Did you receive disability without much struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said it depends a lot on the state you live in and of course the caseworkers and judges. You have to keep really good medical records and get copies of all the letters your doctors share with each other. That way you know what they know. I have in the past had doctor's who were really supportive in the office visit and then said really bad things about me in their letters to my family doctor. And I had ones that were rude and nasty in the office visit and then wrote nice supportive letters back to my family doctor.

Try to have a family doctor who will share things with you as to what other doctors think about your health issues. You have to get records however, from the doctor's office that wrote the letter. that is do to the privacy laws.
If you have tests done, get the results in writing, don't just go by what is said in the office or hospital. Keep your own record of the problems you have but don't lie or over do on your symptoms.

On disability you have to learn to live within your means. Money for food and rent, and other important things comes first. Sometimes if your income is low and you don't own anything other than a car, you can get low-income housing and food stamps. Some get SSI instead of SSD, if you don't have enough work credits.

To find out about the work credits, go to your local Social Security office or call them and request a copy of your SS statement that shows how much money you paided into the system and it also shows if you have any disability work credits. If you don't have enough credits then sometimes you are given SSI instead.

I only know these things from having been through it all. If you want you can go to the local vocational rehab office and see if they can help get you some training for a new job. This shows your trying to work. Even if it does not work out it shows you tried.

Thats all I can think of now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back