Constipation help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Badger! IBS means I alternate between the runs and constipation. I find sipping warm water throughout the day helps (cold water can cause spasms). Also take Movicol or Laxido when danger of impacted poo occurs, despite the fact they taste like bath water. Co codamol is notorious for causing constipation. When my gut goes into painful spasm I take Buscopan (though not everyone can - it can cause visual disturbances). With any medication, I use warm rather than cold water. The only painkiller I can take is paracetamol, as my heart condition means aspirin and ibruprofen are not advisable. Don't overdo it re insoluble fibre- I've had 3 lots of surgery after band adhesions which I think was caused by fibre, despite it being the main advice given by medics! All the best finding something which relieves you personally.

Hi Badger! IBS means I alternate between the runs and constipation. I find sipping warm water throughout the day helps (cold water can cause spasms). Also take Movicol or Laxido when danger of impacted poo occurs, despite the fact they taste like bath water. Co codamol is notorious for causing constipation. When my gut goes into painful spasm I take Buscopan (though not everyone can - it can cause visual disturbances). With any medication, I use warm rather than cold water. The only painkiller I can take is paracetamol, as my heart condition means aspirin and ibruprofen are not advisable. Don't overdo it re insoluble fibre- I've had 3 lots of surgery after band adhesions which I think was caused by fibre, despite it being the main advice given by medics! All the best finding something which relieves you personally.
Sorry to hear about the surgeries, that's quite worrying. I shall try your tip of taking warm water rather than cold, mine is usually ice cold out of the mini bar. You're right about the taste of Movicol it's awful stuff and can cause nausea.

I am so sorry to hear this. First of all, I hope you get some relief soon. Secondly, I will tell you what I use for constipation caused by painkillers. I was already a daily fiber user, so I continue to take psyllium twice a day. Also, I began taking polyethylene glycol 3350, an osmotic laxative, once a day or every other day. Both of these work pretty well for me. When I am in extreme need, I will use an enema to get things moving.
I have since stopped taking the painkiller that was prescribed for me because I did not find it effective and the side effects were intolerable. However, when I was taking it these supplements or over-the-counter medicines worked for me.

psyllium helped me a lot, I've been talking it instead Movical for a few weeks. Movical sachets cause bloating and nausea. psyllium has helped to pass something nearly everyday

I second Badger's post. Psyllium is great stuff.
You can also try other natural remedies like prune juice. Many entirely natural possibilities are listed if you do a Google search.

Hi everyone this is my first post here, I’m a 29F and been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since February, had the symptoms for over 5 years before diagnosis. Currently on cocodamol 4 times a day and recently started pregabalin 75mg twice a day. Since starting pregabalin I’ve suffered terribly with constipation, it’s currently been 5 days since I ‘went’, I’m in agony.

I am now taking fybogel morning and night, lactulose 30ml morning and night, senokot 2 tabs a night and dulcoease 3 times a day and still nothing! Just wind and stomach cramps. I’m so uncomfortable I’m going to ring doctors in the morning if I still haven’t gone. I even stopped my usual medication for a couple of days thinking that was the problem, but still can’t go to the toilet and my pain was horrendous this afternoon so have taken my usual doses. I’ve only had this since starting pregabalin, I’ve been on cocodamol for years and never had this problem.

Anyone else suffer with being constipated? Any ideas of what I can try please? I’m at my wits end I just want to go to the toilet! Any tips for relieving the discomfort? Will a hot water bottle help or make it worse? Any type of tummy massages I can do to help me go?
Thank you for reading my embarrassing post :(

Hi Loulou - I'm sorry to hear you have that much pain and constipation. Please don't put off doing everything you can to get your bowels moving. Not to scare you , but I developed a leak in my colon due to constipation and had emergency surgery and ended up with a colostomy. You can try all of the suggestions above but trying an enema might be the immediate solution so you're not waiting and worrying. Now I take 500mls of Lactulose daily and naloxegel oxalate (Movantik in Canada- specifically for constipation from opiods). I also take a stool softner in the form of a gummy. Now I'm regular and my colostomy is gone and I can still take my painkiller. I know that this forum usually recommends natural solutions, but sometimes you need something more than that. :) Good luck!

Hi everyone this is my first post here, I’m a 29F and been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since February, had the symptoms for over 5 years before diagnosis. Currently on cocodamol 4 times a day and recently started pregabalin 75mg twice a day. Since starting pregabalin I’ve suffered terribly with constipation, it’s currently been 5 days since I ‘went’, I’m in agony.

I am now taking fybogel morning and night, lactulose 30ml morning and night, senokot 2 tabs a night and dulcoease 3 times a day and still nothing! Just wind and stomach cramps. I’m so uncomfortable I’m going to ring doctors in the morning if I still haven’t gone. I even stopped my usual medication for a couple of days thinking that was the problem, but still can’t go to the toilet and my pain was horrendous this afternoon so have taken my usual doses. I’ve only had this since starting pregabalin, I’ve been on cocodamol for years and never had this problem.

Anyone else suffer with being constipated? Any ideas of what I can try please? I’m at my wits end I just want to go to the toilet! Any tips for relieving the discomfort? Will a hot water bottle help or make it worse? Any type of tummy massages I can do to help me go?
Thank you for reading my embarrassing post :(
Hi-
I'm 55-65M.
Because of a surgery, I was loaded up on NSAIDS and opioids, and had the same issue for a while.
Some medications cause constipation.
I raised the amount of veg, fruit and fiber in my diet and that helped - and was much better for me than an off-the-shelf product from a drug store. Also, some types of magnesium supplement dissolve in water and may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back