Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
06/2020
Country
US
State
NY
Hi ,
I'm 34 ,young and active Nephrologist , developed wide spread body pains on a pain scale 3/10,pain is floating type ,dull achy it's been 7 days of pain and my Rheumatology colleagues diagnosed me with fibromyalgia ,I have one year baby girl and now scared for my future,my practice as Nephrologist ,what kind of mom I'm going to be for her if I'm in constant conflict with myself about my diagnosis n prognosis,want to ask is fibro a death sentence ,is it progressive ,does this pain worsen ,
I had IBS symptoms on n off very mild form though ....any input on progression is appreciated

@Bhavya I know it's difficult but it's definitely not a death sentence.

I know it's hard to see any positives, but getting a diagnosis is a positive first step.

Now that you've had a diagnosis you're able to research and try methods to manage your fibromyalgia. You'll have some bad days, same as anybody else with or without fibromyalgia. You'll still be able to live a long and positive life, it's just perspective. You'll still have good days and will be an amazing Mom. On the bad days, you can still be there for your daughter and, through everything in life that throws us, you'll be able to share your wisdom and strength with your daughter.

Please don't get too down, or too frustrated. If you can work towards a healthier mental outlook, as well as managing diet and exercise I think you'll be able to look back through this difficult time as a growing experience. Not so different than IBS, a lot of it is proper management and managing expectations.

I hope this was helpful. I am sorry for your diagnosis, but if there's one thing I know, taking a negative perspective will only exasperate the situation and your feelings towards yourself.

You are strong. You are kind. You are good.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton ...ur reply really lifted my spirits

Reactions: Roo
I can't say anything more then what was said above but will agree, your mental health is very important. If you don't hwbe control of it,then it will make things worse.
People hab
very different symptoms and yours could be mild but you'll have your bad days. Just remember that it all passes and look forward to a good day. It's rough but not a death sentence by any means

I have only had Fibro for a year and its been a bad one, but as everyone says here, you have worse days and better days. The trick is to balance your life, give up being superwoman and take self care. Ask for help when you need it. You need to learn to manage your illness and your symptoms. I am using natural approaches to manage my fibro with some success but I feel lucky that I can. I do not have any other conditions. I used to be superwoman, now I am learning to live within my limits.

I have only had Fibro for a year and its been a bad one, but as everyone says here, you have worse days and better days. The trick is to balance your life, give up being superwoman and take self care. Ask for help when you need it. You need to learn to manage your illness and your symptoms. I am using natural approaches to manage my fibro with some success but I feel lucky that I can. I do not have any other conditions. I used to be superwoman, now I am learning to live within my limits.
^ What she said. :) I have had Fibro for many years, I think, although only diagnosed officially maybe 4 to 5 years ago...I am not sure exactly.
It has taken some time and experimentation, but I have learned how to manage it so as to have a pretty normal life most of the time. Not what my life was previously, but not that bad. I have gotten the pain down to a manageable level and even more important have learned how to live with it. You will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back