Not open for further replies.

jyl13

Diagnosis
06/1995
Country
US
State
FL
Has anyone had any cognitive testing? My rehmy had me take a test on Monday and it was really an eye opener. I am way below average in everything on the test (memory, memory recall, math, reaction time, logic etc). It proved to me why I am having such a hard time at work. I don't know if I should tell my supervisor about the test or not; it would explain my working issues. What do you think? It is so bad I am considering trying for disability.

Thanks for listening.
jyl13

jyl13,
Welcome to the forum. And in answer to your question, yes, I have had testing on my own, as well as, when I was trying to get disability. I was send by disability determination for that testing several different times and it showed that my ability to work in a regular job setting was very limited, due to memory and math, recall and confusion.

As for telling your supervisor, well do you get along good or not? And what type of work do you do? If your limitations are an important part of your job duties, you could give them a reason to let you go by telling them. On the other hand if your job duties are not closely related to the limitations and you get along well with your supervisor you might consider telling the supervisor about parts of the test and the results. I am not trying to scare you but jobs are hard to find in some areas and though you should not be able to get fired for the disabilities, when negative things become known some companies find excuses to let people go.

Let some other members voice their opinions on the subject, but I have found in my working years that it is often best to not be too open about the tests that prove disability in some area of our lives because it can be a factor in job loss whether they will admit it as the reason or not. Nothing spoils a day faster than job loss or even loss of self-esteem.

Otherwise I hope you will come back often and post around the forum. I wish you the best of luck. :)

I am way below average in everything on the test (memory, memory recall, math, reaction time, logic etc). It proved to me why I am having such a hard time at work. I don't know if I should tell my supervisor about the test or not; it would explain my working issues. What do you think? It is so bad I am considering trying for disability.

Just my personal opinion here... given as if I'd be in the situation... I'd be very hesitant to tell a supervisor anything negative about myself unless I worked for a family business or a very close friend.

Why? Well, because like most everything else in life, it could go either way. I might tell a boss about my low test scores thinking "this will surely explain to them why I've been having a hard time at work and they'll finally understand"... but to them, it could suddenly turn you into a liability for the company. It's not a risk I'd personally be willing to take and I'd just sit tight and hope that things start going better for me at work.

Don't tell. Jobs are so precarious these days any way, and why give them reason to be looking to get rid of you? If your boss hasn't complained about your performance, don't you be the one to bring it up.

I agree with Corvid here. Jobs nowadays are so precarious... the least you want to do is to give your supervisor and employers the chance to fire you. By saying your supervisor right now, I believe you are leaving the door open to that possibility, and that's something you will definitely end up regretting it. Just try to do your best at work.

Thank you for the advice, I think I will take it and just not say anything.

Thanks,
jyl

Hello,
I think you should discuss it with your senior because he might be help in your problem and if he is kind then may sole it. So better share it to someone who can help you and it also help to reduce you stress...

I would talk to your doctor about it, and tell him what you do for work. Maybe you could qualify for disability. I hope that they can't let you go for the problems that you are having. I'm not sure what the law states about things like that. I would check into it.

I agree with cpefley. Depending on the type of work you do, are you in a position that your cognitive impairments could potentially harm someone? With documented illness and cognitive decline, you should not have a problem getting SSDI. By the way, welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back