Ever tried D-ribose for fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rabbitmom welcome to the forum ☕🧁, I can’t say it’s a name I’m familiar with, but I like to try new things. is it available in chemists/health stores in the uk? this has come at a perfect time as my fatigue (and pain) is quite bad at the minute, I’m sure you’ll get lots more welcomes and discussions on this soon welcome again 🍭🐰🍭

Last edited:
Hello there, Rabbitmom! Yes, I have tried many supps for fatigue, incl. D-ribose. When people wrote about it, it sometimes read like the militantly touted miracle cures such as guaifenesin, LDN etc., which seem to work perfectly for a few, but not for most. But it's cheap and easy to get and only few side effects, so worth trying. My end result: Initially it seemed a great booster, but I soon realized in the large amounts recommended it was no longer helping, but causing quite a few GI problems. I still use it before special challenges, but it's nothing more than a sort of short sugary boost, like eating chocolate or a Mars bar. Since it actually is a sugar, I'm worried it'll be bad for my general health (avoid simple carbs) and especially my lipids.
The medical evidence is only for CFS and only via an "open-label non-blinded, non-randomized, and non-crossover subjective study", so very placebo biased. It is supposed to work via mitochondria / ATP, something I'd often read and felt might be one of my problems. But it hardly helps me.
Instead and far before that I'd recommend L-carnitine, ALA, magnesium glycinate and malate, CoQ10, ginkgo and selenium, and if you've done that and want to dabble more, then like you say D-ribose as well as NAC, NADH, PQQ and SAMe.
I have a big tub of powder, of which I take about half a teaspoonful in "emergencies", praps another later.

Last edited:
It's a supplement here in the U.S. so I don't know about the U.K., sorry. It's in pill form as well as powdered. I took one, 4,200 mg capsule, today. Honestly I think I had a boost of energy. But I was having a good day already. The best test is when I'm having an exhausted feeling day. I'll report back soon.

Ok thankyou 🌟⭐💫

D-Ribose has helped me quite a bit with energy & stamina. I take 2,000-5,000 per day of the powder mixed in water. 2,000 mg per day is good for maintenance & I increase it when I know I need some extra energy for walking or travel, etc.

That's great to hear. So far for me, I'm seeing I'm taking more on bad days. Thank you for sharing your dosing.

OK, I'm giving up on D-ribose completely now: For me it causes a hangover, slight GI side effects and is very likely bad for my lipids.
I tried 4-5g on two 'event' days, socializing in the early evening, where I needed extra energy for 2 hours.
After getting only strange boosts from it, which only enable me to overdo it more easily, without managing to stop the aftermath,
I looked up if anyone has seen what it does for lipids and saw that at least in rats it increases liver triglycerides.
Then after thinking of overdoing it as a kind of hangover feeling, I on a hunch looked up "hangover without drinking alcohol".
On one of the first pages with many possible causes, the first thing they blamed this on is ..... sugar.
Interesting connection: Only alcohol in higher amounts increases triglycerides, in moderate to low amounts decreases them.
So - I'm provocatively simplifying: Sugar is worse for triglycerides / fatty liver than alcohol... Plus you can get hangovers from both.

So take care:
Ribose is still a simple sugar, despite the fact that it occurs in our bodies and is related to ATP, which "is" our energy.

Last edited:
As a female, I swear by HRT, ie Sandrena 1mg in gell form, a few days a week,
especially on days when I know I will need higher energy levels,
such as trips into town for groceries/shopping, caring for grandchildren & rare days out.
It also enables me to stay active longer during the day & stay up a couple of hours extra.

On 'ordinary' days inbetween,
I take 'Circumin' which is extract from Tumeric, as recommended to me at my local Health Food as a natural alternative to HRT.

Mid afternoons a strong cup of tea with some Chocolate or Cake gives me a sugar energy boost which lasts a couple of hours,
is something to look forward to and makes me happy too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back