Diagnosis
09/1999
Country
UK
State
Hampshire
Just introducing myself.
Hi
I was diagnosed with CFS in 1999, following a couple of years of constant viral infections. I was given various blood tests which all came back negative. My white cells were mapped and found to be working properly in response to each infection, but still new infections hit. I also had Campyla Bacta. I was told I was suffering from premenstrual tension/syndrome, but as the time of the exhaustion and mood swings moved further away from my menstrual cycle I was told it must then be depression. It was also made clear that I had probably been having IBS attacks since the age of 5.

I then moved area and with new eyes looking at my history I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was given antidepressant medication and told to rest. (It was suggested I have my 3 children fostered for a while which I declined). I was given some in- house counseling where the biology of the limbic system and the basics of the workings of the amygdala brain were explained. I found this 'CBT' extremely useful.

As time went on it became obvious that the anti-depressants were doing more harm than good but I couldn't get off them. The side effects were awful and affected my vision, gave me dizziness and seemed to make me more depressed. I found a good homeopath who enabled me to stop taking the medication and discussed dietary options. A locum GP from Germany advised me to take forceval supplements daily which have proven to be very useful. (I can’t take them now because they were making me feel nauseous)

When I was first diagnosed I learned to pace my activity. My GP told me if I really feel ill, to walk round the garden. If I feel worse to rest and if I feel a bit better to do more. I have used that advise to self-pace my day ever since. I have had to also learn though that to do too much may not affect me immediately but will make me feel worse for later days. There is a balance to be made between what I feel I can do now and what I can do and remain able. This confuses people around me as they see this as giving up or giving in to the condition.

Family stresses during this early recovery time led me through some mental health sessions.

There are definite times when I appear to go into near remission and other times when I crash. I have no control over this. When I crash I NEED to be heard by GPs and not dismissed. I realize that nothing can be done, but I often need the reassurance that a crash will pass and that nothing else is going on with my health. It is very frightening to have pain around various organs (especially the heart) and feel this pain is discounted because I have CFS.

Sleep is a major issue. I find it hard to fall asleep and wake up. This means I’ve lost my mornings and sit up alone most nights. I tried a course of Melatonin, which did work for a short time, but slowly it all went back how it was. I do use some occasional melatonin sublingually when it gets me down. It obvious I am highly sensitive to most medications so keep it to a minimum.

In January 2011 I began an alternative treatment. He gave me an E.I.S. scan and for the first time I was able to see clearly where the problems are in my body. My brain is under functioning to a level where proper sleep is not possible. My gut is over functioning to the point where it is not absorbing properly. The chemicals between my brain and gut are not balanced properly. I am reacting to toxins building up in my body.
I have been given a diet sheet which includes avoiding dairy, potato, tomato, and wheat, I have mostly fish and not much meat. I have cut out caffeine and sweeteners completely and have cut down on sugars. I have acupuncture, bio resonance, skenar and homeopathic drops. I go once a month for treatment. Since being on this diet I haven't needed any IBS medication. Dairy, caffeine and yeast (and mushrooms) especially are definite triggers for abdominal pain. I took an anti-histamine daily for about a year which seemed to help.

After researching various sites including Dr Myhills site I started taking co enzyme Q10 (to support mitochondrial function) and some cod liver oil in the morning, and some magnesium and a multi vitamin and mineral at night. I use Epson salts in the bath, which helps with pain. I’ve found the 9 commandments for pain very useful.

(I also tried 5HTP which gave me lots of side effects so I stopped it again)

During 2012 I was given time on a far infrared (FIR) biomat and found it hugely helpful. It detoxes naturally. I have to drink loads of water when using it. I was lucky enough to be given some money which has allowed me to buy a FIR cocoon to use at home. I have had to build up my use of it slowly, but now use the cocoon almost daily. It’s good to have a break from it monthly. I also break from all supplements at the same time.

I look after my spiritual side which I feel is also very important. I try to use Qi gong regularly.

So I’m much better than I was. I still can’t work because of my mornings and my unreliability. My children are all grown up now. I look after my grandson 3 times a week, which is a joy. I manage to take him to the park.

