kmpisces

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
This is for those who are on disability. I am wondering if there was anyone who was actually approved on the first time? I know it is not likely to happen. I just wondered if anyone had a positive experience from the start.

I am waiting to hear right now. I thought it would be settled one way or another by Christmas--last Christmas but I am still messing around with them! I was denied once and filed a repeal. They sure are stingy with their benefits. Their excuse was that I was too educated. What good is education if you cannot sit, stand, or move for a whole hour, let alone work a job? I have tried, I didn't last an hour.

Very few people are approved the first time you apply. Usually you are turned down and so begins the long haul of appealing the decision and filling out the paper work. If you need disability then do not give up when you are turned down, this is what they hope you will do. It is important to appeal again and again, until you win. Some people get it in two to four years, it took me seven years total.
The benefits are hardly enough to live on, but some people qualifity for SSI as well. It depends on your household income. Some get medicare and others get medicaid with the disability.
Also be sure to go to any doctor appointments they set up as it helps in the deciding of your case. Keep good records of any doctors you see and tests you have done. As well as your day to day symptoms and problems. Good Luck! :)

It took my dad about a year to get approved. I don't recall if he got denied the first time, or if the process just took a really long time. In his case, he was fortunate enough to qualify for early retirement (once the disability was approved) so he could get pension from his union job.

Good luck to you, in any case!

I had no trouble. I went on disability from my job with the fed govt first. Then was sent to a doctor to check my records of back problems and a psychologist. Both approved me for disability. My PCP filled out forms and answered questions. He is the one that said I should not work. The stress really made things so much worse.
Val

I was approved only 3 mos. after applying! I couldn't believe how smoothly mine went. I don't know if it had something to do with my age (I'm 60) or the fact that I'd worked for 25 years. But I was very pleased with the way it went. BTW, this was on my own....no lawyer.

I did not have much luck with disability. It was actually pretty poopy. I was denied twice, and the 2nd time, they told me though I couldn't do my previous job anymore, that I had enough education and work experience to find something else. I could have appealed it, but I gave up. I would not suggest that for others though. I was just too tired to try anymore.

I think it has a lot to do with who your caseworker is. I just happened to get one that didn't seem to care much.

What kind of benefits do you get? Is it enough to cover rent and food? I haven't really looked into this though I probably should because I am in constant pain at work. I will have to do some research. What tips do you have for the application process?

I took my sister a while to be approved, I think nearly one year. I'm still working on mine, but I don't know if this can work, because I'm not living in el paso full time. I like to spend some months in the other side of the border with my mom. I might be leaving the country after 1 or 2 years, so if I get rejected this time... I might never try it again.

For anyone who was accepted, what kind of income do you get from disability? Is it sufficient to live off of? I hear the ssdi applications are back logged for a year or two. That's the current state of our failed capitalism. They might as well give every u.s. resident a monthly stipend for food and rent. Jobs will be there for people who want to raise a family or partake in luxuries like sporting events, movies, video games etc. That is the future.

I think each individual income goes by how many jobs and how much a person has paid in through the years. So, not everyone gets paid the same.

Yes, it goes by the income you have had over your years of working. And if you have enough work credits to get disability. Also different states, meaning where ever you get approved at seems to make a difference on amount of money. And you get your back pay for several years as well. Some people can recieve SSI and other benifits depending on how much money you have in the bank and property you own. Other benifits you might get is reduced rent through HUD and food stamps.

When you get SSD, sometimes you get medicare right away, or else you get medicaid. There is also an option to work through the ticket to work plan. They try to find you a job to increase your income or to get you off SSD. It is a bit confusing to me that you struggle to get disability and then they offer you job training to get you off disability. seems to me they should offer the job help first and maybe through help and training you would not need SSD. But our gov always does things backwards. lol :)

How many years do you have to work to qualify? I'm only in my thirties but I have nothing in the bank and own no property. I don't understand why they would offer us jobs after granting us disability either. You are right, that makes zero sense. Ah, but that is the bureaucracy of the times.

I honestly don't think getting SSI or SSDI is easy or without struggle for anyone! The only people I've seen get it faster, are those who already had it before, or those who contact people higher up in order to advocate for them. For most people I know, it takes a year, and the earliest is 6 months. Even 6 months is kind of rare, though. I've also heard most people get denied the first time, but it's vital to reapply because you'll probably get it the 2nd time around.

6 months ?! a year!? wow, you all are lucky. It's been over 2 years for me. denied twice, went infront of a judge, denied again, now waiting on appeal of judges decision. (i feel i may have not picked the right lawyer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back