Reason
Friend
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
PT
State
Portugal
As I mentioned in my intro thread, my colleague was diagnosed just some months ago, she's feeling really tired, she has a hard time sleeping and she gets bone troubles often. What would be your advice, should she stop working or it depends on how she feels?

She could do a lot of work online to make money.
I am currently making money on mturk, clickworker, bestreviewapp, myappaware, apprebates, perktv, enroll, mobee, gigwalk, and a bunch of other sites.
Then she could rest when she is able, but still make some money.
Staying home all the time and not having anything to do might cause her worse pain and depression.
Inactivity and social isolation worsens chronic pain. If she chooses to stay home, make sure that she still gets exercise, gets out for relaxation things, and still makes a little money to make her happy so she can buy little things for herself.
Good luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends if she can afford it. I would certainly look into a possibility of working at home, even if it means a substantial pay cut. Some with Fibro can work, but it depends upon the severity amongst other factors.

Sure, stop working means stop receiving the income from the work, but at the same time it's for health conditions, so the state needs to step in I think.

My recommendation would be that if she feels too tired to work then she should rest sufficiently because life is for the living. However if she has the strength or interest she can also consider trying online jobs that may be convenient for her. She can try some of the sites above that others have already mentioned.

She should be honest with herself. If she is barely getting through each work day and feels like her health and her work is suffering because of overdoing it at the job, then I would say that she should stop working. I am in a similar place to your friend, after a year of working where I was on my feet all day I finally had to face reality that I can't handle it at this time in my life. Worked my last day last week, now I'm looking for some writing jobs online while trying to find better ways to cope with the fibro. She should listen to how she feels, and make sure that she is seeking advice from people who are understanding of her situation.

I'd get her to come join the site ,talk to ppl with this illness and let her make her own mind up .xx

And I would say that it depends on what is her job and whether she likes it or not. If she likes her job and you have a reasonable boss then maybe she could have her hours cut. She'd still be making some money, coming to work, being around people but it would be less of a burden for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back