Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
BC
Hi!

For the past 11 months I have had this deep gnawing agonizing pain that brings me to the floor and it’s in my chest and wraps around my rib age all the way around my upper back. The pain comes in waves (2 mins excruciating 30 seconds nothing repeat) for about 20-40 minutes. This only happens 1-3 times a month. For the past 2 months I have had a constant one sided headache (I’ve never had headaches before ). And I quite frequently have electric shock travel down my throat from the left side and electric shock pain in my lower right back. My doctor has dismissed all these pains and I literally cry myself to sleep because nobody believes me but it’s excruciating. If anyone knows what this could be or if it could be fibro anything helps!!

Hi!

For the past 11 months I have had this deep gnawing agonizing pain that brings me to the floor and it’s in my chest and wraps around my rib age all the way around my upper back. The pain comes in waves (2 mins excruciating 30 seconds nothing repeat) for about 20-40 minutes. This only happens 1-3 times a month. For the past 2 months I have had a constant one sided headache (I’ve never had headaches before ). And I quite frequently have electric shock travel down my throat from the left side and electric shock pain in my lower right back. My doctor has dismissed all these pains and I literally cry myself to sleep because nobody believes me but it’s excruciating. If anyone knows what this could be or if it could be fibro anything helps!!
Your question is whether or not this could be fibromyalgia. It could be, but equally it could be something else, or it could be more than one thing, and maybe none of them are fibromyalgia. There are a lot of other things it could be. the only way you will know is to be seen by a doctor and tested for various things. If your doctor has dismissed your pain and experience then you need a new doctor! Many many of us here have experienced what you are going through, with being dismissed and not believed or told it is all in our heads or that we are making it up. We can greatly empathize with you on this! I am very sorry that you are being treated like this. No one deserves to be dismissed when they are in pain.

Find a doctor who will actually listen and believe you and get the tests you need. We are here to support you in this.

I am in Canada and as far as I’m concerned you can’t really fire your doctor and getting a new one takes months. What do I do? :(

That's a tough one. Are you saying the system won't let you change doctors? If so, I think in your position I would make some phone calls to find out if it is really true in all cases. There could be exceptions to this rule that you can find out about.

Make sure when you talk to people, doctors or health system people, about this you stay completely unemotional, speak very calmly and logically. I would actually write myself a script that I could refer to or even read completely over the phone, and I would practice reading it out loud before making any calls. The reason for this is that unfortunately if you show emotion, whether it be frustration or anger or just feeling terrible about the situation you are in, you may very well be dismissed again. I know from experience it just gives them an excuse to call us hysterical.

Another thing you could do is see if there's a different kind of doctor you can see without a referral, and try that. Although I lived in Canada, it was years ago and I don't know the system there now.

In the meantime, you could start doing things that might help you to feel better. I wrote a post about that, which is pinned at the top of this forum. Maybe something there will help. Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back