Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
MI
Hello!

Got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia today! : /
I'm new to this forum, I've been having questions about my health for as long as I can remember. For the longest I've had pain in a few places. Hands (includes wrist and fingers) ankles, toes, and elbows. I've been tested dozens of times for lupus, RA, and who knows what else. All come back negative.

I've been seeing a doctor now for about two years and after he referred me to a rheumatologist (which also did test and all came back negative for autoimmune diseases or arthritis) I was back at square one. He thinks its fibromyalgia and wants to put me on Cymbalta.

I have only done a little bit of research on fibro. But based on what I've been reading I don't think I have fibro. Of course everyone is different, and every experiences different pain, but I'm really thinking that it could be something else.

For as long as I can remember I've always felt a very dull, daily pain on my wrist, fingers, ankles, feet, toes, and elbows (all in between the joints). I don't have trouble sleeping. I can go about my day with my pain. I don't wake up stiff in the morning. It doesn't stop me from working out, bike riding, running, lifting. It has never stopped me from doing anything. HOWEVER, when I occasionaly have a very painful "flare up" it usually happens when I'm going to bed. Usually I take some over the counter tylenol and go to sleep. Tylenol or any over the counter's haven't really worked. For the most part the pain is dull and constant, it never goes away.

I've joined this forum to see if anyone that does have fibro can tell me about their pain. Is what I'm feeling sound familiar to any of you? Maybe I am wrong. Who knows?! But I do know that after reading about cymbalta I'm scared to take it! Sounds like an intense drug.

fibro newbe,
Hello and welcome to the forum. first off I can tell you I think we all have felt the way that you do, that it can not be fibro and yet remember all your tests have come back negative. I am happy to hear your doctor took your concerns seriously and ordered tests as well as sending you to a rheumatologist. That is the sign of a good doctor who cares about his patient. And again you were tested and it was negative. This is generally when fibro is diagnosed.

I don't know why we all get hyper and worried that it is the wrong diagnosis, but it maybe because we are hoping we have something easy to fix. Like take this pill and your magically cured like on TV. And possibly it is because there is no cure for fibro and we want our life back so badly, that we think okay if it is something else they can remove it and life will be quite normal again. We all have to face up to it in the end and know the best way to help ourselves is to learn management skills and be a team player with our doctors.

As far as medications go, I would say try it and see if it helps you. Some people on the forum found it helpful while others did not. But everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you, but trying is the only way to know. Then if it does not help get off it with your doctors help and try something new.

As you read around the forum you will find many things that you can try at home with household items that can help you with pain management as well as fatigue and other issues. You must take control of your healthcare by learning how to pace yourself and not over do. Maybe you are doing sports that over use your hands and wrists. If fibro is not as you say slowing you down, then you are lucky in a way, but your flares are a signal that you are pushing at the limits of your abilities.

We often say to try and relax more by watching movies or taking bubble baths, or taking a slow nature walk or reading a good book. If your overly worried you might find a therapist to talk with, someone who can be objective and teach you some relaxation skills and will listen to your worries and help you focus on the bright side and ward off depression.

I have had fibro for almost 30 years now and I was like you at first, in denial and I pushed myself hard and did not relax much. I ended up losing my work from being so weak that my arms and legs would not work. I went from doctor to doctor searching for a cure and wasted a lot of hard earned money. And I finally went to see a therapist who taught me the skills I needed to improve my mental health and how to relax and enjoy my life. My family doctor helped me all he could and I survived and learned coping skills.

Be sure to read the back posts as well as the new ones. Keep a notebook handy and jot down what we have all done to improve our conditions and then try them on yourself. ask more questions and join in and give others answers or at least some hope and understanding. We try to be very supportive and in doing so is the best way to make new fibro friends who truly understand all your emotions and can offer you peace of mind when you feel lost or lonely, or even in the dumps. and don't forget we have off-topic subjects and a place to vent.

Glad you found us and look forward to reading your posts. :)

fibro_newbie,

If you are worried that your doctors are wrong perhaps you should consider seeking a second opinion? I am with 1sweed that is has taken me a very long time to come to terms with my diagnosis as well, but if it will make you feel better and more in control to double check then you should definitely give it a try.

Personally I have been diagnosed for about 12 years and I have had a wide range of physical ability during that time. I don't know how old you are but I am 22, so when I was younger I was not as affected by the fatigue (although flare ups were an exception). I was able to fence competitively for a while in high school. Since entering my 20s my pain and fatigue has increased a lot more and I haven't been able to recently. Like you said, everyone's experience and tolerances are different and they will also fluctuate with fibro and with age and other health factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back