Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
UK
State
Wiltshire
Just got back from the rhumatology consultant with diagnosis for fibromyalgia. Awaiting test results and xrays to show if osteo-arthritis is present. Relieved that I now know why I have felt so bad the last few years. It took so long to sort out my thyroid (with Hashimoto's Thyroidits) and put all my symptoms down to that. Has been a long wait to get this far and get answers that I desperately needed so long ago. At least I know what I'm dealing with, and hopefully in the next week will see doctor to change medications accordingly once the hospital have sent details over.

I'm so fed up of feeling bad for no apparent reason! I was a software engineer, that seems to be so far back in the past now I can't think of returning to that when able to work. So maybe a new career is on the horizon. Always hopeful and remain positive... doesn't stop the odd dark day though. Lovely nurse that took my bloods told me to find a forum to join for some support, and information.. .so here I am! :)

I'm glad you did find this forum! Everyone here has been really supportive, kind, and understanding. It's been helpful for me, and I'm sure it will be for you as well.

I feel for you. I quit my job last November so I could go full time into healing myself. I'm trying not to think too much about pursuing my career dreams, because the reality is that I'm not capable of working at this time and there's no point in torturing myself with the thought of leading a normal life any time soon. My doctor says there is hope for me, that I'll be able to get back into a somewhat normal life again. But it may be years. So I take it one day at a time, enjoying life with every chance I get. I'm doing my best to enjoy my hobbies whenever I can, so I don't feel like I'm spending all this time accomplishing nothing but getting my health back. My husband and parents have been really supportive and huge blessings for me. I hope you have people in your life you can rely on!

Thanks Siderea. I do have supportive kids, and my other half, although he lives miles away and usually wear myself out by the time I have travelled to see him! He is disabled after an accident so doesnt get to come to see me yet (working on that). There is a little support here to return into some form of work, so going through various ideas to work at home, maybe bring out my creative side again! I have lots of physio lined up and being introduced to a local support group run at the hospital too. All sounds positive to me! I've had this a long while now, so just so happy to understand what the cause is, and pray meds will make it better to cope with... day by day is how i live, worry about tomorrow when I wake up (if I eventually get some sleep haha) :rolleyes:

Sat here this morning, feeling the roughest I ever had, but actually so much happier now I know what I have.. and no longer "fear" taking other meds blaming them, or other conditions for how I feel. Coping so much better :)

Congrats on staying positive, Sue! That's super important! I feel glad you found out what is really going on with you, there is nothing better than that, because living in uncertainty is the worst that can happen to a patient. It's great you found a good doctor who diagnosed you accurately. You are very lucky in that sense, because being in the right hands is really important. I hope you get the right mix of medications. Please keep us posted :)

Thanks so much Trellum.I am very lucky! Went out today and got hair and nails done, and feel tons better about myself. Being in limbo, not understanding what was up with me, led me to neglect myself while concentrating too much on trying not to feel so bad! Pain all day, but deal with it now, knowing it's not "all in my head" :D

Another congrats on staying positive! I agree that finally knowing the reason for years of crazy symptoms really helps one cope.

A productive weekend was had... I did some reading up, on some of my symptoms. The most frustrating is the restless legs that stop me from sleeping, making me more tired, which in turn makes it worse. An article mentioned the use of Magnesium to help ease it, so out I went to the local supermarket and bought some cheap vitamin and mineral tablets, which contains 300mg Magnesium. Well.....

First night I had a reduction in the fidgetting, still the same pain, but not so annoying.... Second night, even more improvement! So went back and bought the whole shelf of the tablets haha! They are cheap but on special offer, so I have heaps! Will see how the week continues... but after 4 hrs sleep last night I woke refreshed, and able to do so much more today! Amazing what a simple mineral is doing! Keeping a symptons diary for my rheumatologist, and see what she thinks with the results. My first win with all these symptoms! Yay! If I wasn't in so much pain I would of done a little dance! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back