Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
US
State
TX
For those unfamiliar with it, diaphragmatic breathing is also called deep or stomach breathing. Over the years, many of us have developed a habit of shallow (or chest) breathing, which is associated with holding tension in our bodies.

If you've ever watched a baby sleep, you can see their stomachs rising with their breaths. Diaphragmatic breathing is used to retrain our bodies to focus on our breathing, and learn how to breathe deeply again. Focusing on our breaths tends to help us slow not only our breathing, but also our minds.

Fibromyalgia can not only leave us in pain, but can also affect our family and professional lives, as well as our finances. Those effects can tend to lead to, or can exacerbate pre-existing anxiety and depression. Life with Fibromyalgia often feels out of control.

Learning to use diaphragmatic breathing can help us to release excess muscular tension, thereby decreasing our pain levels, and also calm our minds, so we feel more in control of our bodies and our lives.

There are slight variations in how people do diaphragmatic breathing, and instructions can easily be found by conducting an internet search, just make sure you obtain your information from a reputable site.

I start my day with this kind of breathing :) I use it for relaxing first thing in the morning. I breathe in slowly while counting to 5 in my head, then while counting to 8 I let all the air out through my mouth. It works wonders :) I actually try this anytime I feel like I need it. I'ts a pity we are used to this shallow breathing :(

Yes, I think this should be taught in schools. It could be labeled under health, or even sports, and should definitely be included in any type of anger management or other behavior modification coursework. I use it on a daily basis, and the interesting thing is that not only can it relax your body and mind, it can also energize you, since you're taking in additional oxygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back