Common colds and Fibromyalgia. Suffering 🥺

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helenloulou

Hi,
I'm recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I'm 48 years old.
I wondered if anyone else really suffers when they get a cold? Every time I catch a cold, it literally floors me. I feel like I have the flu, aching all over, extreme fatigue and my skin becomes hypersensitive.
My Fibromyalgia symptoms get worse and I'm totally wiped out for days.
Is this a common thing with Fibromyalgia, or is it just me?
I also have hypothyroidism and a heart condition.
😊

Hi,
I'm recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I'm 48 years old.
I wondered if anyone else really suffers when they get a cold? Every time I catch a cold, it literally floors me. I feel like I have the flu, aching all over, extreme fatigue and my skin becomes hypersensitive.
My Fibromyalgia symptoms get worse and I'm totally wiped out for days.
Is this a common thing with Fibromyalgia, or is it just me?
I also have hypothyroidism and a heart condition.
😊

Hi Helenlouou,

Yep, I'm sorry to say, I think this is totally normal with fibro! I'm always exactly the same - the stress any illness puts on my body makes everything else play up, and I have to double down on self-care compared to others in order to get back to my baseline. Recent research is tying fibro more and more to immune system dysfunction, so perhaps that's part of the puzzle. I suspect the best we can do is be mindful to support our bodies as much as we can - doing all the things that would normally help with fibro symptoms too - so that we're on the strongest possible footing when a lurgy does the rounds :rolleyes: Maybe someone else here will have some useful tips for dealing with colds and fibromyalgia!

Welcome to the forum! 🌻

In general, fibromyalgia people get hit harder with various things that happen, including illness. We tend to take longer to recover from injuries and feel more pain from them and sometimes we get more sick with something simple like a cold than other people do.

I think the most important thing for us in dealing with minor illnesses is not to be too cavalier about it. A cold is simple and people just keep on doing what they usually do because it's common and not that bad of an illness. But for us, I think it's best to treat it carefully. Don't overdo things, get lots and lots of rest, cancel any activities you have for at least a week, and baby yourself. It's not being a wuss, it's doing what you need to do in order not to have it last a lot longer than it would for others.

Of course, taking care of your general health is the real key. Getting exercise, keeping stress low in your life, and eating a very healthy diet will help to keep your system working well and let your body have the energy to fight off what comes.

Yes, a normal cold for anyone else will literally incapacitate me for minimum three weeks and a good portion of that is spent in bed. Normally I am able to function on almost all days. I take extra care to avoid anyone who is sick, may have been around sick people, always wear a mask whether inside or out, wash my hands, use antibacterial on hands when returning to car, etc.. Often, a cold for me will even develop into bronchitis or pneumonia (almost always ear infections), so family members know to stay away if they are sick. Being proactive is the only thing that works.

Luckily CoV-social distancing parallel to the fibro means I haven't had a cold or the flu since a flu maybe triggered my full flare (since) Oct19.
Even now, altho everyone's getting a cold here again this year. But I caught a stomach bug from my grandchild giving me a sudden lip kiss a few weeks ago. Last time I went I wore a mask anyway due to the situation escalating here. Umckaloabo seems to me to be my most potent immune system shield, from the root of the South African plant Pelargonium sidoides, with no clear medical evidence, but so often did I seem to manage to get beginning cold symptoms down with it over the last 2 decades. The other thing which has become natural to me, but maybe isn't well known: Warm feet (hard with Raynaud) usually reduces /stops sore throat, which is always the entering point for a cold for me. So it's extra socks and/or a hot water bottle or heat pad on my feet.

Hi @Helenloulou, yes I get it, I used to just have colds/flu before and they’d pass quite quick but now is a completely different story, they seem to drag on leaving me with breathing problems (I also am hypothyroid autoimmune) 🌺🌟🌼

It's awful catching something with Fibro, I'm getting over a cold I caught the other week. Ribs still hurt a bit on my right side after coughing fits from last November's cold. Sharp pains all over is usually a sign that something's aggravated me. Prevention is a must where possible, unfortunately it's more difficult for us with illness and injuries. I find honey helps with sore throats and coughing. Only natural to cough but it can make things quite painful. Hopefully you will manage to get some rest and start to feel better soon. Keep warm and take care.

Get better soon Badger! 🍇🍫🤗

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back