SulaBlue

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
My mother has Fibro, and was diagnosed several years ago. She also has something the doctors are calling "burning mouth syndrome" where she can't handle ANYTHING spicy, not even black pepper, heck not even anything vinegary like tomatoes or pickles! She gets ulcers in her mouth that look horrible.

The bigger problem, however, is that her teeth are falling apart. Every time I turn around I hear that she's broken a tooth, or broken one of her older crowns. She broke a tooth the other day while eating Brach's jelly beans and has broken one in the past while eating a tortilla chip. We're not talking about exceptionally hard foods like chewing on hard candies or gnawing on tough things like beef jerky here!

At the rate she's going, I'm worried that she's going to end up eating only pureed foods within the next couple of years.

Anyone else having this kind of thing go on? She's also diabetic, and she had a bad, bad, habit of chewing ice for years which has probably done things to her teeth even though it was the "soft" ice, but it's all come about rather suddenly after her diagnosis.

My teeth are just awful. I have breaking problems too but it's mostly from a Dentist when I was in my teens putting too much filling in when it wasn't really needed and in later life have just exploded. It's always when I eat soft stuff too. I think it has something to do with suction and when you do eat hard stuff you are naturally more careful, but who needs to be careful eating a nice soft slice of bread?!

I don't know that mine is related to my fibromyalgia, but I do have horrible teeth. I'm only 26 and in need of a crown. =( I wish there was more that I could say, but I can only offer a similar experience and now I'm wondering if maybe there is a corrolation.

As I child I had what was known as soft teeth, thus I had bad teeth and needed up get a upper at a early age. Have spent a lot of money at the dentist office over the years trying to keep the rest of my own teeth. I sometimes get that burning mouth syndrome usually it is caused by the begining of a fibro flare, but eating some candy or dried fruit can bring on the condition, caused by allergies. I love dried pineapple, but need to watch I don't eat to much because some has sulfer in it.
Maybe you could get your mom hooked on raisins or dried cranberries. Dried kiwi is good too, and it is softer than jelly beans. Good luck with your problem. :)

My teeth are starting to get in bad shape and I take care of the properly. About 3 years ago, one of my bottom teeth chipped off without me biting or chewing on anything. The same thing happened with one of my 2 front teeth on the top. I just felt the broken tooth in my mouth and ran to the bathroom and was shocked. I don't even know what's going on. I know I currently need a root canal on my farthest tooth in the back of my mouth. :(

I am very interested in this. I am new to the Fibro information and I had no idea that it could affect dental things. How do you think this happens, and does it happen to everyone?

1sweed - Unfortunately as a diabetic, dried fruit is right out. Me, I take insulin (she doesn't) so I can sneak it in. I'd love dried kiwi! I've never seen such a thing. Where do you get it?

My mom has been told that she has a "hard bite" and also that it's very possible that she's grinding her teeth. I've done more reading today re, fibro and dental issues and it seems that we may be inclined towards night time teeth grinding due to the pain.

I think I'm going to seriously consider a mouth guard!

I had to visit the dentist just last week, to replace some fillings that just fell out of their own accord. I initially thought that the two were not related, but as I read your posts this relation seems to be the case.

My teeth were fine until I started getting sick, now it is a major concern, they chip and break for nothing, and I get cavities on the oddest places. Good dental hygiene have always been on the top of my list, now I brush 5 times a day. Not that it is helping in any way.

It might be as a result of the medication, or that your body concentrates all of its energy and resources on trying to heal and the lesser needed parts like teeth, hair and nails are just not supported as it is supposed to be. This is just a theory of course.

Knowing I am ot the only person with teeth problems helps a lot in understanding why. Thank you all for sharing.

I do know that some of our medications cause dry mouth. I tried amitriptyline for depression back in the 90s. After not having any cavities for YEARS, I suddenly came up with 8, all in one go. The dentist said it was likely the medications. I think Tramadol also has that side effect. Not sure what other medications we have that cause dry mouth right off the top of my head.

It's just weird how our bodies work. I don't know what to think about my dental problems. I wish there was some magic pill to fix all my issues.

SulaBlue, I get dried kiwi at the grocery store or natural food store. Trader Joe, might have it. Also bulkfoods.com has it in large bags. I buy walnuts and raisins, and dried pineapple that way to save money. If you put the dried fruit in glass canning jars with lids to keep them clean and fresh, it is a good way to store them. Walnuts keep best in the refrigerator.

Eating some dried fruit is a diet no no, but can also hurt your teeth. Try to buy the softer fruits like cranberries and raisins, apples and prunes. All can be soaked in hot water to soften them as well. They are good added fiber as well.

I think cold weather or stress can cause teeth problems from cold air or grinding your teeth at night. Month guards help protect teeth when this happens. Right now I have a sore spot in my upper gum area. Rinsing your mouth out with salt water helps cure teeth and gum problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back