Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
Hi everyone! I'm a 20 year old female, and for the past year or so, I've been in constant pain. I just woke up with pain one day and it never went away. The pain radiates throughout my entire body, and it gets worse depending on how many activities I do during the day. I'm a full-time college student, and walking around campus all day is getting harder and harder because my legs hurt so badly. Sitting in class (or anywhere) is also difficult because my hips and back hurt, no matter how I'm sitting or lying down. Overall, I can still carry on with my daily activities, but the constant, radiating pain really distracts me. I've also noticed that if I'm holding a cold drink, my hands will begin to hurt more.

Sometimes I even hurt to the touch. A light tap on my shoulder or arm sends a deep pain throughout the area, and sometimes I can hardly stand to wear certain clothing because it hurts my skin. I get wiped out after doing simple activities, and I've been having issues with memory (not being able to remember if I had done something, going back to check, and then finding out I did that thing not two minutes ago, forgetting how to spell easy words sometimes, etc) and speech (saying the wrong word, knowing what word I want to say but unable to actually say it, and losing track of what I was saying midway through a sentence).

Could it be fibromyalgia? Is it even worth going to see my doctor? My doctor knows that I tend to worry about my health a lot, so I don't want him thinking that it's all in my head. But I know that it isn't. The pain is real, and it's really starting to distract me.

Sorry this is so long, but I could use some advice. :-?

Hello Shan and welcome

It sounds like you should definitely see your doctor. Many conditions have symptoms that overlap with fibromyalgia, so there is no way to know for sure what is going on without blood tests and such.

If you are nervous about talking to your doctor it might help write a few notes to yourself, especially if you are loosing track of conversations easily. Keeping a logbook of your symptoms can also be helpful - you may notice patterns and so forth. A logbook will also help you determine whether a course of treatment is helping you.

Good luck, if you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

Hi shan, its a sad thing when you are labled a hyperchondriach especially when you know that what you are experiencing is so so real.Of course we worry when we feel so terrible without explaination.I gave up going to the doctor for a long time as i felt like i was always being made to feel bad about myself.
Unfortunately sometimes things just got too bad, and i felt too sick to avoid it..purely by fluke i saw an emergancy gp for an entirely unrelated issue who i guess must have been reading my previous notes and she told me there and then she believed i had "fibro" i had never even considered it.
I agree with keeping a diary is a good idea,and perhaps seeking out a different doctor.
Good luck love. X

Yes go see the dr it sounds just like Fibro.i get the sore skin I hate it. I'm really sorry as your so young for this crap but do see a dr ,there are pills that can get u through the day.why sit in pain everyday.

I suggest that you see a Rheumatologist, Shan. There are other conditions that can cause severe pain. I good "rheumy" will do lab tests to learn if you have some other kind of immunological disorder, a thyroid condition, lupus, etc. There are no tests for Fibromyalgia. A "rheumy" can simply touch your tender points and make a determination as to whether you have Fibromyalgia.

Welcome to the forum

I wish you much success in getting an affirmative diagnosis.

If you are such pain, no rheumatologist is going to think that you are a hypochondriac.

Two Dimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back