Clothing sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
My skin sensitivity started way before fibro and means I can only tolerate cotton, without Spandex, and fairly untreated, so usually organic, but not even that if it's been treated strangely, which I can sometimes feel in the shop, or after a few hours of wearing I smell like a tom cat 🙀:eek:. Synthetics only if it's a thin layer far away from my skin and only for a short time if it's really cold... Sheepwool seems OK now, but not sure...

Inappropriate advertising / spam
Sensitive skin is a common problem. However, the condition itself is not a medical diagnosis. This usually characterizes the skin, which is more prone to inflammation or reactions to various irritants. Therefore, I choose high-quality clothes for myself and for my children.

Buster Brown still makes socks that rely on the knit pattern (knit and purl) to stay up instead of elastic. I have a friend who wears silk long underwear under her clothing. She's found that it protects her from any little irritation that even the most "comfortable" outerwear might have. She says it feels warm in winter and cool in summer. (I'm not so sure about the second, but she swears it's true.)

Some nights, I'm bothered by restless leg syndrome. I tuck my knit (T-shirt material) pajamas into my socks, and the problem goes away. I think it was subtle movement of the fabric across my legs that caused the creepy-crawleys. Anyway, the socks anchor the pj legs in place, and my legs settle down.

Clothing is a major issue for me in many ways & I, too, opt for comfort as the priority, especially with skin contact.
I was a Hippy & once a Hippy always a Hippy, though I think it's call 'Boho' now,
Except for when I'm well enough to be a Goth, a Pirate, or a Steampunk, on weekend meets!
I live in long skirts & in the summer, long dresses, with silk petticoats & slips underneath
(& yes, it's true that silk is both cool when it's hot & warm when it's cold,
which is why First World War Pilots flying open planes were issued silk vests)
Long skirts enable me to go without either tights or underwear, as I've always been prone to Cystitis & it's healthier for females
& always nighties, never pj's.
In the winter I just put extra layers underneath & wear knee-high socks, though I, too, have to avoid tight elastic on my legs.
Another absolute necessity is comfy shoes that don't pinch or rub, as those cause sores on my feet.
In addition, being easily injured just by a draft, a sudden shower, cold, heat, or strong sunshine,
I always have to wear weather-appropriate clothing
but alas, I've never mastered this skill, so have to wait for 'Goldilocks' weather ie not too hot, not too cold, no cold winds & no rain forecast.
Plus, if going out for a walk etc, I have to take every potential requirement for the now suddenly-ever-changing weather.
Which living in the north of England, Includes snow shoes but seeing as I'm forgetful & keep dropping things as I'm clumsy,
I usually don't bother & then end up regretting I didn't bring it.

Last edited:
If going out shopping (once or twice a week at most for essentials), I now seem unable to handle carrying more than one thing,
even though I always use a shoulder bag with the necessary wide strap that goes across the body, so my hands are free (in theory)
but fact is, if I had any other kind of bag I'd leave it somewhere.

At a push, I can just about mange a clutch of bags-for-life but add the likes of a hat, scarf, umbrella, gloves & a face mask,
and there is an inevitable commotion & first scene of the outing, when I inevitably drop the face mask, usually in a dirty puddle more or less immediately, so can't wear it.

Then, after taking forever making difficult to impossible decisions about which groceries to buy, as for some reason I can't make decisions about anything anymore & it doesn't help that I always discover I've lost my specs halfway through the ordeal.

I then usually cause a scene at checkouts, as I fumble about trying to find my purse etc
& thus, realise that I have become one of those infuriating people at the front of the queue holding everyone up take forever to sort themselves out.

When exiting the supermarket in a state of near collapse,
I find I have no idea where my friend's car (she kindly gives me a lift as I always cause chaos on buses, even if I get the right bus).
is parked, even though I was in the car when it got parked.

Finally, when I make it home bad-tempered in a state of total mental & physical exhaustion,
I discover, as usual, that I've left a trail of my belongings in my wake, though I cannot recall where.

So I reckon I'm now a fully paid-up card-carrying member of 'The Lost & Confused Club'
but hey ho, what's life without a challenge ;)

Last edited:
...then after struggling through the pain & confusion barrier to put the shopping away, trying to remember why on earth I bought this or that,
though not all of it, just the fridge/freezer stuff as that's all I can cope with when my batteries are on empty
& I put the kettle on to make myself a mug of strong Builder's tea to be accompanied by life-enhancing chocolate (or just biscuits if it's Lent),
planning to put my feet up for ten minutes, or an hour, or ten,
I inevitably discover I'm one bag of shopping short, so I phone friend to check if I've left it in the car & she sighs heavily
and if I'm in luck it is but more often or not it isn't
and then horror of horrors, I remember it's the one with the chocolate &/or biscuits in,
so I reluctantly have to settle for Cough Sweets.

