Dehydration before bed and morning pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedonologist

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
hedon
I've found that when I drink a lot of water just before bed, I have significantly reduced pain in the morning. I discovered this because when I went to bed thirsty, I woke up with more severe chronic pain. By countering this an drinking an unusually large amount of water before bed, I have virtually none in the morning.

You may need to get up 2-3 times in the night but certainly worth it in my opinion.

I thought it was worth sharing as this may be a cure some of you may be looking for.

Thanks for adding this interesting coping skill in helping to reduce pain. The getting out of bed two or three times on a cold winter night may not be so much fun, but with less pain you might not care. :)

I wonder why just before bed? Have you tried drinking more water throughout the day instead? What about using a humidifier at night?

I just asked my husband about that and prior to my asking him he had never thought about it. He said "now that you mention it, it seems like I don't hurt quite as bad if I drink plenty."

Of course right now we are in a trial and error thing where he is cutting himself off from pain pills (break a possible cycle of addiction).

I usually drink 3-4 glasses before bed, and maybe one in the middle of the night. You will get to a stage where you not only no longer feel thirsty, but also feel hydrated. (including sinuses etc). That should be a good indication of when you have drunk enough.

yes I think you are onto to something there with the drinking of lots of water before bed. I have noticed that it does reduce my pain upon waking when I drink more water and liguids at nighttime. Sometimes I hold back when I am getting dehydrated because I do not want to pee all night long, but like you say, it's worth it to wake up with less pain. I think drinking more water and milk and juice throughout the day also helps a lot in general for many ailments including reducing pain. It is a good reminder to keep more hydrated, especially in the winter months and the cold winter we have had. Thanks for the reminder.

I have to try this. I usually do the japanese method of drinking 4 glasses of water on an empty stomach, upon rising, then wait an hour before eating. Before bed, I like to have a high nutrient drink, but it's not a lot of liquid, because I don't like to have to get up and go potty, as it always seems to occur when I'm right in the middle of an excellent dream, lol. But just in case, also try to give that japanese method of 4 glasses of water on an empty stomach when you awake. if you add a little apple cider vinegar to it, you will find that you can empty your gut of feces really fast. it's a good way to get rid of poisons, especially if you have leaky gut.

I wonder if there is any specific reason why some of us get very dehydrated overnight, while some merely get a slight morning thirst. I'm sure there has to be some connection here between our dehydration and chronic pain, even with other conditions like chronic fatigue. I had some gut feeling that it might be blood sugar related, but even when avoid heavy meals in the evening the effect is the same.

I've found that when I drink a lot of water just before bed, I have significantly reduced pain in the morning. I discovered this because when I went to bed thirsty, I woke up with more severe chronic pain. By countering this an drinking an unusually large amount of water before bed, I have virtually none in the morning.

You may need to get up 2-3 times in the night but certainly worth it in my opinion.

I thought it was worth sharing as this may be a cure some of you may be looking for.

I go through periods of intense thirst. I will average about 20-40oz an hour throughout the day and still wake up in the middle night so thirsty.

I kind of have this theory that part of fibromyalgia is a heightened neurological response, we are just more sensitive. So when the body says I am tired, thirsty, etc it really screams at us and regular thirst in us feels like dehydration.

I think it's really important to drink a ton when you have firbo. When I do drink 20oz every hour it helps so much with pain, fatigue.

Of course I have to do a lot of other things to (stretching, foam roller, exercise, water, gluten free, dairy free, no red meat, eat small frequent meals, etc) just to stay in somewhat control.

I always wonder if fibro patients have something wrong with their blood sugar. I wake up thirsty throughout the night. Also in the morning I am always thirsty, dizzy, and have a headache- all blood sugar signs.

I think that there may indeed be a correlation, olim. My mother has problems with her blood sugar and will frequently pass out from it.

I would like to add that there is often a similar effect with napping. In the if I drink a lot during the day, I get the urge for a short nap, and upon waking from that I feel very refreshed. Indeed I'm usually not actually thirsty, but drinking a lot helps me get to sleep. Perhaps the quality of my sleep is being affected by dehydration.

Is there any scientific fact to this dehydration- fibro connection? I feel the same thirst!
A Dr. told me most people have at least mild hypoglycemia, and to take a spoonful of almond butter before going to bed. Helps me although I use sunflower seed butter instead--don't like the former and love the latter.

This system also works for me. I drink a glass a night right before I go to sleep and a glass when I first wake up. It seems like hydration significantly takes down the pain that I have. I also try tea sometimes when I need to be calmed.

I recently found this to work as well. I drink approx 500ml prior to bed and a small glass if I get up through the night. There has been less pain in the morning, easier to move around and getting to sleep was easier. I do find that I get up more though the night for bathroom trips (maybe 1-2 more than normal) but it is definitely worth it in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back