Not open for further replies.

FM1

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
CA
Hi. I just attended a conference on Fibromyalgia and one of the things scientists/doctors discussed is meditation and brain power. I'd like to propose for everyone to come here every day and post three positive things that happened to them today. I'll start:

1. Attending FM conference made me feel like there are people out there working hard in helping us
2. I just age a chocolate that was so good
3. I watched my favorite show during lunch break today, all by myself!

(I use autogenic training and self-hypnosis and cultivate my inner happiness, however bad the pain is.)
I'm not allowed to eat chocolate or cheese because of too high blood fats. This evening, like the other day, I relished in treating myself with both, because of having pretty Big Ache - and felt much better for it! :)

That is a great idea! I believe that our mental wellbeing is directly connected to our physical. It may not get rid of the pain, but it will make a person feel lighter and more positive about dealing with the illness. Today, I read an interesting book, cooked a new recipe I saw on the internet, and I saw pictures of some people I used to work with.

Hi, it is a great idea. i bet the conference was really interesting. Did they suggest any meditation channel/video/source we can look up?
I ve been diagnosed with FM two months ago and every day i m making myself more aware of all the symptoms/pain my body go throu.
Doing that i also made myself aware that our mind is a really a powerful thing. If we find a way to control/retrain it it will be beneficial. However, it s not always easy :-/
Let s see...just got to work and not much happened from when i woke up...
1. Brought my 4yrs old daughter at school
2. Kissed my wife before leaving the house
3. Called my parents on my way to work

:)

Reactions: FM1
Time to time it’s ok to enjoy the forbidden 😊 Thanks for sharing!

JayCS, I’m curious what a self hypnosis is?

That is a great idea! I believe that our mental wellbeing is directly connected to our physical. It may not get rid of the pain, but it will make a person feel lighter and more positive about dealing with the illness. Today, I read an interesting book, cooked a new recipe I saw on the internet, and I saw pictures of some people I used to work with.
Sounds like a good day. Getting rid of the pain might be hard but trying to find distractions is realistic and worthwhile.

Hi, it is a great idea. i bet the conference was really interesting. Did they suggest any meditation channel/video/source we can look up?
I ve been diagnosed with FM two months ago and every day i m making myself more aware of all the symptoms/pain my body go throu.
Doing that i also made myself aware that our mind is a really a powerful thing. If we find a way to control/retrain it it will be beneficial. However, it s not always easy :-/
Let s see...just got to work and not much happened from when i woke up...
1. Brought my 4yrs old daughter at school
2. Kissed my wife before leaving the house
3. Called my parents on my way to work

:)
I took some notes and screenshots of their posters but unfortunately it wasn’t geared for FM patients but for medical staff. I was attending it because I am in the field. I was surprised to see the theme of medical doctors not jumping their gun with relying on meds and actually think first defence should be psychological and meditation, right use of muscles (eg tai chi) and if that doesn’t help, combination of meds and all that. They’re getting close to finding out diagnostic markers but not yet.
well done on kissing your wife before leaving Keep up the good work. 😊

Hi FM1: self-hypnosis is a relaxed, meditative state of mind, which you can induce with certain techniques. The difference to other relaxation forms for me is that it feels "numbing" and somehow deeper. Because of this it helps concentrate on one thing, usually what you want to do / change (like: sleep). I feel it is not the right state of mind to ponder on thoughts, wider meditation. Some say it takes experienced people to teach you this, because it is somehow dangerous when applied wrongly. But I know people who have self-help books on it.