Greenpeace - if it was your intention to coax 4 or 5 deep understanding chuckles, you have in my case well succeeded! :D:giggle:

Greenpeace - if it was your intention to coax 4 or 5 deep understanding chuckles, you have in my case well succeeded! :D:giggle:
It might be my fault (it usually is) but I can't find a post by 'Greenpeace'
Have I missed it (I often do) (?)

It might be my fault (it usually is) but I can't find a post by 'Greenpeace'
:ROFLMAO: Not your fault at all, I can't either!
Green 💚and peace ☮️🕊️may have to do with the colours 🏳️‍🌈and symbol 🌈of a rainbow, plus your avatar is 🟢 too,
but I think maybe Greenpeace's 3 ships called "Rainbow Warrior" were mainly what detracked my thoughts.... Sorry! 😊
So.... Rainbow: if it was your intention to coax 4 or 5 deep understanding chuckles, you have in my case well succeeded! :D:giggle:

:ROFLMAO: Not your fault at all, I can't either!
Green 💚and peace ☮️🕊️may have to do with the colours 🏳️‍🌈and symbol 🌈of a rainbow, plus your avatar is 🟢 too,
but I think maybe Greenpeace's 3 ships called "Rainbow Warrior" were mainly what detracked my thoughts.... Sorry! 😊
So.... Rainbow: if it was your intention to coax 4 or 5 deep understanding chuckles, you have in my case well succeeded! :D:giggle: :)
We may never know but I like your off-grid random thinking, my own thoughts are often derailed from the tracks,
so a kindred spirit me thinks lol!

If going out shopping (once or twice a week at most for essentials), I now seem unable to handle carrying more than one thing,
even though I always use a shoulder bag with the necessary wide strap that goes across the body, so my hands are free (in theory)
but fact is, if I had any other kind of bag I'd leave it somewhere.

At a push, I can just about mange a clutch of bags-for-life but add the likes of a hat, scarf, umbrella, gloves & a face mask,
and there is an inevitable commotion & first scene of the outing, when I inevitably drop the face mask, usually in a dirty puddle more or less immediately, so can't wear it.

Then, after taking forever making difficult to impossible decisions about which groceries to buy, as for some reason I can't make decisions about anything anymore & it doesn't help that I always discover I've lost my specs halfway through the ordeal.

I then usually cause a scene at checkouts, as I fumble about trying to find my purse etc
& thus, realise that I have become one of those infuriating people at the front of the queue holding everyone up take forever to sort themselves out.

When exiting the supermarket in a state of near collapse,
I find I have no idea where my friend's car (she kindly gives me a lift as I always cause chaos on buses, even if I get the right bus).
is parked, even though I was in the car when it got parked.

Finally, when I make it home bad-tempered in a state of total mental & physical exhaustion,
I discover, as usual, that I've left a trail of my belongings in my wake, though I cannot recall where.

So I reckon I'm now a fully paid-up card-carrying member of 'The Lost & Confused Club'
but hey ho, what's life without a challenge ;)
RAINBOW---
Just a few suggestins in case they help (things I do that have helped me a great deal):
I only use a cross-body bag, one that fits tightly against my body and lies pretty flat. I usually wear it underneath my coat or jacket if I am wearing one. Mine is called the "sash bag", and cost a lot of money but I won't ever want anything different, so it's worth it. It simply cannot be lost or set down anywhere.

I put my face mask on before I leave the car so that all I am carrying is my canvas shopping totes, and they are all folded up into one large bag which slings over my shoulder.

I never go grocery shopping without a list. And I know that if it is on the list, I put it there for a good reason, even if I don't remember what that was. If I put an un usual item on the list I will actually write beneath it what it is for. I make my list day by day when I realize I need or want something, then convert it to a take-to-the-store list which is written in the order I go through the store, so it takes less time and I don't hav e to back-track. I always go to the same store, so I know where things are.

Since I wear my glasses all the time and never take them off, I can't lose them (this might not work for you if they are reading glasses). I have to take off and put on clip-on sunglasses, and I have only one place where they go and the moment I take them off that's where they go every time. this is a special place used only for those, in my bag. Equally I cannot have lost my bsg because it's on my body.

I cannot remember where I parked the car unless I say it to myself several times as I walk from the car to the store. I will say to myself, for instance, "straight down from the Pharmacy sign, next to the cart return". If I am having an especially difficult day I will actually write that down on the back of my shopping list, before I leave the car.

Sadly, I often also arrive home very tired and sometimes irritable. But my animals are used to that, and once everything is put away I can sit down or lie down for a while and then I am not irritable any more. I just don't take it out on them.

