Could Chronic Fatigue be linked to sleep disorders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow_Angel717

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MI
I've had trouble sleeping since 1995. Been on meds for 3 years now to help, and they do help. But even if I get 9-10 hours of sleep, I'm still tired. I could easily take a nap at any time. I'm wondering if the sleep disorder stops me from getting a really "good rest" at night...or maybe even it's the meds themselves. Some sleep meds stop you from going into that good REM sleep. What do you think about this theory? :?::?:

My sleep schedule has only recently gotten out of whack. I think in many there is a link, but I think the fatigue causes one to oversleep, not the other way around where the sleep itself is a cause of CFS.

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea. The doctors first thought I had narcolepsy, because of the daytime sleepiness. While I have hypoxia (low oxygen) during my sleep, I just think I am flat out TIRED! I have been on several medications for sleep and none can KEEP me asleep. My back pain wakes me up at least 4-5 times a night. Am I going to forever be exhausted?

Last edited:
A symptom of Fibromyalgia is this sleep disorder, you sleep and no matter how many hours
you don't get a restful sleep. Maybe this means you don't get rim sleep (don't know if that is
correct spelling), It is common to this disease and most mornings you feel as though you were
hit with a Mac truck.

Yes definitely. If you don't get enough sleep you feel tired. I know a friend that has sleep apnea and is always tired. He regularly goes to a sleep clinic where they research him and hooked him up to a special machine to control him waking up from the apnea. He is better now.

My significant other has sleep apnea. If he is snoring and doesn't use his machine, he is waking himself up constantly.
Our infant son also has apnea of prematurity. He stops breathing and turns blue and is only 3 months old.
It is very painful to watch them suffer with this. An apnea machine works wonders for them. They don't sleep well without them.

I don't think sleep disorders cause chronic fatigue per se. I actually think that CFS itself is more likely a cause of sleep disorders. Personally I find that I nap a lot more since having CFS, I also as a result sleep less at night, and wake up mroe frequently. Rather than get solid sleep I now always feel tired, nap, and then can't get solid sleep at night.

Yes, it can absolutely be linked to sleep disorders, but I'm always wary of saying that one may or may not "cause" the other specifically. Chronic Fatigue gives you the clue in the name - tired a lot of the time - and often no matter how much sleep you get, you may never feel as though you have the amount of energy to do the things that you want to do. It's a good idea to keep a sleep diary and a note of how you feel upon waking each morning and then later on in the day, because you might find that there is a link, you may even oversleep! 10 hours does sound like a lot, most people only really need between 6 and 8, so even trying to find the perfect amount of sleep for your own personal body could be of great help for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back