every day in which I tracked every time my symptoms got worse, and tried to look back and identify what might have triggered them. I was shocked to realise that while there were some obvious big triggers in my life, even tiny little things like my family leaving socks on the floor or an irritating message from a client were causing my body to shift into a more stressed state that would then trigger my pain to get worse - I was totally primed for it!

Next, he got me to do the same thing again, but this time trying to notice, in the moment, as soon as a stress response started, and write down how it felt. As I got the hang of that, he got me to start trying to interrupt it; when I felt the start of the shift, I had to immediately do something to pull it back - a breathing exercise, going into a dark room for 5 mins, or something like that. With practice, I reached a point where when I noticed myself starting to get stressed, I could just tell myself to release the tension and it would start to go away. I was surprised that it's just like training a muscle - the more you practice, the easier it gets.

I think ultimately, a combination of both tactics is probably ideal. We can steer clear of stress whenever we are able, and then develop skills to navigate it better when we can't avoid it - or when avoiding it means missing out on something we want! It's definitely all a balancing act, but I guess knowing that it's something we can work on and improve is pretty empowering. It sounds like you're getting really good at tuning in to your instincts, so keep flexing that one too :) Fantastic that this is helping your clicking joints - a great breakthrough!

Hi Medicine,

This sounds like a strong approach. You're totally right that learning we don't need to give into external pressure or put ourselves in vulnerable positions is really powerful! The one thought it occurs to me to add to it is to perhaps start training yourself not only to avoid stress, but how to interrupt it when you encounter it. It's almost impossible to avoid stress all together in life, and sometimes when we focus too much on avoiding it we can wind up missing out on some really beautiful life experiences!

A psychologist I saw last year got me to make a notation diary every day in which I tracked every time my symptoms got worse, and tried to look back and identify what might have triggered them. I was shocked to realise that while there were some obvious big triggers in my life, even tiny little things like my family leaving socks on the floor or an irritating message from a client were causing my body to shift into a more stressed state that would then trigger my pain to get worse - I was totally primed for it!

Next, he got me to do the same thing again, but this time trying to notice, in the moment, as soon as a stress response started, and write down how it felt. As I got the hang of that, he got me to start trying to interrupt it; when I felt the start of the shift, I had to immediately do something to pull it back - a breathing exercise, going into a dark room for 5 mins, or something like that. With practice, I reached a point where when I noticed myself starting to get stressed, I could just tell myself to release the tension and it would start to go away. I was surprised that it's just like training a muscle - the more you practice, the easier it gets.

I think ultimately, a combination of both tactics is probably ideal. We can steer clear of stress whenever we are able, and then develop skills to navigate it better when we can't avoid it - or when avoiding it means missing out on something we want! It's definitely all a balancing act, but I guess knowing that it's something we can work on and improve is pretty empowering. It sounds like you're getting really good at tuning in to your instincts, so keep flexing that one too :) Fantastic that this is helping your clicking joints - a great breakthrough!
Hi Jemima thanks for the post. Interesting information. Yes even tiny things can effect stress, I’m super aware about that too from trial and error - yes I agree - yes perhaps the extension of my idea is to take stress on head to head and “counter attack” it when necessary as well as trying to avoid it (which you also explained in your own way). Good ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back