Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
CA
State
ON
Okay, I have to ask.....do you find using a CPAP machine with your fibromyalgia a help? I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea but I know I can't sleep with that mask on my face. I am awake many times in the night because of pain - I need to move, so I know that face mask would end up on the floor more than on my face. I just feel like now they are saying everything will be better if you have a CPAP machine and I don't believe that. So I'm asking you, other fibro sufferers the question. Do you think it helps with your pain?

Frankie

I to need a sleep study .my dad has a cpap but he doesn't have fibro.i offen wake up holding my breath.if u need it then use it.if u sleep better then pain will feel better so in a way yes Id say it will help

Frankie, I have a sleep study tomorrow. I sleep horribly and am constantly shifting and moving. IF I'm diagnosed with sleep apnea, I too am curious how this will work. The best you can do is try it out. My dad uses just the small tubes that hook into his nose. In my discussion with him, it sounded like that is probably what I would use because it gives you the best mobility. Who knows, I may be wound up like a fly in a spider web by the time I wake up if I'm forced to use one!

I agree with Forgetment that if you need it and it will help you sleep better, you may have less fibro symptoms....That in itself would motivate me to make it work...

I will let you know on this thread, the outcome of my study, especially if I have to use a CPAP.

I am supposed to use one, but I cannot keep it on my face all night. My face hurts and feels swollen after a bit. I end up going in the living room and crashing on the recliner. It does not work for me. Best of luck to you.

Tharper, have you tried the small one that fits just in your nostrils? At the sleep study, she had me try all three of the different options (full nose and mouth, just over the nose and the small ones that just fit into your nostrils). I didn't have to have it put on while I was in there, but if I had, I found that one the least impacting and restrictive. She suggested putting emu oil on the rubber to prevent chafing and prolong the life of the rubber. If you haven't tried that one, I would suggest it. I would worry that if you have apnea and you aren't doing anything about it, you could have some serious long-term health issues. Heart attack being one of them. Having had one (at 49), I can tell you that it's scary as hell. I was fortunate that it was only a spasm, but it put me in a higher risk category for the rest of my days.

The tech told me I did show signs of apnea while I was in my REM state, but it didn't hit the 20 episodes so she didn't have to disturb me. She sent me home with all of the 3 masks. Now I wait for the doctor to review everything and call me for a follow-up to give me the results and next steps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back