Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
NC
Howdy. Tried literally everything that was ever claimed to help fibro when I had insurance, nothing helps at all except for opiates. Was on 100 mg tramadol 3x a day and Prozac, to get pain down to 3 or 4. New doctor will only prescribe 50 mg tramadol 3x a day and won't prescribe an antidepressant because of a fear of serotonin syndrome. Was laid off of work 3 years ago, no insurance, using indigent clinic.

Sorry to hear this, Bubba. I hope you can find some insurance options. I'm on Cymbalta and trazadone (a new and old antidepressant med) and Tramadol 50 mg 4x day with no issues. My new doc questioned this and contacted a pharmacist who alleviated her concerns. Serotonin syndrome would have shown up on your earlier regimen. In the meantime, try adding 500mg of Tylenol to your tramadol regimen. I read that it can potentiate the effect of tramadol. It has worked for me and I have decreased from 100mg 4x day to 50mg. Doc didn't suggest the idea, but said that amount of Tylenol was okay as I have no liver issues. Good luck.

Thank you, I do take 500mg of Tylenol with the tramadol. I had some bad experiences with Cymbalta, and it got far worse while I was withdrawing from it. Savala wasn't as bad, but it was just as useless. The doctor I recently went to, a GP, is extremely cautious, annoyingly cautious. I took 100mg of tramadol with Prozac for over 2 years with no problems. I recently had a UTI and another GP wouldn't prescribe Keflex, which I have taken several times without a problem, because I am allergic to penicillin; about 10% of people who are allergic to penicillin are also allergic to Keflex. The GP has referred me to the mental health clinic for the depression, but the appointment isn't until December. I have ordered some 5HTP , which is a seretonin precurser and raises serotonin levels, it also has a potential for causing serotonin syndrome with tramadol.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rheumatologist who diagnosed my fibro and prescribed the tramadol the first time told me to take Tylenol with tramadol because of the synergistic effect.

ETA: This post seems incomplete because I had posted a previous response that is waiting to be moderated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back