Hi FM1: self-hypnosis is a relaxed, meditative state of mind, which you can induce with certain techniques. The difference to other relaxation forms for me is that it feels "numbing" and somehow deeper. Because of this it helps concentrate on one thing, usually what you want to do / change (like: sleep). I feel it is not the right state of mind to ponder on thoughts, wider meditation. Some say it takes experienced people to teach you this, because it is somehow dangerous when applied wrongly. But I know people who have self-help books on it.
Interesting. I tried meditation several times and every time I get disappointed. Mainly because as soon as I’m asked to relax and not think about anything and concentrate on my breathing and blah blah, all my attention diverts into feeling the muscle pain. As if all the distractions I’m asked to eliminate in my head during the meditation, were there to help me not feel aching and now they’re gone. So not sure if meditation is for me. I’ll have to look up self hypnosis. Thanks.

Yeah, "funny", in the rheum./fibro-clinic they were only doing progressive muscle relaxation with the patients. Seeing as their physio exercises had brought my muscles to flare it was exactly the wrong type of relaxation for me. I did autogenic training instead, which working for me, because the room itself was beautiful, nice lights, trickling water...
And what you are saying was exactly my problem when doing Buddhist meditation as a teenager with my back problems, and since then also.
But autogenic training has got better. I'm maybe best concentrated when I'm leading others... LOL.
And when you mention Tai Chi - I have to say: Can't manage that either, my arms ache like mad after 30 seconds! But doing some things lying down for 20 seconds I do now too. I found out that way that just putting my arms up lying down, as well as my legs, is helpful for the arm ache.

Yeah, "funny", in the rheum./fibro-clinic they were only doing progressive muscle relaxation with the patients. Seeing as their physio exercises had brought my muscles to flare it was exactly the wrong type of relaxation for me. I did autogenic training instead, which working for me, because the room itself was beautiful, nice lights, trickling water...
And what you are saying was exactly my problem when doing Buddhist meditation as a teenager with my back problems, and since then also.
But autogenic training has got better. I'm maybe best concentrated when I'm leading others... LOL.
And when you mention Tai Chi - I have to say: Can't manage that either, my arms ache like mad after 30 seconds! But doing some things lying down for 20 seconds I do now too. I found out that way that just putting my arms up lying down, as well as my legs, is helpful for the arm ache.
Sounds like, by trial and error, you found out what works best for you. I’ve always been jealous of people who tell me they can meditate and it makes such an amazing impact on their lives. Sounds like an easy fix I wouldn’t mind having 😊
I’m going to look into autogenic training as I’m intrigued now. Thanks for sharing with me!

Today, I helped a friend with her relationship problem. listened to her vent. I watched a good show, Queen's Gambit. I baked a cake!

Interesting. I tried meditation several times and every time I get disappointed. Mainly because as soon as I’m asked to relax and not think about anything and concentrate on my breathing and blah blah, all my attention diverts into feeling the muscle pain. As if all the distractions I’m asked to eliminate in my head during the meditation, were there to help me not feel aching and now they’re gone. So not sure if meditation is for me. I’ll have to look up self hypnosis. Thanks.
I had this too! I worked with a fantastic psychologist, who basically made me push through this. He told me that mastering meditation as a way of managing pain was something that was going to take work, and that I had to keep driving towards what he called "radical acceptance". I didn't believe that it was possible, as my instinct was to avoid moments of staying with the pain like my life depended on it! But, to my surprise, and with persistence, I learned to stay with it without sliding into a stress response, and actually self-soothe effectively. He also worked with me on Dr. Paul Gilbert's theories on self-compassion and our three emotional systems - well worth a Google!

I had this too! I worked with a fantastic psychologist, who basically made me push through this. He told me that mastering meditation as a way of managing pain was something that was going to take work, and that I had to keep driving towards what he called "radical acceptance". I didn't believe that it was possible, as my instinct was to avoid moments of staying with the pain like my life depended on it! But, to my surprise, and with persistence, I learned to stay with it without sliding into a stress response, and actually self-soothe effectively. He also worked with me on Dr. Paul Gilbert's theories on self-compassion and our three emotional systems - well worth a Google!
Will definitely look into it. I think my major hurdle is accepting the thought that meditation is a real thing. Working on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back