DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
US
State
NC
Hi everyone,

I’m a 37 year old male that was recently diagnosed with FMS. This diagnosis has been pretty tough for me as I have been in the military for the last 19 years, and health has never given me issues until here recently.

In Oct of 2019 I randomly started having sever anxiety/depression for no known reasons out of nowhere, along with random body aches/pains. My GP put me in for all kinds of blood tests and further that my A1C was a little high (5.9) and my Thyroid level was also a little under active (pre clinical hypothyroidism) at 4.2.

After taking a small dose of Synroid to see if my thyroid was causing my issues, we found that it didn’t help and in fact caused worsening symptoms.

I was then referred to a Rheumatologist and he diagnosed me on the spot with FMS saying that I fit the diagnosis to a “T”.

My biggest problem with FMS seems to be with getting a continuous 7-8 hours of sleep. Before last October, I could sleep 10 hours straight and through a hurricane if I wanted to. I’ve always been considered a heavy sleeper my entire life. Now I sleep maybe 3-4 hours and then wake up and toss and then for the last 2-3 hours. Even if I do get 6-7 hours of sleep, it’s never fulfilling and I feel as if I maybe got 1-2 hours.

- Blurry vision has also been an issue. Seems to come and go.

- Things stress me out WAY easier than they used to. I’ve been deployed overseas several times and stress was always decently easy for me to control. Now, it seems as if I’m mad at the world and everyone irritates me. In hand creates stress

- The “Fibro Fog” has me searching for words in my head that have seem to have vanished from my vocabulary. Sometimes even simple conversation can have me feeling like a 4 year old trying to put sentences together. I used to be very quick witted. I feel much less mentally sharp now.

- Chemical sensitivity is an odd one for me. I have become sensitive to most medications. Most medication doses have to basically cut in half in order for me not to be overwhelmed by them. I can’t drink normal coffee like I used to, now I have to drink either decaf of half caf as too much caffeine makes me extremely jittery. I used to be able to hold my own in terms of drinking alcohol(thanks Army lol), now after a couple beers I’m good to go.

- The body aches and pains seem to actually be the least of my issues in terms is Fibro symptoms. Mostly sever lower back pain in the morning when getting out of bed of putting socks on. I do randomly get muscle/joint pains in my hands(finger joints), tops of my feet, and shoulders. I also get a weird topical skin pain right above my hips( like a burning pinch feeling)

Well, sorry for the long first post. I’m looking forward to reading and seeing if other people have similar symptoms as I do. I know Fibro can be a weird syndrome at times and very hard to live with.

- Nick J

Hi everyone,

I’m a 37 year old male that was recently diagnosed with FMS. This diagnosis has been pretty tough for me as I have been in the military for the last 19 years, and health has never given me issues until here recently.

In Oct of 2019 I randomly started having sever anxiety/depression for no known reasons out of nowhere, along with random body aches/pains. My GP put me in for all kinds of blood tests and further that my A1C was a little high (5.9) and my Thyroid level was also a little under active (pre clinical hypothyroidism) at 4.2.

After taking a small dose of Synroid to see if my thyroid was causing my issues, we found that it didn’t help and in fact caused worsening symptoms.

I was then referred to a Rheumatologist and he diagnosed me on the spot with FMS saying that I fit the diagnosis to a “T”.

My biggest problem with FMS seems to be with getting a continuous 7-8 hours of sleep. Before last October, I could sleep 10 hours straight and through a hurricane if I wanted to. I’ve always been considered a heavy sleeper my entire life. Now I sleep maybe 3-4 hours and then wake up and toss and then for the last 2-3 hours. Even if I do get 6-7 hours of sleep, it’s never fulfilling and I feel as if I maybe got 1-2 hours.

- Blurry vision has also been an issue. Seems to come and go.

- Things stress me out WAY easier than they used to. I’ve been deployed overseas several times and stress was always decently easy for me to control. Now, it seems as if I’m mad at the world and everyone irritates me. In hand creates stress

- The “Fibro Fog” has me searching for words in my head that have seem to have vanished from my vocabulary. Sometimes even simple conversation can have me feeling like a 4 year old trying to put sentences together. I used to be very quick witted. I feel much less mentally sharp now.

- Chemical sensitivity is an odd one for me. I have become sensitive to most medications. Most medication doses have to basically cut in half in order for me not to be overwhelmed by them. I can’t drink normal coffee like I used to, now I have to drink either decaf of half caf as too much caffeine makes me extremely jittery. I used to be able to hold my own in terms of drinking alcohol(thanks Army lol), now after a couple beers I’m good to go.

- The body aches and pains seem to actually be the least of my issues in terms is Fibro symptoms. Mostly sever lower back pain in the morning when getting out of bed of putting socks on. I do randomly get muscle/joint pains in my hands(finger joints), tops of my feet, and shoulders. I also get a weird topical skin pain right above my hips( like a burning pinch feeling)

Well, sorry for the long first post. I’m looking forward to reading and seeing if other people have similar symptoms as I do. I know Fibro can be a weird syndrome at times and very hard to live with.

- Nick J
I think most of us can relate. I know I have experienced all those symptoms and then some. I have opted to not take any meds since I tried gabapentin and it did not help with any symptoms at all. I just take it day to day. Some days are "ok" and some days are rough. No one thing seems to work for everyone. From what I have seen and read its all trial and error to try to find your own "cocktail". Sorry you have this nasty illness but know that you are so very not alone!

Hi Nick, welcome, and I am sorry you need to be here.
Most of us here can relate to most if not all of the things you describe. I know I can.
It might be that the irritation and anger you are experiencing comes in part from frustration with having this syndrome and all the pain and problems it brings with it. I know I have been pretty irritated with it myself. It took me quite a while to come to terms with it, as I was always very active and strong, lifted weights, etc. Many things I can't do now, or I could but would pay for it hard for days afterward.

I found that once I got to a place of acceptance of what I am experiencing each day, it helped. Didn't make the day better physically but was better than being angry at the syndrome for wrecking my life, which raised my stress, and made the pain worse. Of course, much easier said than done and some days I still succumb to that annoyance.

I think the best approach in general is to realize you have to be your own advocate, your own researcher, your own laboratory and your own lab technician. You have to try many things and see what works for you, different medication, techniques, and types of exercise. No one can tell you what will work for you, which is really a drag when you feel too exhausted even to get off the couch let alone read reams of research on the internet and try different kinds of exercise. But whatever you can do for yourself in this way will help.

Best of luck to you and come here for support and whatever information we can give; we are happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back