Diagnosed today after 5 Years! Finally feeling relieved & believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MA53NDY

After 5 years of on off chronic pain, debilitating flares, tests, scans, hospital admissions, tablet trials and a lot of frustration, I finally got a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia today. Feeling overwhelmed yet finally believed and relieved. But I do feel like, what now?

Hi Ma53ndy,

Welcome here!

Yes, the moment of diagnosis with fibro is a bit of a funny one, because on the one hand it feels like arriving somewhere meaningful, but on the other, it opens up a whole new can of worms. The first thing I'll say is that, as scary as it can seem that fibro isn't curable, there are lots of things that we can do to take back control and improve our quality of life.

You've got something solid to work with now in the form of your diagnosis, so the best thing you can do is get busy with adopting all of the life habits that will help you keep your symptoms in check. A big part of this journey is figuring out what will uniquely be helpful to you, because we're all a little different - so you're going to need to go into detective mode. This will mean things like starting to figure out what your triggers are, developing strategies that help you calm flares, and discovering how to create a new version of yourself that will be different from the old one, but just as valuable and self-made.

I'm going to link to a post from our fantastic moderator, Sunkacola, which outlines the basics of managing fibromyalgia through lifestyle below. This is a great place to start, and I really recommend trying to adopt those things in your daily life. From there, you may find poking around here in the forum really helpful, as you'll be able to see things like which treatments, therapies, and supplements different people have found helpful, and perspectives on things like medication. The best way to look at what lies ahead is as a self-led journey. It might not be the one you would have chosen for yourself, but you're going to learn so much about yourself and your innate strength, and probably connect with inspiring people or experience extraordinary things that you wouldn't have otherwise.

None of this is easy, I know, and I'm so sorry you've found yourself at this point, but you'll always find support here in the forum - so ask away and vent whenever you need to 🌻

Hi Ma53ndy,

Welcome here!

Yes, the moment of diagnosis with fibro is a bit of a funny one, because on the one hand it feels like arriving somewhere meaningful, but on the other, it opens up a whole new can of worms. The first thing I'll say is that, as scary as it can seem that fibro isn't curable, there are lots of things that we can do to take back control and improve our quality of life.

You've got something solid to work with now in the form of your diagnosis, so the best thing you can do is get busy with adopting all of the life habits that will help you keep your symptoms in check. A big part of this journey is figuring out what will uniquely be helpful to you, because we're all a little different - so you're going to need to go into detective mode. This will mean things like starting to figure out what your triggers are, developing strategies that help you calm flares, and discovering how to create a new version of yourself that will be different from the old one, but just as valuable and self-made.

I'm going to link to a post from our fantastic moderator, Sunkacola, which outlines the basics of managing fibromyalgia through lifestyle below. This is a great place to start, and I really recommend trying to adopt those things in your daily life. From there, you may find poking around here in the forum really helpful, as you'll be able to see things like which treatments, therapies, and supplements different people have found helpful, and perspectives on things like medication. The best way to look at what lies ahead is as a self-led journey. It might not be the one you would have chosen for yourself, but you're going to learn so much about yourself and your innate strength, and probably connect with inspiring people or experience extraordinary things that you wouldn't have otherwise.

None of this is easy, I know, and I'm so sorry you've found yourself at this point, but you'll always find support here in the forum - so ask away and vent whenever you need to 🌻

Thanks so much for your kind words 😊

Any time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back