Not open for further replies.

Fishinabowl

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Oregon
I just want to know what works with some people's diet. My boyfriend with Fibro is trying dairy free, but it seems to be making him worse in some ways. We did find out that he is probably lactose intolerant, so that was the good side to it.

My question is what diets do YOU do or have tried?;-)

Does it really matter? Does it just depend on the person what special diet is worth the effort, etc.?

I think everyone is different. What works for one person may not work for another. I tend to be lactose intolerant myself. So a no dairy diet does work for me. I also happen to have IBS quite often. i think alot of peoplewith fibro do suffer from this. So even though I love spicy colorful foods. I really have to be careful what I am doing. I do make soy milk a part of diet everyday. it actually helps coat my stomach. But like I said I really think everyone is different. So your boyfriend should write down his daily intake of food and liquids and observe what he does or does not react to. That way he will have a guideline of what foods to eat.

But like I said I really think everyone is different. So your boyfriend should write down his daily intake of food and liquids and observe what he does or does not react to. That way he will have a guideline of what foods to eat.

I think this is a very good idea and you're 100% right about everyone being different. I've read so many things on Fibro (and IBS) and there's like a huge information overload on the Internet... which wouldn't be so bad in itself, but much of it is conflicting information. :(

I think this is one area where we *do* need to be our own doctor and figure out which foods are safe, which hurt us, and which don't have an affect one way or the other.

I came here to find this out too, I don't really want to take any of the prescription medicine being offered. I have gave up milk as well and it actually seemed to help a little but I really like cheese so.. I still have some dairy. Thanks for the idea to write down my foods and keep track of what I eat on my worst days, I actually didn't think that food would have an impact on it at first.

I came here to find this out too, I don't really want to take any of the prescription medicine being offered. I have gave up milk as well and it actually seemed to help a little but I really like cheese so.. I still have some dairy. Thanks for the idea to write down my foods and keep track of what I eat on my worst days, I actually didn't think that food would have an impact on it at first.

I think it's hard to understand (at least for me) how eating some of these foods can relate to Fibro. IBS, absolutely, but it's a little harder to realize what the impact may be, like you said. But then I remember that certain melons make arthritis flare and there are foods that make gout flare, and many other illnesses, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out if some things add to a flare of Fibro as well.

I have some minor issues with milk, but want to avoid soy as much as possible due to hormone issues since I have hypothyroid issues and PCOS. Not a fan of almond milk. I drink raw milk (which can be very hard to find) from a reputable, licensed local dairy. Both my husband (who is very lactose intolerant) and I are both able to drink it with no issues.

I'm also trying to eat an anti-inflammatory diet, ala Dr. Weil with more fish, less red meat, only eating grass-fed/pastured red meat. I can't afford pastured chicken as well... $4 a pound for chicken just seems crazy. I get a steep discount on my organic produce and grass fed beef, goat, lamb, and wild boar through a CSA so that's more doable.

It is also a good idea to remember that all symptoms your having may not be from fibro, but may be food allergies that are causing a flare up of the fibro. Pain and rashes, redness and fever, even feeling hot when there is no reason for it can be a sign of food allergies.
So keeping a list of what you eat and noting if anything causes the above symptoms may be a good management tool. I found out that eating chicken caused muscle pain and melons cause bad ear aches. Peanuts and peanut butter causes rashes and swelling in my throat.

Many times we want to say that this is all fibro, but we have to remember we can and do develop other health concerns as well. Just be open to this and you might be surprized. :)

I just want to know what works with some people's diet. My boyfriend with Fibro is trying dairy free, but it seems to be making him worse in some ways. We did find out that he is probably lactose intolerant, so that was the good side to it.

My question is what diets do YOU do or have tried?;-)

Does it really matter? Does it just depend on the person what special diet is worth the effort, etc.?

I found that some foods are just too difficult to digest, anymore. They drag me down for days after I eat them.

I avoid beef, but still eat chicken and turkey. I have to limit my ham intake because it's just too salty for me, sometimes. I avoid cow's milk and ice cream, using soy milk and frozen, fat free yogurt, when I can get it, instead of ice cream.

We tend to eat more vegetables than some people, though, and rely on hummus as a cheese replacement and for snacking purposes.

I'll splurge and have real sugar in my coffee for a Saturday morning treat, but we do not keep a lot of sugar in the house. I buy graham crackers instead of cookies.

If I avoid beef, lots of sugar, and most prepackaged snacks, I find my days easier and I am less tired at 4 pm. When I start adding some of the foods back in, especially beef, I feel bloated and uncomfortable most of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back