I hope that some of these things will help you. I honestly do not know if I would need all of them on every single shopping trip, but I always do all of them because that lowers my stress considerably, knowing I have taken steps to assist with things I might forget. If I don't protect myself from those things ahead of time and forget one, then I start feeling stress from that, which only makes it far more likely i will have trouble remembering another one, which in turn makes things worse. I think the same is probably true for you.

Please try some of them and let me know if anything helps.

I don't want to admit how many times I've forgotten where I parked! A picture with your phone or record on your phone what isle or lane helps.

Thank you Sunkacola, that's very kind of you.

Though from the sound of it I already do the things you do, apart from keeping my glasses on my head but always forgetting they're there,
which is always perplexing as I've got to be able to see the prices to be suitably shocked
& yet more mayhem ensuing if sunglasses are added to the mix (I'm Photo Sensitive too)
& inevitably losing my list very early on in proceedings.

Then having to retrace my steps to try & find it but whilst my head is down, the glasses usually fall off my head.

I was once able to retrieve my list from a young (very young but everybody seems to be nowadays) supermarket worker who was sweeping up a mess (not made by me for a refreshing change), who was kind enough to fish it out from the soggy contents of her rubbish bin liner
& handed it back to me with that sympathetic
but rather patronising smile that conveys...

"Maybe I'll be like you one day, if I live long enough"

I seem to get quite a lot of that.

Last edited:
Hi Rainbow.... If you already do the things I do, then I have to wonder how you could still have those problems. For instance, you can't drop your mask if you put it on in the car, if you are wearing a cross-body bag I don't know how you could not be able to find your purse because you are wearing it. And if you write down where the car is parked then you have that information. (Maybe write it on a separate piece of paper that you put into your pocket in case you lose the list).
If you can say more on why those things are not working, maybe I can help you further.
Put your glasses on a cord around your neck, and then they cannot fall off your head, nor get lost, and you will always know where they are.

As for the list, I have a way of doing that as well. I bring my own shopping bags with me - canvas totes - as I feel everyone should these days. I have them all folded inside one large tote bag which I put in the upper small part of the shopping basket near the handle. I put my list right on top of the folded bags, but inside the larger bag. Handy to grab or even look at without picking it up and it cannot get lost.

If you do not bring your own bags to the store, then grab something when you come into the store, and put it on top of the list in the upper part of the basket to hold it there. Or keep the list always in your pocket. Just look at it, put it back in your pocket. Or figure out a way to put it into a holder that you attach to your wrist. There are many different approaches, but definitely a solution.

I think all the problems that we have due to fibro can be accomodated, especially those rssulting from fog or forgetfulness. It is just necessary to find a work-around that will avoid the problem, one way or another, and then stick to that always. Pretty soon it becomes a habit. I also have a list by my front door that has all the things I need to do before leaving the house: lock back door, make sure I have my phone and so on. I can just check the list before I leave each time.

Hi again Sunkacola, wise advice as always & good points you make.

I'd go so far as to say, I'm in awe of your organisational skills which are far above mine but I do my best & that's all anyone can do.

I'd always have my mask at the ready in the car but finding them difficult, claustrophobic and they always give me a sore throat if worn too long, I only put it on before actually entering a public space so it's either on my lap in the car (dropped as I got out of car), in my hand (dropped en route,) or looped on my wrist my wrist (disappears up sleeve or drops off when fumbling).
I have now found a solution to this & reduced the stress of mask-wearing in one stroke by rarely, if ever, wearing them now
just like most people here in England where mask-wearing is no longer compulsory, whatever the perceived risk, rights & wrongs of that
As a result, my stress & anxiety levels have dropped considerably & my mental health, has benefited accordingly.
Though I must emphasise, I do not recommend anyone follows my example, even though they seem to be doing here.
Thing is, people have simply reached the end of their tether & want to move on to resuming some sort of a 'normal' life as best they can
& I'm one of those now.

The glasses round the neck thing is far too 'Hinge & Bracket' for me
(not well known entertainers these days but am sure they can be Googled & you'll see what I mean).

My pocket is one of the main places I lose lists from (I suspect Pick Pockets are Gas Lighting me).

I have found that a cross-body bag with multiple pockets is my Nemesis, so I've solved that 'Wrong pocket which pocket is it in?! angst
by just having a one section bag.
I don't/can't/won't do 'expensive' due to being on a very small income & supporting a homeless son.
I buy them in Charity Shops (Thrift Stores I believe they are called in the U.S.)
I buy everything in Charity Shops, as being of a Quaker background, we did 'Recycling' long before the word was invented.
In fact, I'd be naked without Charity Shops lol!

Anyway, as I said, I admire your ability to organise yourself so efficiently, especially as I admit efficiency is not one of my strongest points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back