Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
I was reading in another site, (people's pharmacy), about all the people having such trouble withdrawing from Cymbalta. From "brain zaps" to severe anxiety, vomiting, diarrhea, migraines and on and on. These symptoms can last months or a year or more. Most doctors don't even know about this as Lilly doesn't report this on their drug info. The problem is that it has been working so well for me and at last there is real control , -for now at least-(along with a fentanyl patch for a damaged kidney and DDD),for the most horrible pain. Does anyone have experience with this, (withdrawal), after being on it for awhile?

Not with withdrawal from Cymbalta (never been on it), but from Effexor, which is an SSRI. SSRI Withdrawal Syndrome is real and EVIL. I had the brain zaps so bad I had to stay in bed for 6 weeks trying not to move because the slightest movement would set off excruciating zaps throughout my whole body. It was like sticking a finger in an electrical outlet twice per second. When I'd have to get up or walk anywhere, I'd almost pass out. The brain zaps lasted almost a year before they finally faded away. I have no idea how I survived the pain. I guess we fibro folks are made of pretty tough stuff.

My doctor gave me Cymbalta and as I was getting nothing from it, I decided to stop taking it. I had no idea what the result would be. It is really hard to describe but it felt like my brain was floating around inside my skull; it was definitely more than just being dizzy. I googled it of course, and cut down really slowly. It took me months, at least 3 or 4. Happily, I got off of it with no negative side effects. I realize now that I should discussed it with my doctor first before doing anything, although come to think of it, maybe he should have told me about the down side of Cymbalta before I started taking it.

My ex's mom was on Cymbalta for a while and couldn't afford it at one point so she had to stop, well she had what she called "brain zaps", the runs, upset stomach, pain was worse (the Cymbalta was helping the pain somewhat while she was on it), depression, and other withdrawal symptoms.. She said the brain zaps were horrible!...

I took it at first many years ago, was one of my first med choices and one of the last ones. The withdrawal side effects weren't so bad, but I guess that's because I didn't take it so long. I think the withdrawal side effects are worse depending on how long you took it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back