DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
Hi everyone,

I know many of you are going to disagree about the decision I made for my cat and I don't blame you. The vet said he is only one level above being normal in his kidney function. He and my other cat absolutely refused to eat the prescribed medication and they were losing weight so I caved and gave them their regular food back. The next step is a feeding tube. I don't want to do that for many reasons, money being one of them. I don't want him to spend the rest of his life being fed through a tube. So I have decided to let nature take it's course. He is doing much better now, eating and drinking and the vomiting has stopped. If he gets worse and starts to lose weight again I will probably have him put to sleep. He has lived a good, long and happy life with us and I just don't want to have him suffer any more than necessary. It will be a sad day but I will get through it somehow.

Krista, who cares if anyone disagree with your decision! You have to at least feel better that you've made a decision. sometimes I think we prolong life for to long. I don't believe in making any living creature suffer if they are close to the end. It's like telling a diabetic on his death bed he can't have his favorite meal because it could kill him! WTF! If your easing his pain that's one thing but prolonging his pain to avoid your own would be selfish.

This is your decision, don't feel guilt or like you have to justify it. Go with your gut.

I am happy for you that you've come to a decision you are comfortable with. It is never easy, one of the worst parts of out living the ones we love. But I wouldn't trade 17 years of love for the heartbreak of letting go for anything.
God bless you and your decision.

Big gentle hug.

Last edited:
It is a chance to relate our afflictions to those of our animal counterparts and appreciate that we could be better placed than them. We can massage our pain, vent and seek for advice but our cousins in the animal kingdom have no such luxury. You have just made me reflect on part debates about the applicability of euthanasia or lack of it. Though in the end if it comes to that, make your cat sleep as peaceably and humanely as possible.

I personally think that what you're doing is completly right, the cat was definitely having a bad time, I would have done the same indeed, I do not see it right from people who judge others because of this kind of acts, you crearly took a right decision and it is definitely the best you could have ever done with the cat, that is my opinion though, good luck.

I agree with Eyesup, your opinion is the one that counts. Our role is only to offer support as needed. For what it's worth I think you're in a tough situation. I would probably make a similar choice in your shoes.

Well done Krista....i nursed both my cats getting up through the night when they reached near the end of their loved and pampered lives.

Both had a few weeks of sudden ill health where they stopped eating and had quite a few vets visits to try and find out what was wrong..various medications to try and fix them but in the end aged 17 and 18 i had to have each put to sleep about a year apart when nothing worked and i could see they were starting to suffer.

It was heart breaking as i loved them like they were my children but quality of life and a kind humane end is the very best we can do.

If your cat seems happy, eats well and gets loved that is far better than prolonging his life with tubes etc.

Last edited:
I think we need to do what's best for the animal and for you, it's your call really and I respect it.

It's obvious that you love your cat, and this is a personal decision we all have to make when the time arises. I'm sure the kitty would prefer to live life in a more natural manner, without tubes. I know that's what I'd prefer. It's often difficult to know what to do, especially when emotions are involved and we have to make difficult decisions, but it sounds as if you made the right one. Lots of hugs for you and your kitty.

Glad to hear that your cat is eating and drinking water. My cat was a stray, and when I got him to the vet,
they said he had struvite crystals (among many other things), so I keep him on canned food, and I add a couple of tablespoons
to the food each time because he won't drink. Prayers to you and cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back