Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
US
State
TX
I've never met someone who only had the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I have many other medical conditions, and I know at least many, if not most or all others with Fibromyalgia are in the same situation.

Some of my other conditions are: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Costochondritis, Migraine, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), Osteoarthritis, and Endometriosis.

Sometimes a treatment for one of the other conditions will exacerbate the Fibromyalgia or vice versa. It's rare to have a day when at least a few of the conditions aren't acting up, but sometimes the stars will align and I'll have a pretty good day when I'm able to feel almost normal again.

What about you? Do you have other conditions, and if so, what are they? I know many of us most likely have similar medical histories.

I think that one thing comes with the other. When we have Fibromyalgia it's hard not to have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome because we simply cannot cope and it's just natural that we get tired. On top of that we can get crazy due to the change in our lives, so migraine is the least of our problems... The solution is trying to discover what works best for us.

This is a reality that fibromyalgia patients have to cope with. There is a risk of morbidity associated with the treatment of various illnesses especially using chemotherapy. It is imperative that FM patients try to use alternative medicine and lifestyle changes to prevent negative drug interactions when undergoing treatment for other diseases.

Chemotherapy is one of those treatments that really makes me wonder what is worse, the disease or the cure? Alternative medicine and lifestyle changes as you mention can definitely make a significant positive impact in our life, so we cannot neglect that.

I've never met someone who only had the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I have many other medical conditions, and I know at least many, if not most or all others with Fibromyalgia are in the same situation.

Some of my other conditions are: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Costochondritis, Migraine, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), Osteoarthritis, and Endometriosis.

Sometimes a treatment for one of the other conditions will exacerbate the Fibromyalgia or vice versa. It's rare to have a day when at least a few of the conditions aren't acting up, but sometimes the stars will align and I'll have a pretty good day when I'm able to feel almost normal again.

What about you? Do you have other conditions, and if so, what are they? I know many of us most likely have similar medical histories.

I definitely have IBS and migraine! My IBS has been out of control lately due the stress I'm experiencing right now. It's awful, I also suffer from PCOS and a neurological issue. I'd say right now the IBS is the worst one, I've been bloated like a hot air balloon for almost one week :/ Stress is my main trigger, food intolerance only make things worse.

From what I've heard a lot fibro sufferers suffer from IBS as well... It might make a lot sense, because they believe IBS is basically caused by a malfunction of brain chemicals and neurotransmitters. So probably that is also the key to fibro? After all us IBS sufferers register normal sensations as painful.

The conditions you have mentioned are typical of a patient suffering from fibromyalgia. Stress is one of the conditions which might exacerbate the others and the medicines you take might not be synergistic, or work together. The best thing is to take each day as it comes and living for the moment. The best medicine against FM optimism, lifestyle adjustments as well as drugs. Embarking on a mission to learn about the condition will be hugely effective since you will am able to monitor yourself by keeping a diary to monitor the triggers of FM and then avoiding them.

Last edited:
@Trellum I understand. I also deal with the stress issues, as I'm sure most with chronic illnesses do, and the stress does exacerbate most, if not all of our conditions. The issues affect us and our families, as well as the finances. I agree, there's a malfunction. It seems signals are crossed. Sometimes the lightest touch can set me off, and I have a very low tolerance for noises and smells these days. When I feel the stress building, I start doing breathing exercises and stretching, which help.

I believe stress and trauma totally caused my fibro to start and i can pinpoint added emotional stress that had been happening around the time new symptoms started.

The problem is being so unwell is stressful and anything on top often seems too much for me these days and like so many i used to be the most capable type of person reduced to pyjamas and hot water bottles most days!

My fibro started out as wide spread body pain followed by muscle weakness some of the time ...then bit by bit interstitial cystitis..vulvodynia... tinnitus ... tmj disorder...migraines/face pain.... IBS....finally fatigue and most of the aforementioned all the time..

All increasing over 8 years.

Hugs to you all for keeping going with all you have on your plates.

I also have FMS and Interstitial Cystitis. I have been doing research on both as I am a doctoral student of psychology with a health emphasis. I have found that both of these diseases have unknown etiology therefore, doctors seem to have a hard time with helping clients manage symptoms. Times when I feel my best are when I am able to sustain a balanced diet which avoid foods that exacerbate my symptoms, and when I am physically fit... Oh and don't forget sleep!!!! It has been a upward battle for me the past year and a half or so as I have been in graduate training (ergo lack of sleep and great stress), as well as I have lost a significant family member. I am trying to get back on track health wise all while maintaining my millions of responsibilities. Self-care is harder than it sounds!:sad:

Anyways, I am going to post a link to my dissertation survey on some of these forums in the next few months or so... Hopefully people will be interesting in participating to help gain insight into our illness.

Welcome to the forum AmandaH

Graduate school is very demanding let alone doing it with a chronic illness. You are absolutely right, self care is a lot of work!

I'd love to read your dissertation -usually links get deleted by the moderators, though recently one went through. Let us know how to search for your paper too, just in case :)

My sixteen year old daughter has CFS/ME, CRPS and Fibro. I read a doctor's comments once, who said that 100% patients with fibro that he had seen had degenerative disc disease. She's not old enough to have it yet, but it makes me nervous about the future. I'm hoping the supplements will help to head it off.

I have had depression most of my life. As I age, I can see more and more anxiety rear it's ugly head. I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and while I was under some stress then - I have always had some stress in my life. I also have complex PTSD from my childhood (well first 26 years of life, I lived with abuse). I cannot say that the fibro is from stress or trauma or even infections. I have had multiple sinus infections in the last few years (too many). I struggle with headaches and have most of my life. I honestly don't know. I spent so many years just getting through each day, it is possible that my body is catching up with everything. Who knows? But...I agree with you (original poster) that it does seem to be multiple diagnoses.

@AmandaH @Willow I also have IC, have had it all of my life, although the diagnosis didn't exist then. I also have neck and back disk issues, spinal stenosis, TMJ, etc. I'd like to see your dissertation survey Amanda, as I'm sure many here would. Hopefully if you post a link, it won't be removed, but if so, let us know how to contact you to see it outside of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back