So that’s my ‘recovery story’. Obviously there’s no cure, but I feel I’m on the right track for being the best I can be.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

M x

I tried 5-HTP before, one thing I will say is be VERY careful where you leave it. I left it out on a table not realizing that just because it was an off-the-shelf herbal remedy that it's still very dangerous. Sadly, while I was out of the house my dog got into it and by the time I came home he had already passed away. A sad story indeed, but I swore to myself to let people know that 5-HTP and many herb-based off-the-shelf remedies can still be extremely dangerous when taken in excess, or left out for animals and children.

Dextoxing your story is very informative of what you have and what you are going and have been through. And I am glad you are doing better. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thank you David. I have some 5htp left on my bedside table. I'll take it to a chemist x thanks for the heads up x

re: sleep or lack of

I am presently trying the melatonin at night time to try and get sleep. I wish I could say that it is working well. I have found the strongest dose made and am using that. My complaint is the same. It does not kick in when I want it to....ie. when I go to bed at midnight. I am going to hang in there for a while longer. Still looking for the magic sleep aid.

Michelle

Hi Michelle I'm Russ, a newbie to this site.

I have had fibromyalgia for 35 years and IBS since 1994, but I have a hard time disciplining myself to stop eating those food groups especially wheat. I am determined to try. I did not know about potatoes and I am permanently bloated.

Thanks for the encouragement

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, welcome, welcome :)

Detoxing, I found the information you have provided to be very interesting and sad too, I feel bad that your having so many problems.

I am very careful about what herbal supplements I take because of my allergies, but do find taking vitamin C and echinacea, help during the winter months to ward off colds and flu.

I also use cod liver oil capsules. I take ginger root capsules for pain. And have tried evening primrose capsules as well.

I have used Betaine hydrochloride/pepsin with ox bile, which helps me digest food better.

Been using a protein powder that I mix in juice or almond milk. It helps with vitamins and minerals, seems to give me more energy.
Thought about trying superfood powder, but it is very expensive.

I have not tried any sleep aids because the best sleep aid I have found is having a fiber bed pad layed on top of regular matteress. It is about 2-3 inches thick and makes sleeping easy for it is so comfortable and helps give extra protect from painful muscles. I also use a vibrating mat to relax my muscles or take a bath in warm water and epson salts before bedtime.

Some nights I listen to music before bedtime or watch a funny movie.

Some of the things you mentioned I have not heard of before, the E.I.S. scan & FIR biomat. What are they and what did they help with in means of your health problems?

Detoxing, I found the information you have provided to be very interesting and sad too, I feel bad that your having so many problems.

I am very careful about what herbal supplements I take because of my allergies, but do find taking vitamin C and echinacea, help during the winter months to ward off colds and flu.

I also use cod liver oil capsules. I take ginger root capsules for pain. And have tried evening primrose capsules as well.

I have used Betaine hydrochloride/pepsin with ox bile, which helps me digest food better.

Been using a protein powder that I mix in juice or almond milk. It helps with vitamins and minerals, seems to give me more energy.
Thought about trying superfood powder, but it is very expensive.

I have not tried any sleep aids because the best sleep aid I have found is having a fiber bed pad layed on top of regular matteress. It is about 2-3 inches thick and makes sleeping easy for it is so comfortable and helps give extra protect from painful muscles. I also use a vibrating mat to relax my muscles or take a bath in warm water and epson salts before bedtime.

Some nights I listen to music before bedtime or watch a funny movie.

Some of the things you mentioned I have not heard of before, the E.I.S. scan & FIR biomat. What are they and what did they help with in means of your health problems?

An EIS scan is purely diagnostic. It shows up fluids around organs in colours showing what is work well, what is under functioning and what is over functioning. This was the first time I could see clearly what was going on. Its really helped with my acceptance of my condtion. Especially as I have family member who constantly tell me theres nothing wrong.

FIR biomat is about detoxing. I'm finding it really useful. I use a biomat at the clinic I go to once a month, but now have a FIR cocoon at home, so I'm using it quite regularly, almost daily (lovely in these cold days !). They are quite expensive, but I'm finding mine really helpful (and so is my husband who is not a sufferer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back